• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

GreenLane_looking towards the vine pub.jpg
Green Lane opposite Prince Albert Street Hi Derek I have been meaning to post these couple of pics for some time they show the old houses we spoke about on the Green Lane thread this is the front , obviousley

coventry road number3 kieth.jpgPretty sure this is the back of the houses during demolition a clever bloke on another forum worked it out the pic is Keith Berry's but the caption said Coventry Road

Berniew.....that was how Elmdon looked like when l flew out on my first ever flight on a DC3 in 1956....more tears....l was alone and l did'nt want to leave....flew to Glasgow then flew out of Prestwick to New York....from NY l got on another plane and it took 9 hours to get to Dallas, it must have stopped at every state.....funny how those pictures of Potters hill and Elmdon has brought all those memories back....l often think if l would have ever done it again, it was such a big step to take for someone who had only ever travelled 100miles ever...and to do it alone. the world was a much bigger place then than it is today........Brenda

Hello Bernie....I've just worked out where those houses were in Green Lane,I remember when they was demolished..they are going to recycle similar houses in Stoke on Trent and Liverpool,no bad thing that.

Hi Brenda it must have been a torrid time but hopefully taking that huge step gave you a better life . Hi Derek they may have been able to save the houses but they were in a really poor condition and a lot of the housing stock around there has been saved . They have done a lot of work on the library building but not in keeping with the original velux windows in the roof but I suppose most of the façade has been saved from falling down

Stephen...thank you for asking about why l left the uk...well in those days we always did as we were told...my husband Ron left a good 2months ahead of me and l was told by my dad if your husband goes to "Timbuctoo", my place was to be with him...l think l cried everyday for 2years l was so homesick ...but even though its maybe a better life l still get homesick for England especially Brum....Brenda

Stephen...thank you for asking about why l left the uk...well in those days we always did as we were told...my husband Ron left a good 2months ahead of me and l was told by my dad if your husband goes to "Timbuctoo", my place was to be with him...l think l cried everyday for 2years l was so homesick ...but even though its maybe a better life l still get homesick for England especially Brum....Brenda
Think you need a good sniff of the Brummagem air, cop this..
[video=youtube;V3nExaCmfu4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3nExaCmfu4[/video]

My memories, being of an early teenager living in the fringe area of Solihull, was that on my many forays by bicyle or bus was the smell was quite dependant on which part Of Birmingham you were in. Older folks probably could have guessed the location of some areas even if blindfolded. :friendly_wink:

Regarding homesickness: I have to say that is in my older years that any nostalgia for earlier times ever arose. I guess that applies equally to many Forum Members. I think that it is because the City of Birmingham has changed, in many places beyond my recognition, that I do not hanker to return to former haunts. Ar!

My memories, being of an early teenager living in the fringe area of Solihull, was that on my many forays by bicyle or bus was the smell was quite dependant on which part Of Birmingham you were in. Older folks probably could have guessed the location of some areas even if blindfolded. :friendly_wink:

Regarding homesickness: I have to say that is in my older years that any nostalgia for earlier times ever arose. I guess that applies equally to many Forum Members. I think that it is because the City of Birmingham has changed, in many places beyond my recognition, that I do not hanker to return to former haunts. Ar!
On may way home from work i found myself often waiting for a number 8 bus at Aston Cross where the HP Sauce odour would mix together with the Ansells brewery odour, i don't remember it being a pleasant experience. However my first job was across town in Stirchley and the chocolate odour from Cadbury's was a much more pleasing experience. Does it still smell today i wonder as i haven't been that way in ages?.

I had a relative move to Canada years ago and sadly she's no longer with us but she never settled although she lived there thirty years. Sometimes it's not always the place is it, but the people you leave behind. She would have come back in a flash and i now entertain her family when they visit and they love it here partly because their mother loved it too and always told them so.

Brumgum....you've made my day..thank you for the video...l know everywhere seems so grey and grimmey but it was home was'nt it, thank goodness someone took the time and effort to take pictures, it keeps our past and memories alive....even though life in Texas was so different to living in Brum , at least the weather was a plus but every time l visited back home it was still a wrench to come back to the usa....and l know if Ron had said lets go back l would have had my bags packed in a flash...But...he never said it....once again thank you ...Brenda

Brumgum....you've made my day..thank you for the video...l know everywhere seems so grey and grimmey but it was home was'nt it, thank goodness someone took the time and effort to take pictures, it keeps our past and memories alive....even though life in Texas was so different to living in Brum , at least the weather was a plus but every time l visited back home it was still a wrench to come back to the usa....and l know if Ron had said lets go back l would have had my bags packed in a flash...But...he never said it....once again thank you ...Brenda

you're very welcome Brenda, you wouldn't have liked it here this winter i should thinkyardley 152.jpgmy poor garden:uncomfortableness:

Have another, you can actually have a jive around to this one if you like..
[video=youtube;ryR7HIFNMVo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryR7HIFNMVo&list=PL94DA9CA02541EF76&index= 43[/video]

loved the 2 videeo clips you put on. Did you see Old Cross street on post 1660 and 1661 .
I bet you'r Dad walked down there many times to get some chips from Bob's fish and chip shop in
Coleshill Street.

Brumgum what are the names of the videos please so I can forward to my cousin in Canada. Thanks
It's at the top of the video box, if you click on that it will take you to YouTube or you could just copy and paste this thread:peaceful:.

loved the 2 videeo clips you put on. Did you see Old Cross street on post 1660 and 1661 .
I bet you'r Dad walked down there many times to get some chips from Bob's fish and chip shop in
Coleshill Street.
Yes, i have a chat with him every night and have informed him about those. Chips!, i feel hungry now:excitement:eek:nly had cheese on toast tonight:sour:

Back