• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

Hi Steve, Is picture 684 of the Dolphin pub on the Warwick Road (A41)? The photographer is looking towards Acocks Green village with Olton Hollow behind him. I don't think the pub exists now--is there an Aldi or Lidl there now?

First of the no details , Nice pub on the left with railings, school boy on the pavement , nice selection of lamps and a fine lorry leaving a cloud of exhaust behind it. Probably a photo of a picture / photo someone may recognise the location.

View attachment 184192
Could it be 'The Dolphin' Warwick Road, Acocks Green? There's a Aldi & Farm Foods there now.

Last one for tonight is from the 1940's and show the aftermath of a direct hit on a building next to a pub. The pub has lost its windows and has a hole in the roof, where the second chimney seems to have fallen. There are a few men digging in the road outside the pub and a Policeman is directing on lookers. The lamp in the foreground seems to be intact.

View attachment 184198
this one is easy for me steve...its the rose and crown corner of brearley st and hospital st..the damage was repaired and then reopened...if memory serves me right i think i read somewhere that the shop on the other corner was a chippy you can see from this photo that the bomb damage did affect the left hand sid of the pub

index.php (19).jpg

lyn

Last edited:
When I see pictures like the Hillman Minx I wonder if that's one that I fitted heaters and mirrors to, I did an awful lot when I worked at Watsons. :)

Thanks for the information and suggestions, a few more for you all to work on, first up we have Queens Head an Atkinsons Pub, interesting window layout right hand side has three windows on the top floor and two on the second but the left hand side has just one top floor window, fine tall chimney. Nice street lamp and a fine car possibly Wolseley 1500?
EDIT: From MikeJee " Queens Head, Burbury Street"

20230128201522_10.jpg

Last edited:
Another pub, this time the Rose and Crown and again I love the layout, small window on the first floor next to the sign, another small window squeezed in next to another window on the side ( by the street lamp) sash windows all around, and curved brickwork on the corner. The entrance seems to be a porch like structure which wraps round.
EDIT: two edits here, MikeJee offers "Wheeler Street" and Astoness provided "corner with Gower Street"
20230128201522_11.jpg

Last edited:
Next we have another demonstration of the devastation that bombs made in the second World War, as I have said previously I have no details but the building seems to have been reduced to matchsticks - Industrial premises on the left look remarkably intact, and three people climbing over the rubble - is the one at the back a policeman?
20230128201522_12.jpg

Following on from Mikes comment above - Queens Head, Burbury Street, I suddenly came across this picture on the same roll which seems to be a lot older, firstly apologies for the quality of the image - you should have seen it before I worked on it !!
On the right of the pub is a striped pole and letter box which is not in the previous image and the buildings seem to end after the pub, on the right you can see the street heading away with a church off in the distance.
EDIT: Astoness added " the church in the distance will be St Saviours, corner of Bridge Street West and Villa Street"

20230128202504_12.jpg

Last edited:
Next we have another demonstration of the devastation that bombs made in the second World War, as I have said previously I have no details but the building seems to have been reduced to matchsticks - Industrial premises on the left look remarkably intact, and three people climbing over the rubble - is the one at the back a policeman?
View attachment 184228
building on the right looks like a pub...

Following on from Mikes comment above - Queens Head, Burbury Street, I suddenly came across this picture on the same roll which seems to be a lot older, firstly apologies for the quality of the image - you should have seen it before I worked on it !!
On the right of the pub is a striped pole and letter box which is not in the previous image and the buildings seem to end after the pub, on the right you can see the street heading away with a church off in the distance.

View attachment 184229
steve the church in the distance will be st saviours..corner of bridge st west and villa st

lyn

Still on Roll 144, but trying not to swamp you with pubs we have a nice Morris Minor sat outside at a guess and corporation owned building - not sure why it just has the look. Like the symmetry of the windows and the door with the classic design porch , there is a small name plate to the right of the door. Shame that the building seem to be tacked on with no thought to the original property .

20230128202504_07.jpg

First tonight we have this image from Monument Road, the boarded up Pub with both M & B and Ansells signs and the open sash window on the top floor, , nice line of brickwork under the eaves, it still has the licensee board and the alleyway is gated and locked. Of more interest is the shop to the left, Yates general store is on the door, a lovely Brasso sign on the wall, a fine selection of signs on the door and jars in the shop window. Is that a Ford Popular parked outside?

20230128202504_02.jpg

On a similar vain, this pub in an unknown location has interesting buildings either side. I imagine this with dark green porcelain tiled frontage, like the leaded windows and the simple M&B wording on the front. Next door we have ....Worley Provisions, the carved uprights are similar but large than those of the pub and more ornate. Players Navy cut advert on the wall and a large display of tins in the window. On the right is a three storey property which seems to be one room wide and has a chimney equal in height to that of the pub but whose starts much lower down

EDIT: From MikeJee: in Kellys from1932 till 1950. Not in 1921 or 1955 editions
139, 141 Bloomsbury Street is Miss Alice Hart, wine & spirit merchant , with Albert Worley next door at 137 Bloomsbury Street

20230128202504_03.jpg

Last edited:
Bit unsure where to post this image, it is one of Lyns, there is a page for it and there a similar image on the page and it seems that the image may be well known, feel free to move it.
This is Dares Brewery Belgrave Road on the site of the Mosque, which is quite ironic if you think of it , the picture online has a licencee board over the entrance door, this one has been coloured over on the original picture, we can just make out a lorry down the left hand sign and interesting to see bars on the windows upstairs, but only some . It is interesting how the basement window vary in height due to the slope of the ground

20230128202504_08.jpg

This is an interesting build some sort of religious property perhaps, the block on the right has a cross on it, high windows with opening within them, possibly a mezzanine second floor overlooking the main congregation on the ground floor ? Somewhat imbalanced with the building added either side, neither matches in height or style. As usual no location

EDIT: From Astoness : its the wheeler st congregation church near to the junction with lozells road now demolished.

20230128202504_09.jpg

Last edited:
Finally as we can see on the bus stop this is the Inner Circle route, and a fine bus stop it is and I assume in that dark blue that everything was painted relating to busses. Ornate street lamp. Prestons of B'ham, are those the woodwork plane people? The building to the left is interesting as it heads away from the road, and on the right is a shop with the blind down. Apologies for the dark image

20230128202504_11.jpg

From MikeJee
This seems to be identical to an image on the images of Birmingham , library website at https://www.search.birminghamimages.org.uk/Details.aspx?&ResourceID=7461&SearchType=2&ThemeID=719 , which says it is Lee Bank Road, Kellys lists them in the 1950 edition, but not the 1949 or 1955 editions. The Prestons building is shown in red on the map

map 1950s showing position of Prestons in lee bank road.jpg

Last edited:
On a similar vain, this pub in an unknown location has interesting buildings either side. I imagine this with dark green porcelain tiled frontage, like the leaded windows and the simple M&B wording on the front. Next door we have ....Worley Provisions, the carved uprights are similar but large than those of the pub and more ornate. Players Navy cut advert on the wall and a large display of tins in the window. On the right is a three storey property which seems to be one room wide and has a chimney equal in height to that of the pub but whose starts much lower down

View attachment 184281
139, 141 Bloomsbury st is Miss Alice Hart, wine & spirit merchant , with Albert Worley next door at 137 in Kellys from1932 till 1950. Not in 1921 or 1955 editions

This is an interesting build some sort of religious property perhaps, the block on the right has a cross on it, high windows with opening within them, possibly a mezzanine second floor overlooking the main congregation on the ground floor ? Somewhat imbalanced with the building added either side, neither matches in height or style. As usual no location

View attachment 184285
mark i think this one is the mission hall wheeler st near to the junction with lozells road now demolished..i think there is another photo of it somewhere on the forum..will check it out tomorrow

lyn

Finally as we can see on the bus stop this is the Inner Circle route, and a fine bus stop it is and I assume in that dark blue that everything was painted relating to busses. Ornate street lamp. Prestons of B'ham, are those the woodwork plane people? The building to the left is interesting as it heads away from the road, and on the right is a shop with the blind down. Apologies for the dark image

View attachment 184286
This seems to be identical to an image on the images of Birmingham , library website at https://www.search.birminghamimages.org.uk/Details.aspx?&ResourceID=7461&SearchType=2&ThemeID=719 , which says it is Lee Bank Road, Kellys lists them in the 1950 edition, but not the 1949 or 1955 editions. The Prestons building is shown in red on the map

map 1950s showing position of Prestons in lee bank road.jpg

Great pictures of the Art Gallery and Museum but I'm afraid I've always disliked those paintings  not my taste in art at all!

Back