• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

More information on Birmingham Fairs.
The New Music Hall did not last long. The organ lasted far longer in its new home. the 1952 Survey of London, quoted in British History online, states that then it was still going strong in St Pancras.
If we saw a notice like this today we know for certain we would be dreaming.

Birmingham_fairs~0.jpg

organ_from_new_musical_hall.jpg

reduction_in_fares.jpg

Just to follow up on the organ that was in the New Music Hall, it is still there and in use in St Pancras (New) Church although I have never heard it played on the occasions when I have been in that church for lunchtime concerts. https://www.stpancraschurch.org/index.php?id=27

Incidentally it is said the the new church of St Pancras, Euston, when built c1820 was the most expensive parish church to be built in London. It was built to replace St Pancras old church which was later restored and brought back into use so there are now two very active St Pancras church not far apart.

Proposal in council to build new Law Courts .
Argument over payment for repairs to Aston furnace Mill
Further examples of harsh punishments by courts.

proposal_of_new_law_courts.jpg

Argument_over_payment_for_repairs_to_Aston_furnace_mill.jpg

harsh_punishments.jpg

Blimey, you didn't mess with the law (or the gentry!) then did you?
We had peacocks that visited our garden when we lived in Bampton (Devon). The noise they make early in the morning is awful and, though I wouldn't throw stones at them, I was sorely tempted to tie up their beaks!!!

I take it that the report in,#1773/1, laid the foundations for the building of the Law Courts and Lock Up, in Steelhouse Lane I wonder when these were actually built. Paul

That's what I assumed Paul, though in fact i gather that the courts were not finally built till 1887, after a competition in 1886

This sounds to me like a couple who were either separated or on the brink of it. It's made me very curious!

I cannot find a Josiah Clements married to a Harriet Clements in the 1861 census. there is a widower Josiah Clements, 26, brasscaster,living with his mother Mary,76,cow keeper, at 65 New Summer St . A Josiah Clements married in july-Sept 1857 and in April-june 1864, both in Birmingham , the only ones in Warwickshire that could fit. Sounds even more interesting

A court appeal case regarding cattle transported to Birmingham by the GWR. Have heard of cattle going to Bordesley, but apparently this was for cattle coming from the south. Cattle from the north (on the GWR) went to a station "north of the city", presumably Hockley, though it must have been much more difficult transporting them through the streets from Hockley than from Bordesley.

carriage_of_cattle_by_rail_to_birmingham.jpg

In most issues of the papers of the time there were adverts asking for people's old clothes, while secondhand clothes dealers, more often listed as "wardrobe dealers" were abundant. this articles describes the use to which the clothes were put. In three parts so you can easily read it.

old_clothes1.jpg

Old_clothes2.jpg

old_clothes3.jpg

Very interesting reading, especially the old English names for some products. Even as a boy a visit to the rag market was a special day out, and as a boy looking in wonder at the mountains of rags, though society had changed from the Victorian times, not that much by the mid 50's, people were still judged to a greater extent on what they wore, and what class they came from. Paul

Charges against Master of workhouse. This is just the introduction of the report.A few days later it was decided that hte nature of the charges demanded investigation by a legal authority with statements under oath, which this committee was not authorized to handle, and so the case was handed up.

charges_against_master_of_workhouse_.jpg

Invitation to quote for horse provender for GWR. Hay and cereals were mixed and sent out as fodder for the many horses employed by GWR. The depot was stated to be in Handsworth, but presumably was at the Hockley complex. It was replaced in 1884 by a more conveniently placed store in Didcot, and then 3,000 horses had to be provided for.

GWR_inviation_for_provender_quote.jpg

It is claimed that brickmakers in Birmingham in dispute have committed violent acts including killing of owner's racehorse.

Horse_killed_supposedly_by_brickmakers.jpg

Wonder how they knew his real name. This was before fingerprints and he was not a local.
Maybe Barbara Cartland got the idea for her hair from this.

wonder_how_they_knew_his_real_name.jpg

dyed_dogs.jpg

Now to day 15years in Dartmoor, is not for the fainthearted, but then with 12hrs a day in the stone quarries, no wonder he got drunk , in my opinion.Paul

New fire brigade shows off and is a bit disappointed that only fire they can find is small and put out before they arrive.
Sounds a bit like the middle ages. I thought cunning women (well the sort meant here anyway) had disappeared well before 1800.

new_fire_brigade_shows_off.jpg

prosecution_of_witch.jpg

Sounds like the local butchers are trying to act to get better terms from the tanners and fat renderers etc, and the latter are trying to fight back. the top advert appeared two days before and has obviously had a response, its entry today being accompanied by supporters and others

some_disagreements_asmong_butchers~0.jpg

So they thought there was a gas leak, looked for it with a candle, left the candle there, and this later ignited the gas to give an explosion !

gas_explosion_from_candle.jpg

Gas men always in my experience used candles or matches to find a leak. Fortunately modern technology enables them to us an instrument that sniffs the gas.

Gas men always in my experience used candles or matches to find a leak. Fortunately modern technology enables them to us an instrument that sniffs the gas.

What I find really interesting is the fact that they have reported in minute detail how it caught fire. I am guessing that most people would not know how it could happen exactly and so this newspaper has taken the trouble to explain. Fascinating really, the change in journalism styles.

Back