• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Thread closed for discussion by moderating team with regards to possible removal of "off Topic" posts.

Colin

Hello from a new member who has been lurking here for some time. Thanks for the lovely pictures and accompanying stories. They've been really enjoyable.

With regard to post #561, Phil asked (two years ago, admittedly) "does anyone know why they demolished the footbridge by [Bournville] College?" This was followed by some speculation as to why it was pulled down.

I live a couple of minutes' walk from there and would like to confirm that the bridge is actually still standing and in regular use. As for it overlooking offices in Bournville Lane Police Station, there was a story in the Birmingham Mail a few years ago that a woman had mauled a sunlounger and a six-pack of beer onto the bridge on a particularly sunny day. The police were reportedly oblivious to this until the by now refreshed woman started throwing the empty cans over the bridge onto the passing cars below.

Bournville College, by the way, has now been completely demolished, and the old people's home (or "village," as they're styling it) which is to replace it is being thrown up at a fair old rate.

Apologies if anybody else has mentioned the bridge. There are about 200 pages of this thread I've yet to see!

Martin.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love all these old pics are there any of Acocks Green from the forties onwards please? Also where can I get copies of these pics?

I think there is an old Acocks Green website Claire - someone will know for sure.

Here are links to some forum pics of Acocks Green as far as I know from 1940s onwards. To copy them right click on a pic and save to your computer.

westley road..acocks green..dated 1975
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38737&p=447029#post447029
station road acocks green dated..1956
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38737&p=455298#post455298
Acocks Green picture Playhouse corner of Station Road and Warwick Road
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38737&p=485769#post485769
Westley Road Acocks Green
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38737&p=490139#post490139
YardleyRoad Acocks Green
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38737&p=490523#post490523
Hay Hall Road 1950
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38169&p=422232#post422232

There are many other pics of Acocks Green but earlier than 1940.

What a super photo Carolina, so many people!!, dos anyone know when the big cast-iron clock on 5 ways disappeared, I am sure I remember it from the early 60's. Paul

What a super photo Carolina, so many people!!, dos anyone know when the big cast-iron clock on 5 ways disappeared, I am sure I remember it from the early 60's. Paul

I think the clock disappeared with the rebuilding of the Five Ways area in the second half of the 1960s. Is it the one that was resited at the junction of High St and Union St or was that the Kings Head clock.

Hi David
The old iron clock was changed in 1956.7. Year

And replaced by another clock and when they started to regenerate old five ways
They changed it again and as progress went on
With five ways and Islington row they moved the clock further over towards the hotel where the american president stayed there
Best wishes astonian. Alan,,,

Hi David
To my recollection the clock had been moved there times during my memory span the first one was removed and changed
And put it in the oriniginal postion from where it was taken then they brought it forward afew yards then they repainted it
Then they built that shopping complex with a multi car park with the pub restaurant above the shops where you went up the steps to it
It was around that period then finally because of the big under. Passes and the giant ring rd and replaced with the smart new one where it is today ever since
By the hotel I was living with my mother and sister in cawdor crescent just around the corner from there and because of the connections to the licence pub s
I had to spend some time there with so folks for showing them the ropes best wishes David Alan,,,,,,,,,

00000YARDLEY ROAD MAP 1916.jpg00000yardley rd by cemetary 1900s.jpgCan anyone tell me when these houses in Yardley Road were built they are shown on the 1916 map but not on a 1905 map and are next to the tram depot .There was a cottage demolished on the site of the tram depot Rose Cottage on Yardley road was there on the 1905 map This map courtesy of Lynne Robinson

berniew, Rose Cottage appears to be on the opposite side of the road to the Tram Depot and was still named on a later map (1919-1921) The building still appears to be there on a 1938 map. I have checked the 1911 census, but it does not (to me) give a clear indication of whether those houses were built then or not.

Thanks for that Lindyloo I will recheck the 1905 map .Have you any idea when the tram depot and the houses next to it were built please
regards Bernie

Hi Lindyloo and thanks for looking 0000000 1905 map.jpgI have borrowed another 1905 map courtesy of Lynne Robinson and it looks like the tram depot could have been built in the grounds of Rose Cottage , I think

Hi Bernie, With regard to the Tram Depot, the earliest mention I have found is in the 1899 Kelly's Directory where it was recorded as Birmingham General Omnibus Co Ltd and the only other listed in that stretch, at that time, between what we know as The Swan Island and the cemetery, is David Adcock at Rose Villa.

Although the label for Rose Cottage is on the left of the road on the 1905 map, I believe it refers to the buildings on the right of the road. Whether or not the land to the left of the road belonged to Rose Cottage, I do not know.

With regard to when the houses were built, as you know they appear on the 1916 map, which puts the date somewhere between 1905 and 1916. But I don't have access to any maps for the in between years. As I mentioned, the 1911 census doesn't give an indication that they had been built then.
By 1913 Kellys records more people in that stretch and in 1915 more still.
(Just found something which might be more conclusive)>>>....If the numbers all remained the same then it would appear that the houses had been built by 1912 because they are recorded on the 1912 Electoral roll as shown in the attached picture.
I'm no expert Bernie and I could be totally wrong, I can only go on what I have found..
1912 Electoral Roll Yardley Rd.JPG

Lindyloo
The 1905 map would be from the 1st revision of the original 1880s survey. For Birmingham this was apparently carried out in 1901-2. The 1916 map presumably would be from the 2nd revision carried out in Birmingham in 1913. So the "window" for the buildings would be 1901-1913. Source of dates iis "Ordnance Survey Maps, a concise guide for historians" by Richard Oliver.

Thanks for all the information Lindyloo and Mikejee It is very helpful and I appreciate your time and effort
regards Bernie

Caroline,
On an earlier thread regarding Bingley Hall, I told the story of playing a weeks "dep" in the band when Chipperfield's Circus were at Bingley Hall. I was the toughest "gig" I ever did. Not only playing the drums with the band, but having to watch the acts, for the various whistles, sirens, hooters rattles etc, that I had to blow/shake, while still playing and keeping the rhythm going. With a few laughs and frowns from my fellow musicians, I got through the week. Eddie

David I have to agree with you as we lived from the 60s just off Francis Road - Duchess Road; I dont recognise it much either. I thought it may be the lower part of Francis Road towards Ladywood Road, but again not sure about the steeple.

David just done a little search on line and found we are looking the wrong way it is attached to the Edgbaston Assembly Rooms on corner of Hagley Road and Francis Road

Last edited:
Back