• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

Small fire at post office in New St

fire_at_post_office_new_st.jpg

A time when law and order were publicly applauded, when the respect by society for there law enforcement agency's were honoured, by most of society, I do not understand the use of the word "PABULUM", in this context?? I thought it referred to food!!!, (maybe food for thought). Paul

"Instruction in the noble art" presumably means boxing. There seems to be some interest in the subject in Birmingham among some members.
Defacing posters scarcely seems the crime of the century, but was obviously taken very seriously at that time.
I presume this product was the forerunner of corned beef.

instructions_in_the_noble_art.jpg

scarcely_the_crime_of_the_century.jpg

beef_at_threepence_a_pound.jpg

Excellent description of the Exchange Mike. Do you mind if I copy it for the Birmingham Exchange thread? Lots of detail in that report. Viv.

A week ago (27th Dec) it was Pablo's circus advertised as on this site. Today it is the royal Alhambra circus including Pablo .Possibly a takeover.
Opening of Adderley Park library
Quarrelsome neighbours. I do like the colourful language used by the reporter.
Parrot called as witness.

royal_alhambra_circus.jpg

opening_of_Adderley_park_library~0.jpg

quarrelsome_neighbours.jpg

parrot_called_as_witness.jpg

Historical information on the original Baskerville house.
General Tom Thumb, his wife and daughter on exhibition in the Exchange building. At the time the birth of the daughter was thought amazing, and later it was claimed by soem that they "borrowed " babies for their show. However there is apparently a gravestone for the infant, so maybe she did exist.

Baskerville_house.jpg

General_tom_thumb_and_family_to_appear_at_Exchange.jpg

Throughput in pen nib industry.
Malvern not keen on train "excursionists" from the Black Country and Birmingham contaminating their slopes.

pen_making.jpg

malvern_excursionists.jpg

#1, sounds horrendous, and I bet she wouldn't make 4/- a day. #2,Not the first time I have read descriptions of this sort about Brummies.Paul

Probably the real complaint about the excursionists to Malvern was that they were day trippers, did not stay in hotels and boarding houses in the town and probably did not spend much in the local shops. By chance I have been to Malvern three times last year, once by train and twice by car.

So you're telling me that those halcyon days of workers heading out to Malvern on their day off from the grime and deafening noise of the foundries, being met with hearty greetings by the locals and happily sharing a jug of beer together at a local hostelry are all lies!!!! Gutted. Viv.

Seeing as Birmingham was soon to be given its own assizes, a new court is being prepared to accomodate it. this of course would later be replaced by the buildings in Corporation st.
Seeing as the petroleum oil so described would be the same stuff (though less pure)as that used in more recent times to cure constipation, the results of this might be spectacular.

new_court_for_new_Birmingham_assizes.jpg

interesting_side_effects.jpg

Description of the "event" of a levee with General Tom Thumb and family. Seems to have appealed to the victorians, but to my modern male palate it sounds extremely sick and nauseating even if the baby wasn't a rented prop.
Progress of building in Birmingham.

first_appearence_of_General_tom_thumb_and_family.jpg

progress_of_building_in_birmingham.jpg

Council has to pay for damage to supporting wall. Cooper & Barber were a provisions merchant at 5 Spiceal St.
Be interesting to know what this entailed, probably adding oil of juniper to water and hoping no-one would notice

damage_to_shop_wall.jpg

making_gin_with_no_equipment~0.jpg

Improvements to the corner of Worcester st/New St are to begin soon. these have been argued about for some time. The building that was demolished is pictured below.

improvements_worcester_st_new_st_corner.jpg

corner_worcester_st.jpg

Seems to be an awful lot of "Militia", in this drawing, uniform and woman's dress's suggest a date of around 1850, were there any riots in Birmingham at this time???Paul

Paul
Can't think of any offhand. The names in the picture give some help fro the date. William Jones was there from before 1841 at least, but Thomas Harper hairdresser was listed in Bell St in 1852 Slaters directory, but is in the PO directory in 1855. They would both have gone in the improvements , which seem to have meant cutting back the buildings on that corner to make a smooth curve.

That picture of New St/Worcester St is confusing me. Any chance you could place it on a map Mike please? Does Worcester St still exist? Viv.

Viv, Before the recent rebuilding of the bullring a tiny part was a service road to the back of the Odeon. It is apparently still there according to google earth below, though I did not notice it when I last went from new st station to the bullring. I can see why the picture is confusing. Below is a map c1890, where I have put the approx position of the building in the picture in c 1860s in red, and approximate posiotion of artist as blue arrow.

map_c_1890_showing_position_of_building_on_corner_of_worcester_st_in_c1865.jpg

worcester_st_on_google_earth.jpg

Thanks all. Think I've got it. So if I've now got this straight in my head, the row of buildings in the old drawing curving along the end of New St (to the left) is where the Rotunda etc is now? Viv.

Back