• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Thank you for the City Rd. picture berniew. Dad used to say it's one and a quarter miles long, feels more when you walk it! (Those were the days!)
My husband couldn't remember the right-hand corner the other day, I'll show him when he wakes up. It looks wonderful with no cars.
rosie.

These are all fine pictures of course and what comes to mind, for me anyway, are the suttle disconnects with today , here and there. On the previous post one can see a junction, not more down town but a fairly major one never the less and there are the corner shops. More of them here say than the corner Aston and Nechells single instance of a grocers or something, (fellow 'back to backers' not to take offence). More because of a more affluent area of houses and more money to spend maybe. Anyway this area now is maybe nothing to shout home about but back then it looks more grand. What I was wanting to say was that the modern version does not seem to include the corner store anymore, with shopkeepers living in premisses above. Now more likely an uninspiring parking lot with lock-up stores of no distinction representing national chains. No shopkeepers, making a living and adding to the flavour of the community with their lives and attractive stores in keeping with the surroundings.
If one could look down that road or similar ones now it would be lined with cars perhaps. Back then we had the trees and the sidewalks and the neighbors we knew and one could go to the city on the tram which would be by every ten minutes or so. (ok a half hour and then three come by) Still one wonders what has been gained overall in the quality of life. In the constant search for immediacy to offset a lack of depth. I am reminded of a pal's often repeated joking statement 'deep down it is shallow'.

How very well put,and how I agree,Rupert.

Hi Rupert I know that these two pictures are postcards but generally in pictures pre 1965 there is vary little litter on the streets in comparison with today and I suppose parked cars every where are not the prettiest site

Another stunning shot of a simpler time and have included the 1890 OS map of where I think it must be and since it is a steam tram, the map must be about the same time period. There is only a single track there so the steam tram must have had to go into the tram depot and reverse out onto Birchfield Road where it was sitting awaiting passengers. The reversing was so that the engine would be at the front for the return trip to town. The map is unfortunately across a page so will try and give a link to both. You will see that Aston Villa had a ground there at one time and now this has become an allotment patch the vague outlines of which can be seen on GE to be about what the soccer ground was. In the distance a bridge crosses the railway but cannot be seen. Beyond the bridge you can see the green trees in front of what would have been another Christ Church at a fork in the road and possibly a spire or tower or something.
It's a gorgeous scene and there might be a little more to glean here. On the right may be the windows of the Perry Bar Institute according to the map, which would have been a library by this time that was demolished in 2007. The conductor seems to be holding what may be a flag...possibly to warn coach traffic of the reversing tram. Two young girls in frocks watching the procedings and perhaps waiting to cross the road to the library. Everything pretty much as the map shows. One of the great photo's on this forum.
If you click on the maps; where you click will move to centre so that you can move around and see more. Except that the maps are at the bottom and top of a page and will not move in those directions. It helps to be zoomed at 100%.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...eetid=10073&ox=0&oy=0&zm=1&czm=10&x=140&y=421

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...id=10074&ox=1267&oy=228&zm=1&czm=1&x=318&y=21

Loved the pics of Old Cross Street, Bernie. You don't have any earlier ones of the street do you? I have g.g. grandparents who lived in that street .

Judy

Sorry Judy but I will keep an eye out but I know Phil has a lot of pics from around Gosta Green , Dudeston way he may be able to help

that picture brings back so many memories of "home", l see the tram lines have been filled in so the picture was taken early 1950's, the day l left the uk in 1956 l walked up potters hill with one suitcase to get a ride to Elmdon, lots of tears.....Brenda

When you look at Potters Hill today it is unrecognisable except for the Pub. It has all been wiped away. It is sad...not that todays views are not nice in many ways...trees and greenery and fresh buildings in places...but sad because, well, the wiping away part. For us anyway; because it was a part of our lives. A bit grubby but still a part that has gone for ever.
I suppose if the whole procedure was reversed we would be saying...geesh what a hole this is.

Yeah, I remember the ride to Elmdon too and the flight to London to fly to Canada. Seems strange now walking out over the tarmac to climb the ladder into the prop plane. I think it was the right thing but you can never go home again.

Back