• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

That hospital was a restaurant called Old Orleans but it's been empty for a few years.

And that bank further down is now a fast food takeaway!

Most of the office blocks have been converted into hotels (and are now open).

Is 2 demolition sites that need building on.

It's just full of night clubs and bars!

I wonder if the Five Ways Shopping Centre is due for renovation any time soon, as new hoardings went up (the Australian hotel scheme?)

That building is now for sale (from the last few times I saw it from the no 50 bus).

Here it is in 2010 - was used a office premises I think.

That was 3 years ago. There is a For Sale / To Let sign up on it now.

It is Grade II* listed by English Heritage, so it is protected.

I love the picture of Cuckoo Rd Berniew and have included the link to 1890 map. So this photo shows tram lines which the map does not...also overhead electric cables; so this must be about 1920s maybe. A busy scene for the outskirts perhaps and the foreground row houses are possibly what many of us remember with dedicated ouitside loo at the rear but no small front garden here for some reason. You can see on the left side in the distance where what looks like courts of back to backs begin and St Clements Mission Hall sitting a little back of the frontage and immediately left is Argyle Street where the bicycle is. We are transported back to a time long ago.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10085&ox=1540&oy=2067&zm=1&czm=1&x=504&y=404

I love the picture of Cuckoo Rd Berniew and have included the link to 1890 map. So this photo shows tram lines which the map does not...also overhead electric cables; so this must be about 1920s maybe. A busy scene for the outskirts perhaps and the foreground row houses are possibly what many of us remember with dedicated ouitside loo at the rear but no small front garden here for some reason. You can see on the left side in the distance where what looks like courts of back to backs begin and St Clements Mission Hall sitting a little back of the frontage and immediately left is Argyle Street where the bicycle is. We are transported back to a time long ago.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10085&ox=1540&oy=2067&zm=1&czm=1&x=504&y=404

Notice only one set of Tram lines a one way system around Nechells at that time from The Green up Thimble Mill Lane down Long Acre along Cuckoo Rd and up Nechells Park Rd back to The Green.

Back