• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Yes they are great. I enlarge them. I get boggle eyed on this thing like now. I just drag them on to my desk top. enlarge the size in the instruction box a bit, this stops them bit mapping too sooon then I blow them up. Changeing the colour or claruty helps sometimes.

Looking at the number of cans by the bus I would guess that it had run out of petrol. I have seen this photo before but this is the first time I have realised the cans were there.

bristol road dated 1967

img639.jpg

stratford road with stoney lane on the left dated 1952

img640.jpg

Looking again at this Stratford Road junction pic I noticed that the bus driver/conductor? is riding a motorized bicycle. That how it appears as it looks like it has a registration plate front and rear.

A couple of images of the Clock at Five Ways, over the years it has moved around five ways like a chess piece.

Attachments

• Five Ways Clock (2).JPG
    Five Ways Clock (2).JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Five Ways Clock 1906.JPG
    Five Ways Clock 1906.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 54
  • Five Ways Clock.JPG
    Five Ways Clock.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 61
  • s.JPG
    s.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Five Ways, Five Ways.jpg
    Five Ways, Five Ways.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 58
I see the shops were more diverse like the one selling pets and fancy goods. Maybe the law was different to then. In Cov we had shop that sold pet food and baby clothes and a barbershop selling fishing tackle.

Phil some superb photos. Thats how I remember Five Ways in your picture No 4 when we moved to Edgbaston (just off Francis Road to a new maisonette in Huntly Road). I remember there was a great cake shop just on the corner of Hagley Road and Broad Street, I think it was Pattisons. The rum babas were to die for. It also shows TI House where I worked from 1966 onwards.

I lived in both Norfolk Road and on Hagley Road West in the late 50s early 60's, and remember both photos No.3 and 4 well as I regularly went backwards and forwards on the bus into town and to work. At one time I worked as a temp secretary in the old TI House (Pic 4) - bit earlier than you Carolina! I can't say I remember the clock but I guess it was there during that time. The cake shop I remember was Kunzles but that was in Broad Street.

Judy

No probs folks...I nick most of my stuff and ideas from Phil anyway....he tolerates me quite well considering....and nowhere in Brum is safe from his files! Meanwhile...why not? A few more of that grand old landmark...

Five Ways 2.jpgFive Ways 1920.jpgFive Ways 1914 copy.jpgFive ways bus.jpgFw Clock 2.jpg

and here is Five Ways nearing its 'celestial' completion (as in the pinnacle of heavenly white line orderliness)

https://ribapix.com/image.php?i=89790&r=2&t=4&x=1&ref=RIBA47275

Even just one side of Islington Row would take up the width of the 1890's thoroughfare. Carolina's photo of Kunzle's shows just one part of Birmingham. At the time, on the verge of unimagined change not known to it, still comfortable in its architectural pride and position. Yet only a few years-maybe a decade-later a victim of architectural arrogance.

What wonderful pictures Dennis, I love the one with the early omnibus driver refueling the bus from cans? Does anyone know what that statue is or who it was?. Paul

The tower block in the centre of the photo linked in Richie's post I remember being built and watched it being demolished

Paul the statue would be John Sturge, manufacturing chemist and benefactor whose factory was in Wheelys Road

Nice after...and before....1952...1854...just a hundred years or so difference...Queens Drive....Great Queen Street...I know which I prefer....

Queens Drive 1952.jpgGreat Queen Street painting copy.jpg

Absolutely love the painting Dennis. One of my personal favourites. It's got so much in that painting; the station, the market traders, the pubs, the fruit and veg baskets, a variety of hats, signwriting on the walls, carts, .... God I could go on, and usually do! But what is also great about the view is that it's not of the Market Hall, but looking away from it. Now don't get me wrong, I like the Market Hall, but what a refreshing view to see a street with lots going on, no one main focus and a product of what's sitting behind the artist. I can spend quality time just checking out the details. Thanks for posting. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#3684, Thanks for that Dennis, found it very interesting, I remember walking down that hill to New St Station, very excited at seeing all the steam trains, and going to London on one.Paul

Was Kunzles named after the cakes. I made my mum laugh as I called them Nuzzle cakes. If people from then and it was not than long ago walked about now they wouldn't know where they were and vice versa.

Nico. This is an extract from the website of J Lyons & Co.
[SIZE=-1]The firm of C. Kunzle Ltd was started in the early twenties by Christian Kunzle, a Swiss chef, who worked for a time at the House of Commons, Westminster. He opened a number of restaurants in and around Birmingham and the factory was established to supply cakes and pastry to these restaurants and later, to agencies.

[/SIZE]
Kunzel was also known as a philanthopist who sent sick children to a sanitorium in Switzerland[SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]

Thanks David I just remember Lyons's café in Broadgate. Did you have a Gladdings or were they just a Cov patisserie? Their cakes were special.

I remember the "Kunzel's", fancies, little oblong cakes covered in different coloured icing with little swirls on top, yum, yum.

A nice gritty view down Holloway Head c1950, taken from around Washington St by the looks of it.

Attachments

• Hollaway Head .jpg
    Hollaway Head .jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 107
Back