• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

Assuming it was not that the that the gentleman was not prepared to open the door himself, it looks like train passengers had to wait to be "released " from their carriages on arrival. That would not exactly help shorten a train's journey

getting_out_of_train_carriage.jpg

In the early days of rail travel the doors were often locked. Something which still happens on the Ffestiniog Railway in North Wales because of the tight clearances at the sides of the track. For Safety we now have to wait for the doors to be unlocked because of a spate of doors opening while the train was moving a few years ago. The difference is that the guard works the locks centrally.

Thanks David. I did not realise that. I have been on the Festineog, but it would have been about 30 years ago.

It would seem that whenever a fire alarm sounded four or five engines would be dispatched, one from each of the fire companies. I had always thought that only the company that insured the premises came out. Certainly that was once the case, as it was the reason for the fire insurance plaques on the wall of buildings, so the engine could see whether the building was insured with them.
It was considered that birmingham Workhouse required a better sort of master to that in most places.
Certainly don't think I'd be too keen to live next door to someone with 150 lb of gunpowder in his bedroom, especially under the conditions described with lighted candles around.
An early form of speedometer for trains in which you could read off speed from pencil marks on paper. Scarcely a rapid method of determination.

every_time_bell_rings_4_or_5_brigades_come_out.jpg

attracting_workhouse_master.jpg

not_a_good_person_to_live_near.jpg

an_early_speedometer_for_trains.jpg

Seems like a German band (presumably with lots of Oom-pahs) was causing somewhat of a disturbance.
The person concerned in this bankruptcy is described as being a chartermaster and doggy. I thought a chartermaster was someone who arranged for others to do work. Would he normally have done his own dogging (I AM talking about canal-type dogging)?

German_band.jpg

chartermaster_and_doggy.jpg

New Rectory House planned for All Saints parish.
New post office in Cannon St to deal with money orders and savings bank.
I suppose this is a variation of writing a letter to Santa and putting it up the chimney.

Rectory_house_for_All_Saints.jpg

expansion_of_post_office.jpg

Heard_of_sending_letter_to_santa_up_chimney_.jpg

A vivid imagination and a capacity to lie were then, as now, prevalent in showman and politicians
Is this the first signs of health and safety at work ?

six_legged_cow.jpg

beginnings_of_health_and_safety.jpg

Lyn
Would you have thought that anyone would even want a duckhouse, never mind have the nerve to try and claim for it?. But actually extra legs are not unknown ( https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2178248/Lilli-cow-legs-surgery-remove-extra-limbs.html & https://psycheskinner.hubpages.com/hub/Duplicate-Limbs ). Not quite clear what the Mount St Bernard Bitch plus puppies is about. It might be a double dew claw, which apparently is not uncommon in St Bernards , probably because the monks who developed the breed thought dew claws advantageous. Would not have thought that this would have been enough to make the dog a spectacle .

That's put me off me breakfast! Thought the cow might have been the result of one too many at the Bingley Hall Tavern. Was this pub later the Cricketers pub? Or is it a completely different place? Viv.

That's put me off me breakfast! Thought the cow might have been the result of one too many at the Bingley Hall Tavern. Was this pub later the Cricketers pub? Or is it a completely different place? Viv.

luckily viv i had had my breakfast before i read the post lol

Thanks Mike.

Lyn, shall follow your example in future. The cow post caught me off guard this morning. Found a pic of the Bingley Hall Hotel. Looks like it was part of a Georgian terrace. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1416934315.987065.jpg

smashing photo viv..never heard of the bingley hall hotel and yes i would say a georgian building..if its still there now i will happily eat my hat...

lyn

No I'd never heard of it before. Must have done a roaring trade at one time on Bingley Hall's doorstep. I expect it went when the Convention Centre was built in the 1980's, if not before. I don't remember it when I worked round there, we used to go in the Cricketers, which I assume was also demolished. Viv.

Vivienne

The Bingley Hall hotel was there from at least 1851 and closed in 1965. I knew of the Bingley Hall Hotel but I had never heard of a "Cricketers" around that area as the only one I can remember was in Little Green Lane Small Heath. Where was this cricketers that you mention, was "The Cricketers" just a local nickname?

Hi Phil. Might possibly have been a local name, think because it had famous cricketers drink in there at one time. But we always called it the Cricketers. Don't know the name of the road, but it was going towards Cambridge St, behind the Colonnade (before it was moved). Remember it was on a corner. We used to go in there at lunchtimes, would be heaving with people. Think there was a petition to preserve it from demolition prior to the Convention Centre being built, so it would have been there until at least 1980ish. Viv.

Just had a nose around Phil, and it might have been the Prince of Wales. Wondering if this ever had a cricket connection. This is still there by all accounts - nice change to be able to say that. I've seen photos of the PoW on another thread but not made the connection because of the name. Trouble is, the PoW doesn't look like its on a corner. Was it once (well in the early1980s) on a corner? If this is the place it certainly looks more upmarket than when we used to go there. Was a very basic pub at that time. Viv.

Vivienne

Yes apparently there was some connection with Bob Willis who was a cricket player I believe, so this may account for the name "The Cricketer".

Attachments

• Ladywood Prince of Wales Cambridge St.jpg
    Ladywood Prince of Wales Cambridge St.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 26
Well thanks Phil, that's settled it in my mind. The people I worked with always referred to it as the Cricketers, don't know if the name was used by others outside, but I expect so. Viv.

Much discussion while I was away. The next post refers to 28th. by chance three days after the post of the strange cow was published, the tavern concerned was up for sale.
Divorce had only recently been legalised (without an act of parliament) and would have been very expensive. The artist (who sounds pretty awful) must have been pretty well off from his performances.

sald_of_bingley_hall_tavern.jpg

divorce_of_local_singer_.jpg

Dandelion chocolate(it would have been drinking chocolate as eating chocolate was not yet around). Sounds pretty repulsive.

dandelion_chocolate.jpg

good to have you and your snippets back mike...its amazing just how much insight into how life was back then that they give us..

lyn

I would think that saying Miss Jacobs was a "great attraction for the cattle show " implies she was a cow, or maybe a pig.
The law is not an ass for once, though presumably the original magistrates had been.

great_attraction_for_the_cattle_show.jpg

having_a_toss.jpg

I am intrigued to know what an indenture of five skins means. Indentures then refers to legal agreements, mortgages etc, but no idea what the five skins refers to. I suppose at one time these documents might have been written on vellum, which comes from animal skins, but do not think it likely thta that happened then.

indenture_of_five_skins.jpg

In the "Doomsday Book", the term "Hides" referred to an ancient area of Land, maybe that's what the reference to "Skins" is.Paul

Clock installed in the Exchange building, manufactured to John Inshaw's design. John inshaw has been mentioned in the forum before and this clock has also been mentioned (https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=32557), but this cutting gives more detail.
It would seem that insurance against robbery was not then available. Possibly htis is one of the first suggestions to enable it.
An unusual method army recruitment in america
An unusual procedure in Norway.

clock_on_exchange_building.jpg

robbery_insurance.jpg

recruiting_method.jpg

unusual_norwegian_procedure.jpg

Proposals to resite cattle market are perhaps not very popular with the inhabitants of the area where it is to be relocated

Relocation_of_cattle_market.jpg

Back