• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

The next picture is the building on the right in the previous picture - Thimble mill lane , but a bit more information would be useful. We have a boarded up pub at the end of the road, three blocks of flats in the left rear and the gas holders on the right, and a chimney too
.EDIT Thanks to Mark #605 the pub is the Duke of Wellington, and post #607 for the link to Pages for the pub.
20230122203855_06.jpg

Last edited:
We now move to a location we have visited previously and which confused me as I couldn't get it to fit in street view then I realised the clock has moved down the road and an island has been built !!
This Aston Cross Clock Tower Lichfield Road Aston and I quote the Listing description " Aston Cross clock tower at the junction with Park Road Inscribed "Manufactured and Erected by George Smith and Company. Sun Foundry Glasgow Arthur Edwards, Architect December 1891' Iron. Square in plan. High plinth, the panelled shaft with Corinthianesque colonnettes with ring shafts at the corners and then the 4 clock faces surmounted by pediments with elaborate open cresting. Finial.".
20230122203855_09.jpg

If we turn to the right in the previous picture we would have seen the HP sauce factory, closed in 2007 and removed from the scene these two picture show what a large site this was and how it seemed to expand piecemeal as there seem to be lots of different phases.

20230122203855_11.jpg

20230122203855_10.jpg

The next picture is the building on the right in the previous picture - Thimble mill lane , but a bit more information would be useful. We have a boarded up pub at the end of the road, three blocks of flats in the left rear and the gas holders on the right, and a chimney too
View attachment 183018
racking my brains to think of the name of the pub in the photo steve..

lyn

Photos here...

the last few images I will put on the one post - they are all the same area but what is that area - gas holders and flats -and the last image has a factory on the opposite side of the road -thanks.
Edit:
Aston Brook Street, views towards Nechells and Newtown Row/High Street, in one of the photos you can see Millers and The Norton Motorbike rear factory entrance
the first building on tonight's post 610 looks like Wincaster
Founded by Harry Mosedale & Ken Everett, Sertec Birmingham Ltd was a tool and jig making business for the white goods industry. Their first home was Unit 8 Wincaster Factory Estate on Aston Brook Street.
:)
20230122203855_12.jpg20230122204219_01.jpg20230122204219_02.jpg20230122204219_03.jpg

Last edited:
We have not had any old pictures for a while mainly because everyone had seen them or had a copy ;), but I thought I would post some as I am sure there are gems among them.
Roll A61 is a mixed bag and if I take all the multiple shots not many to go through. First we have Outside the Austin works 1917, I will only highlight what I can see and bring to your attention, a smartly dressed selection of men and boys, a double deck bus and a line of single deck, busses, a few bicycles and is that a motorbike and sidecar leaving the works. On the left there seems to be something covered by a tarpaulin, all with hats - I can oly find one women who is next the the motorbike.

20230110211056_01.jpg

Next we have the description as -No.9 tram coming up the High Street Dale End , July 1921. Old picture with barrows and horse and carts, a close look shows its a single deck tram travelling away from us with a horse and cart in front of it. Are those flowers on the cart on the right with someone travelling on the cart and the driver with his cigarette on.
20230110211056_02.jpg

I have drunk in this pub a few times in the 80s, very much an Irish pub back then.
The address then was 28 Havelock Rd, Saltley. I knew it as The Havelock, but it may have officially been The Havelock Tavern.
I have attached a street view from 2009, it was demolished a couple of years later, and also attached is the current street view, you will note the houses have been renumbered

Attachments

• 28_Havelock Rd Google Maps.jpg
    28_Havelock Rd Google Maps.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 21
  • 30_Havelock_Rd_-_Google_Maps.jpg
    30_Havelock_Rd_-_Google_Maps.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Posting 610, Is of Aston Brook Street, views towards Nechells and Newtown Row/High Street, in one of the photos you can see Millers and The Norton Motorbike rear factory entrance

Posting 610, Is of Aston Brook Street, views towards Nechells and Newtown Row/High Street, in one of the photos you can see Millers and The Norton Motorbike rear factory entrance
Ah yes, I can see where the Wincaster name comes from now....

Founded by Harry Mosedale & Ken Everett, Sertec Birmingham Ltd was a tool and jig making business for the white goods industry. Their first home was Unit 8 Wincaster Factory Estate on Aston Brook Street.

Next we have the description as -No.9 tram coming up the High Street Dale End , July 1921. Old picture with barrows and horse and carts, a close look shows its a single deck tram travelling away from us with a horse and cart in front of it. Are those flowers on the cart on the right with someone travelling on the cart and the driver with his cigarette on.
View attachment 183079
This is a pretty rare photograph as far as the tram is concerned. Something like eight of this class of cars were converted to single deck in the period 1917 - 1923.
Car 361 is on the 9 route - Martineau Street to Ward End which was a short working of the 10 route to Washwood Heath.

This is a pretty rare photograph as far as the tram is concerned. Something like eight of this class of cars were converted to single deck in the period 1917 - 1923.
Car 361 is on the 9 route - Martineau Street to Ward End which was a short working of the 10 route to Washwood Heath.
Accordingly, five cars of the 301 class were converted to the single deck condition during 1917, the top covers being removed from car 375 in March and from cars 361, 367-8 and 379 in June. In May 1923 361 was fitted with new top covers without window vents.
Info from: Birmingham Corporation Tramway Rolling Stock - P.W. Lawson

Another pub this one is The Sun, corner of Bristol Road and Sun Street fine brick frontage with ornate eaves, seems to extend into the building on the right which is rather tall compared with the buildngs around it. See the lamp and the two cast bollards too.
20230110211056_05.jpg

I apologies for the quality of the next image which is the Rose and Crown Brealey Street, love the lamp out the front , the little round window on the side and the angle of the roof at the rear - over a flight of stairs possibly. The land at the rear has some pailings

20230110211056_06.jpg

This a very grand facade its the St. Martins on Jamaica Row, love the large Mitchells and Butlers sign and the Good honest beers below it, lots of ornate brick work, fancy eaves, and little balconies. See the ladder propped up out the front

20230110211056_07.jpg

Dionysius I agree. The view below of the towers is from Cambridge Street. One tower has the telecomms equipment on top. I think the B&W photo was taken behind the ICC (thereby obscuring the PO Tower), somewhere near the Malt House. But it's difficult to get at the exact position for a proper view due to building development. Viv

View attachment 179404
Remember it only too well Viv Cambridge St didn't look like that though Viv when I knocked around there , Looking at where the photograph was taken I wouldn't mind betting he was outside the Duke of Cambridge public house

Next is the Bridge Inn Monument Road, and you can just make out the cast iron urinal with lamp over it very useful on dark evening I imagine. Taken 2nd March 1961 to the left of the people is that a " Bus clock" I would try and name it but there are too many experts !!

View attachment 178922
Steve, the clock is called a Bundy clock. Just on the right corner you can see the Crown Stores on the corner of Ledsam Street.

This a very grand facade its the St. Martins on Jamaica Row, love the large Mitchells and Butlers sign and the Good honest beers below it, lots of ornate brick work, fancy eaves, and little balconies. See the ladder propped up out the front

View attachment 183100
Once the Corporation Market Buildings, we have a thread here.https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/corporation-market-building-st-martins-tavern.47973/#post-703307

Once the Corporation Market Buildings, we have a thread here.https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/corporation-market-building-st-martins-tavern.47973/#post-703307
If someone wants to relocate the picture if it helps, feel free, you all know the forum better than me same goes to any other image.

Back