• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

Steve
For some reason I don't seem able to see photo on post 659. Can see all the others

Moving across town we are now in Vauxhall Road and the Co Operative Dairy, an imposing brick built building , the full milk bottling process was was carried out here and I remember seeing the lines of milk bottles marching past when on the train to Duddeston. Not much to add here - nice selection of cars couple of Metros and a Maesto and an old Lada

View attachment 183584
I presume that another word, e.g. Birmingham, once existed on the top of the building as the words Co-operative and Dairy look out of balance in this photograph.

I apologies for the quality of the next image which is the Rose and Crown Brealey Street, love the lamp out the front , the little round window on the side and the angle of the roof at the rear - over a flight of stairs possibly. The land at the rear has some pailings

View attachment 183099
Chestnut fencing i used to erect miles of it in Kingstanding and Sheldon gardens for BHD

I am at a loss for the next picture so need you help, is it Pegtex Limited, fine cobbled street and a fifties brick built building - I am guessing here, and no other clues I am afraid as it is not mentioned on my list -
EDIT From A Sparks
The company name is Pegrex Ltd... Pegrex is in New John Street Birmingham - Thankyou

20230108160226_12.jpg

Last edited:
I am at a loss for the next picture so need you help, is it Pegtex Limited, fine cobbled street and a fifties brick built building - I am guessing here, and no other clues I am afraid as it is not mentioned on my list
View attachment 183611
The company name is Pegrex Ltd...

Pegrex is in New John Street Birmingham. You can view a list of neighbouring businesses by going to the New John Street page.

This poorer quality image is The Bricklayers Arms Potter Hill Aston - which doesn't sound right - see the brewery lorry with actual barrels on it and the chains round the lorry to keep the load in - there is also an interesting selection of vehicles in the street. See also the fine chimneys sash windows and the general street scene
20230108160509_04.jpg

and finally the last image off the roll apart from duplicates is this interesting picture which is titled the old British Railway Hockley Depot. This is not strictly correct as you can see the horse drawn wagons have GWR on them so pre nationalisation, but the rest should be correct as Hockley was on the Great Western line north from Snow Hill . Fine corrugated building although not a horse in site !!
20230108160509_05.jpg

Now I may be back on track with my list ( or completely wrong) how does the Black Horse Bristol Road sound?
A fine mock a beon building with timbers all over it, main road in front with bus stop and traffic bollards - no year - any suggestions?
The Black Horse ,Northfield, I used to pass it every day driving from Rednal to Birmingham centre from 1961, built in 1929-30 it's now a grade II* listed building, the building had its Grade-II heritage status upgraded to II* in August 2015.

and finally the last image off the roll apart from duplicates is this interesting picture which is titled the old British Railway Hockley Depot. This is not strictly correct as you can see the horse drawn wagons have GWR on them so pre nationalisation, but the rest should be correct as Hockley was on the Great Western line north from Snow Hill . Fine corrugated building although not a horse in site !!
View attachment 183616

Took a few photos of the building immediately before its demolition

5A.jpg6A.jpg7A.jpg8A.jpg9A.jpg

Good evening, apologies, I have a random photo to post, I have been asked by Colin Wright, if I have any pictures of the bridge between the two post offices in Hill Street, I think this general view shows the bridge in question, a very interested picture which shows Hall of memory and a lot of buildings within the centre and you can work out what is there and not, apparently 10th March 1932 , one of Lyns picture so original source is unknown.

20230125212910_02.jpg

Moving now on to Roll 144, all scanned all tidied, I come to the details list and it says "Not come out" So I am afraid your help is needed, some I will write what I see others will need more assistance. It may be that other rolls have these pictures with a title but we shall see.

I offer an easy one to start, old car, Holliday Street, this is 1992 - I have that much !, Nice lamp in the background

EDIT: From Eric Gibson " Hillman Minx "

20230128201522_03.jpg

Last edited:
First of the no details , Nice pub on the left with railings, school boy on the pavement , nice selection of lamps and a fine lorry leaving a cloud of exhaust behind it. Probably a photo of a picture / photo someone may recognise the location.
EDIT: Both Rob T and Sheldon John have said the following: " Could it be 'The Dolphin' Warwick Road, Acocks Green? There's a Aldi & Farm Foods there now."

20230128201522_05.jpg

Last edited:
This time the pub is on the right - Ansells, seems like an invasion of traffic bollards , winter - no leaves on the trees, lamp post has a sewer " stink pipe next to it, and probably south side of the city
EDIT: Dave Riley suggested "The Old House at Home, Lordswood Road, Harborne "
20230128201522_06.jpg

Last edited:
With so many experts on board i hate to post an old image - I am all enthusiastic, and suddenly everyone has seen it and many have the book it came from :laughing:, this may be one of them !! ( I don't mind actually)
Here we have the Billesley Arms with Holt Ales signage. Very much looking like a country pub, large lamp out the front and the road looks like a lane - one vehicle and only the one street lamp on the right in the distance.

20230128201522_07.jpg

Next we have a more modern pub, a distinctive building so someone will be able to place it, this is the Malt Shovel. M and B with Worthington E signs inside.
Looks like a cold damp day long coats and hats/ caps. Like the curved stone work and the metal framed windows and the rather faded zebra crossing - with belisha beacons - do they still have them these days?

20230128201522_08.jpg

First of the no details , Nice pub on the left with railings, school boy on the pavement , nice selection of lamps and a fine lorry leaving a cloud of exhaust behind it. Probably a photo of a picture / photo someone may recognise the location.

View attachment 184192
Hi Steve - is this the College Arms - corner of College Rd and Hawthorn Rd Perry Common?

Last one for tonight is from the 1940's and show the aftermath of a direct hit on a building next to a pub. The pub has lost its windows and has a hole in the roof, where the second chimney seems to have fallen. There are a few men digging in the road outside the pub and a Policeman is directing on lookers. The lamp in the foreground seems to be intact.
EDIT: From Astoness " Rose and Crown corner of Brearley Street and Hospital Street -the damage was repaired and then reopened.."

20230128201522_09.jpg

Last edited:
Back