• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Is Francis Road anywhere near Raglan Road Edgbaston,?? as there is a church with a tall spire, on the corner with Pershore Road.

Paul as you can see its on Hagley Road. Francis Road is the last road on the left hand side before you get to Five Ways.

Francis Road Congregational church is described in British History online as " cruciform in plan and has a tall spired tower at the west end.".This would have been next to the Edgebaston assembly rooms

Lindyloo
The 1905 map would be from the 1st revision of the original 1880s survey. For Birmingham this was apparently carried out in 1901-2. The 1916 map presumably would be from the 2nd revision carried out in Birmingham in 1913. So the "window" for the buildings would be 1901-1913. Source of dates iis "Ordnance Survey Maps, a concise guide for historians" by Richard Oliver.

mikejee, thanks for that information, I will bear that in mind for future reference. The time window you have given fits well with the 1912 Electoral Roll too :encouragement: There is a name and date plaque on one of the houses further down the road but I will have to look next time I pass it as I cannot make it out on Googlemaps. But I think those houses on that side of Stockfield Road were built first.

Do you know if the gaps in the numbers on the Electoral Roll indicate unoccupied property ???

Lindy loo
In general, if numbers are missing then there can be several causes: the property could be a shop and no-one with a vote lived there; it could be empty; for a large property (often a pub, th eproperty takes up two numbers, but often only one is listed; or the street was numbered giving each "plot " a number, and no house was built on that number. However you refer aprticularly to the 1913 census, and , with certasin exceptions for local elections only, women did not have a vote until 1918, and therefore there were many houses not listed at all

Hi Mike and Lindyloo I had a look at the date plaque and there is either no inscription or it has been covered by render or paint . It's the same as the street view just a few scratches

The Assembly rooms at the junction of Francis Rd and Hagley Rd with the Congregational church next door.

Attachments

• Edgbaston Hagley Rd - Francis Rd Assembly Rooms 1890.JPG
    Edgbaston Hagley Rd - Francis Rd Assembly Rooms 1890.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 47
Ah, Rileys Pianos (and organs and other stuff). There's best part of a thread on this somewhere and one or two more pics.

Maurice

Mud maybe? I wonder why there are photos of horses? I had a calendar of old litho prints and one month depicted France's equivalent of the RSPCA but the animals portrayed were dogs and the odd cat around the feet of the veterinary nurse. She was a lot sexier than this one. It's a lovely building though.

Carolina

Great photo of Moseley Rd, not one I have seen before. I would imagine the large building to the right in the shadows would be the Friends Institute building as 214 would be close to there. I don't ever remember seeing the building or anything like it, so perhaps the building was demolished to make way for Hawleys Bakery.

This photo of Moseley Road is from 1914 according to the date, it would be a bit further up the road on the other side. I've never been able to work out what the large building on the left was. It's located just before Stratford Place and you can just make out the trees in Highgate Park in front of the building, that I am assuming is the refreshments rooms at 151 Moseley Rd in Kelly's 1913, but if anybody knows different, please let me know.

Attachments

• Highgate Moseley rd opp Stratford Place 1914.JPG
    Highgate Moseley rd opp Stratford Place 1914.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 82
It's the right area Dennis and the right location, but perhaps it's a little early and before the building was built?

Yeah....agreed.....and the land about there then was a school? ...and your building looks very suspiciously like a Pub to this miserable sinner...?

Dennis

Admit it everything looks like a pub to you, though the nearest pub to this location would have been the Plough & Harrow just down the road and that would have fit inside one room of that building.

Dennis

Admit it everything looks like a pub to you, though the nearest pub to this location would have been the Plough & Harrow just down the road and that would have fit inside one room of that building.

Mea culpa...although you have been known to be a bit culpa yourself on the odd occasions on here!!

Hi all great photo's, would anyone have any photo's of houses in Moseley street opp Birmingham horse pub by bobs café before they knocked them down. Thank you

Friends meeting house was an extention to the main building you see and was extended area years later with upper floors to the side of the building
And in passing just before you reached the big building that's where the tree clearance was for hawleys bakery
When you walked passing the large building with its extent ion and in the picture along the road waiting on your left of the picture two horse and carts
And you can see the little gates to enter the friends society then you see habit of trees and a little built wall which was a big house
Whom owned it at that period I am not to sure but the rest of the trees was cleared to make a drive up or just say a drive in
Which was later turned in to the Birmingham remand home for juveniles all sent by the courts which kept them there
On your right facing was the extent ion of the boys and girls school which ran around into Stratford place ajoing the parks
Later in years that school went to junior age kids they brought in and openened up a front entrance for the school of the city of Birmingham. Owned
Along on your right of the picture you can see some high building more or next to the school going up the road
They was big Victorian houses with big chimneys stacks and with about five or six front steps to walk up to get through the front door of the house
And in the distance was asdennis said the pub it could have been the name he said but I ant to sure at the moment
And the laser huge building you could make out by the chimneys in sought would have been the little fire station I think it was one or two engine es to its name
That fire station was never modernised they sold the building and many years later they built the one on ickneild port rd. Along side the monument
Road swimming baths on the subject of the old Victorian rd the lady whom was responsible in charge at the city remand centre from day one was an very old lady by the name of Steele whom lived in those big Victorian houses with the garage and called which went under the house windows into a dip
I recall the house of mosely street and of bobs cafe just around the corner from. Bobs cafe was a scrap yard and that's where the horse and carts
Would have gone when they weighed there rags and lead into the yard and the ragandbone man getting mug of train those days

I recall very well as I worked for division the builders of wrentham street whom had all the contracts for the Birmingham city council for property repairs after the war
We covered all that area right up to bristol street and the back street of all those back to back house and there brew houses
When they started to redeveloped the scrapped yard moved and made a name for themselves
O best wishes astonian,,,,,,,PS , just like to say I wrote a price on this forum along with other old members whom are not with us now sadly about ten years ago

Hi all great photo's, would anyone have any photo's of houses in Moseley street opp Birmingham horse pub by bobs café before they knocked them down. Thank you

Hi Jimbo,

This is the best I can do, but at least it does show two of the houses next to Bobs Café on Moseley Street.

Attachments

• Digbeth Moseley St Cafe (Bob).jpg
    Digbeth Moseley St Cafe (Bob).jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 57
Phil
This is a better one of the cottages, taken at the same time as the other one.

26A__moseley_st___north_side_near_rea_st.jpg

Mike are these your photos then because it wasn't one of the ones you gave me. I keep those separate from my collection and if I ever use one of them I always acknowledge you.

Yes they are mine , Phil. I think I put the one of the cafe on the forum a long time ago, and I think you said you had a friend or relative who ran it at one time, if I remember rightly, and you probably got it from there. Don't worry I know you are careful on attribution.

Back