• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Sorry Carolina no more info on the caption someone else might know I'm sure there's a number on the second house but it distorts when I zoom in

Berniew, I think it must be towards the top end of Park Road going towards Handsworth as I cannot remember houses looking like that.

Bernie found the picture on Ancestry - Daniel Bradley inherited 127 & 128 Park Road Hockley from his mother Amelia where she lived

View attachment 86014
127 and 128 Park Road Hockley old houses

I disagree with with the caption on this picture. I lived at 1/140 Park Rd,which was opposite Whitmore St. Walking up Park Rd from the Flat the house numbers were getting higher, so 127 & 128 would have been before where I lived, and I can safely say that there were no houses like that near to where I lived, besides, it was evens one side of the road and odds the other. I cannot think whereabouts in Park Rd those houses would be.

Terry

This is a picture of me leaning on a car that was parked outside 140. As you can see 128 would be behind me just about on the bend.

Terry

Attachments

• park rd (Medium).jpg
    park rd (Medium).jpg
    115 KB · Views: 123
smashing pic of your there terry...i agree also that the pic of park road does not look right...im afraid it looks like another wrong caption but we can only post what they say and we rely on members who know the areas to put us right...bet you were leaning on that car wishing it was yours lol

lyn

smashing pic of your there terry...i agree also that the pic of park road does not look right...im afraid it looks like another wrong caption but we can only post what they say and we rely on members who know the areas to put us right...bet you were leaning on that car wishing it was yours lol

lyn

Morning Lyn, the car belonged to the people who used to babysit me while mom and dad was at work. Thats the first car I can ever remember going in.
Terry

Have to dis-agree with your comment on post #1628 Bernie. I dont think its a mess at all. Just look at the great advertisements covering the wall. Lovely.

That's a great photo Terry. It's amazing what you can spot in the background of these photo's. Nice car as well.

This pic is the other side of the rd to where the car is.

Terry

Attachments

• ParkRoad-WhitmoreStreetHockley-5-8-1968 (Medium).jpg
    ParkRoad-WhitmoreStreetHockley-5-8-1968 (Medium).jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 143
Can one of you fellow Brumies please tell tell me step by step AB@C/123? How to post a pic on here my kids are abroad Regards Don.

These are all fine pictures of course and what comes to mind, for me anyway, are the suttle disconnects with today , here and there. On the previous post one can see a junction, not more down town but a fairly major one never the less and there are the corner shops. More of them here say than the corner Aston and Nechells single instance of a grocers or something, (fellow 'back to backers' not to take offence). More because of a more affluent area of houses and more money to spend maybe. Anyway this area now is maybe nothing to shout home about but back then it looks more grand. What I was wanting to say was that the modern version does not seem to include the corner store anymore, with shopkeepers living in premisses above. Now more likely an uninspiring parking lot with lock-up stores of no distinction representing national chains. No shopkeepers, making a living and adding to the flavour of the community with their lives and attractive stores in keeping with the surroundings.
If one could look down that road or similar ones now it would be lined with cars perhaps. Back then we had the trees and the sidewalks and the neighbors we knew and one could go to the city on the tram which would be by every ten minutes or so. (ok a half hour and then three come by) Still one wonders what has been gained overall in the quality of life. In the constant search for immediacy to offset a lack of depth. I am reminded of a pal's often repeated joking statement 'deep down it is shallow'.

Hi Berniew, in reply to your post no.1578 I'm sorry I don't know whether the Victoria Playhouse, Aston, was part of a small chain. What I do remember is that an older girl in our street asked me whether I would like to go to the Victoria Playhouse
with her, in my ignorance - I was very young - I thought it was where there were lots of toys and games to play. What a disappointment when I found it was a cinema.

Back