• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

edcartemo, Here is the view just around the corner in Abbey Street, Alan it looks to be taken about the same time as Lyn's photo and it was taken in 1951 according to the tag

Attachments

• Hockley Abbey St - Lodge Rd 1951.jpg
    Hockley Abbey St - Lodge Rd 1951.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 92
Hi Phil
Yes indeed it as to be as I can recall that right on the bend as you start to walk down abbey street
I bet my mate Micky would have loved to see this pic many thanks to you and Lyn guys
Have a nice day best wishes Alan,,,,astonian,,,,,,,,,

AlcesterRd Moseley heading toward Kings Heath. The builders yard on the right would be about where the post office is now, taken about 1896.

Attachments

• Moseley Alcester Rd 1896 Bullock & Hooper.JPG
    Moseley Alcester Rd 1896 Bullock & Hooper.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 80
Absolutely lovely scene, I can still see the stagecoach of 80years earlier in my minds eye, rolling round that bend, some of the little lanes around my childhood down "Illy way", looked nearly the same in the 50's.Paul

Hi Lynn
Have had a quick search through your photos of old Birmingham - loved it!
My dad was the licensee of the 'Crosskeys' and the 'Eagle' pubs, probably 1960's. I think the first pub was near the bull ring and all I remember is the smell of the brown sauce factory for the Eagle. Mom and dad used to go to the market on a saturday and bring back a bag of broken biscuits and crabs claws which we attacked with a hammer!! Strange what you remember............... Do you have any photos of the area from then?

Oh Katrina what memories! My Dad used to bring back crab claws from the market too. Loved them. Haven't had one for years now :-(
Judy

Katrina

You say the pubs were near the Bull Ring, would the Cross Keys be the one on the corner of Sherlock St and Jamaica Row, Was the "Eagle" the Eagle & Ball on the corner of Sherlock St & Moseley St. I have a photo of the Cross Keys but the Eagle & Ball might be harder to find.

Attachments

• City Cross Keys Sherlock Street_  Jamaica Row.jpg
    City Cross Keys Sherlock Street_ Jamaica Row.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 55
Hi Phil
I have a picture of the Birmingham arms,number 1 moat. Row. Next door at 577 was s, being /co out fitters,
Sherlock street east is on the left the picture of the pub was taken. 1 st September 1957
The said manager. 1. L,a, chantril, 2. Mrs Emily stokes, it was a m an b house
And it looks summarily to the cross keys astonian,,,,,,,,, Alan,,,,

Hi Phil
Just a follow through I have a picture of the cross keys pub, 91 Jamaica row, corner of sherlock. Street
Manager 1. G,j, bunn , 2. J,w jesson , an an sells house
Best wishes astonian,,,,,, Alan,,,

Thank you for the photo - I have put it out to the family to see if stirs memories! the Eagle pub was only 'The Eagle'. Not sure if it was near the 'Swan' factory? Surely within the smell of the sauce factory!

hi katrina just been putting together the bits of info you gave on the two pubs your dad once ran...you mentioned the smell of the brown sauce factory and i can only think of HP sauce but that was down aston cross..also the swan factory and that was in camden st near spring hill....there was and still is a cross keys pub in steward st which is very near to camden st and the only other eagle pub i can think of is the golden eagle that was in hill st city centre...

i am just wonderding if it maybe useful to have your dads name as someone who has access to the 1960/65 electoral rolls maybe able to look it up to find out for sure where the pubs were...just a thought

lyn

Last edited:
Katrina,

Going on the "within the smell of the sauce factory" clue and it only being called the Eagle I would guess it to be the Eagle Inn Park Road Aston which was close by the HP sauce factory. Here is a photo, see if it raises any memory.

Attachments

• Aston Eagle Upper Sutton St - Park Lane .jpg
    Aston Eagle Upper Sutton St - Park Lane .jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 113
well done phil.. if the eagle was near the HP good chance its that one..

lyn

Last edited:
I was just about to suggest the Eagle in Upper Sutton Street. My husband's grandfather was licensee there until the mid-1940's when he died. This is a really good picture and I know he'll be pleased to see it. Thanks.

Katrina,

Going on the "within the smell of the sauce factory" clue and it only being called the Eagle I would guess it to be the Eagle Inn Park Road Aston which was close by the HP sauce factory. Here is a photo, see if it raises any memory.

Sorry all, It's the Eagle Inn Park Lane - Upper Sutton Street and not "Park Road"as I stated.

phil there are lots of good pics on the park lane thread...could show the eagle on there..will take a look and dont worry about the mix up..i am always confusing park road with park lane..

lyn

Hi Pete, just spotted where you lived and now live, I to lived in Summer lane and now in Cornwall, would be interesting to know when, where and what school you went to.
Love looking through this site brings back so many good memories.

A big thank you to everyone for your warm welcome to the forum for a newbie! I have passed the photos of the crosskeys and eagle pubs to my older sisters because I was only little at the time, waiting for their replies. My mum and dad were George and Dora Edwards. The last I see of them is on the electoral role of 1955 in Inkerman street which is where I was born in 1957. If anyone can find them after that it would be great, I have no access to later records. Also my paternal grandparents James and Rosina Edward lived at 46 Franchise Street for some years - does anyone have any pics of that area?
Thanks again and looking forward to meeting you at the Christmas meet
Katrina

They now seem to be on the online electoral roll after 1955 (possibly you looked some time ago before the site expanded their dates). 1955-1960 they are at 61 Inkerman st. then in 1962-65 they are at 49b Wickham House. Great Lister St. The online roll goes to 1965 now.

They now seem to be on the online electoral roll after 1955 (possibly you looked some time ago before the site expanded their dates). 1955-1960 they are at 61 Inkerman st. then in 1962-65 they are at 49b Wickham House. Great Lister St. The online roll goes to 1965 now.
Hi Mike
Thank you for that. I have been looking at the electoral roll on ancestry.com, are the newer ones on another site?

I think this might be it , aome time ago and then more recently. At least I think itg says electromagnets on the far left section

factory_bond_st.jpg

Thank you finding the picture. My sister worked there firstly as office junior and then in the accounts dept 1961 to 1967. She remembers the company director Mr Claridge as a very nice person, good with the staff. They moved offices to the other side of the road in a new building in 1961. She had to use a Burroughs accounting machine. The ledger card was put in the top and information typed in like a typewriter but it also calculated the invoices (well before computers but was highly technical at the time............).

burroughs__sensimatic.jpg
Katrina, The Burroughs Sensimatic Accounting Machine from 1955. It was a lot bigger than it appears in this photo. Compare it with the flowers in the vase.

That brings back memories, l worked on a similar older model when l worked at John Wrights ,thimble mill Lane ,..it was very loud and clang clanged when doing a transaction....how times have changed with the introduction of computers.....Brenda

Back