• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

The first part of the contribution is omitted, as it refers to arguments with another contributor, but this describes leather and paper tokens circulated in birmingham. (In 2 parts , to facilitate readability)

A contribution from another concerning birmingham tokens (again in 2 parts)

leather_and_paper_tokens_1.jpg

leather_and_paper_tokens__2.jpg

birmingham_tokens_1.jpg

birmingham_tokens_2.jpg

An excellent and interesting story, I have some cardboard tokens from the "Cambridge Union Workhouse", for sixpence and 3d, dated 1837, I wonder if they are the same as the ones mentioned, I know that the Birmingham mint was set up to mint copper coins, because there was a national shortage of copper coinage. I believe that the large copper 2d pieces (Cartwheels), were only minted in "Matthew Bolton's Mint", but became unpopular with both trade and people, because of their weight and size, and had to be withdrawn from circulation. Paul

Seems like assessments are not just something in today's schools.
Seems rate assessments in 1864 were far more complicated than I remember them immediately before Council tax was introduced
Replace "Roman Catholic" by "immigrants" and you have a standard Daily Mail editorial today.

school_inspection.jpg

rates_assessment.jpg

reminiscent_of_the_daily_mail.jpg

On the issue of fashion, I recall seeing a drawing in my history text book at school which I think was probably taken from Punch showing three men of different social classes and as one went down the social ladder each wore the dress of the previous generation.

The black country according to the Daily Telegraph - apparently a wild land far away !

s_opinion_of_the_Black_country_1.jpg

s_opinion_of_the_Black_country_2.jpg

So even in these benighted days outrage at the "lenient judiciary", and that even in these God fearing days, or because of them, women were held in such low regard. In recent times I have often pondered at sentences passed, and comments made, by a judiciary who seem to think the law is there to protect the criminal, and not the victims. Paul

24 hours on followed by 24 hours off sounds not to good for good concentration as far as I am concerned
Intolerant parson.
Complaints about pigeons in the churchyard

24_hours_off__24_hours_on~0.jpg

intolerant_parson~0.jpg

pidgeons_in_the_churchyard_.jpg

Re. boiler problem in first cutting. Strangely the Factory Act isn't mentioned. And acting on the Mayor's instructions - a partner in the Company. Say no more ......... Viv.

Re. boiler problem in first cutting. Strangely the Factory Act isn't mentioned. And acting on the Mayor's instructions - a partner in the Company. Say no more ......... Viv.

Prior to 1864 the Factories Acts only covered textile industries and mainly related to women and children. The Factories Extension Act 1864 brought a few other industries like pottery, match making and percussion cap manufacturing into the provisions of the acts and a further act of 1867 brought in all factories employing more than 50 people.

Thanks David. The company wouldn't get away with those hours for much longer then. Expanding the Factories Act's scope most probably was an issue at the time of the press cutting as it can take years to go through the legislative process. Viv.

I should know but didn't Paul but did find this:

German silver - a silver-white alloy containing copper and zinc and nickelnickel silver
alloy, metal - a mixture containing two or more metallic elements or metallic and nonmetallic elements usually fused together or dissolving into each other when molten; "brass is an alloy of zinc and copper"

As I said Paul I should have known it without searching as my Daughter is a Jeweller (trained at the School of Jewellery and Horology in the Quarter). I seem to recall she worked in Nickel Silver before she was let loose on the real stuff.

Bank holidays were not introduced till 1871, but before that they seem to have closed early on what would become boxing day.
Youth prosecuted for snowballing a policeman.
Apparently there must have been a lot of snow that year for snowball fights of this sort to occur. Mind you , if funding to police goes down much more then this citizen's problem might soon be replicated today.

half_a_bank_holiday.jpg

snowballing_a_policeman.jpg

snowballing_gangs.jpg

Findlater must have produced some quality coaches as William Findlater exhibited a light brougham for one or two horses at the 1862 London International Exhibition. Think the company was taken over by Mulliners. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1419190860.520344.jpg

Criticism of dull Anglican church architecture, but praise for that of dissenter's churches.Perhaps a trifle biased author ?

ecclesiastical_architecture_in_birmingham_a.jpg

ecclesiastical_architecture_in_birmingham_b.jpg

Like all art, architecture is a matter of subjective appreciation. Cardinal Newman described Augustus Pugin as bigoted because Pugin thought that the only acceptable form of Christian architecture was the Gothic, Classical forms being pagan.

Opening of Birmingham Exchange announced
Extract from newspaper report of The Report of the Royal commision into conditions of employment of children , this section particularly concerned with Birmingham
Aid requested for freed slaves in America by prominent Birmingham residents.

opening_ceremony_of_the_Birmingham_exchange.jpg

working_conditions_in_birmingham_extract.jpg

aid_requested_to_the_freed_slaves_in_the_US.jpg

Pablos Circus is performing in Carrs Lane. It is not clear exactly where in Carrs Lane, though other circuses had been reported to have been in the Lane previously. The full name was the Pablo Fanque circus, and a fair bit of information is available in a book "Black victorians- Black 'victoriana", which is partially available online at https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...ir_esc=y#v=onepage&q="pablo's circus"&f=false. Apparently Pablo (born william Darby) was Britain's first black circus proprietor and was "made famous in the Beatles song "For the Benefit of Mr Kite"".

Christmas day in Birmingham workhouse.

pablos_circus.jpg

christmas_at_the_workhouse.jpg

"T'was Christmas Day at the Workhouse, the snow was falling fast.........." That sounds like a bountiful feast Mike,
I wonder if it was really like that, or did Dickens get it right?

"T'was Christmas Day at the Workhouse, the snow was falling fast.........." That sounds like a bountiful feast Mike,
I wonder if it was really like that, or did Dickens get it right?

hi charlie i would like to think it was right and that the inmates had plenty eat that day...

lyn

Back