• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

You don't hear the phrase 'treated him very cavalierly' to often these days, which is a shame. :-)

I known the Victorians purchased books of sermons (!!), but I cannot see the sale of the book being much of a support,

sermon.jpg

This certainly would have been a curiosity at the time. Must be quite difficult to write a completely monosyllabic piece, even today. But lets give it a go:

" I would like to read the work as I am sure there will be a word or two that breaks the rule. It is hard to write like this and it sounds quite flat. Each phrase seems to jolt and does not flow. If the text was to be read in church it would put each man and child to sleep" !! Viv.

Cheers Viv. I would not have got to that length in just short words, but then I have been told off in the past for my long words. But this is a good try that I have done.

Still in monosyllables ........ Well done, yes it is a true test of skill. I would have used your name in this note but it does not keep to the rule! I shall now stop this type of script and add some more life back to my posts....... Ha....ha

Viv (this is contagious!)

Mike. That observation is absolutely in keeping with the common paradigm of those politically motivated persons of uninspiring talent who hold office, whether elected or appointed, and who have it in their powers to positively determine and influence national advancement, in terms of financial, social or international concerns if only they could think outside the box ..... Ahem, loud snores from the back row ... Viv.

Looks like the army were having to make cuts then as well, though I bet the polo ponies of the officers did not want for anything

army_shortages.jpg

Reminds me of why our soldiers wore red coats. When The New Model Army was formed during the English Civil War, our Oliver decided that the army would all wear the same coloured coat, so that they could be more easily recognized. The procurement services cast around for a colour, and found that the cheapest dye available was red, hence the red coats. Hundreds of years have passed, but nothing changes, they always seem to go for the cheapest option.

Was Bingley Hall just used as a meeting place on this one occasion for the Volunteer Rifle Corps or was it a regular drill hall for the Corps? Viv.

The "British Military Red Coat", was enacted by Sir Thomas Fairfax", under a warrant from Parliament, he was ordered to obtain a uniform for "The new model army", when questioned later in Parliament by the "Duke of Manchester", as to the nature of such a garment colour, being Royalist in hue, and "gaudy" to the eye he replied. To be easy to recognise one's company and, to assemble in the smoke and mire of battle and, so as comrades will not take fright in the gore of ones friends. paul

Viv
I cannot directly go to an actual reference, but I'm sure I have seen Bingley Hall mentioned in respect to the corps on earlier occasions. They also used Calthorpe park sometimes

You're right Mike I've had a search around and The Volunteers are mentioned in Langford's "Modern Birmingham and its institutions, 1841 - 1871" A couple of extracts :

The first gives the HQ of the 1st Warwickshire Rifle Volunteers as Bingley Hall. Assume this refers to the Birmingham Volunteers as it mentions a Birmingham Consolidated Battalion. The second extract (1869 a few years after the newspaper cutting) talks about the cost of uniforms for new volunteers dropping from 30s to 10s. They could still buy the old uniform for 5s. That would have been a hefty outlay at the time. Not included in the extracts but mentioned in other parts of Langford's book, and as you correctly say Mike, they also exercised/paraded regularly in Calthorpe Park. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371799893.497431.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1371799906.104416.jpg

I found this bit about the Corps, the chap who signed the notice got a mention.

The first adjutant (appointed in 1860) was Captain McInnis, who retired in 1870, having received bodily injuries through being thrown from his horse; he was succeeded by the present Adjutant-Colonel Tarte. The first uniform of the corps was a grey tunic with green facings, and a peaked cap with cock's feathers; in 1863 this was changed for a green uniform with red facings, similar to that worn by the 60th Rifles, with the exception of a broad red stripe on the trousers. The trouser stripe was done away with in 1875, when also the cap and feathers gave place to the busby and glengarry, the latter in 1884 being exchanged for the regulation army helmet, and soon perhaps our boys will all be seen in scarlet like their brothers of the Staffordshire battalions.

Sold or eaten !
The Osborne - full in the skirt, and with a pretty expanding hood. Just right for our chancellor of the exchequer

cheeses.jpg

osborne.jpg

Further evidence that the volunteers were not very well treated . They also had to pay for their own food at Oxford ans for the train fare, though this does seem to be about half the fare for normal travelers in a closed carriage (but then the notice above does not say it was a closed carriage - it could have been an open one !)

volunteer_corps_uniforms.jpg

volunteers_at_oxford.jpg

It makes you wonder how they managed to recruit volunteers. Not many incentives on offer and it looks like each one would be out of pocket. But maybe volunteering for your country was enough. Viv.

I would have thought by 1863 all carriages would have been closed. The Regulation of Railways Act 1844 required carriages "protected from the weather". By 1875 Third Class was effectively abolished by relabelling Second Class as Third Class.

The Tipton slasher ex-"Champion of all England" mugged. Mind you he would have been in his 40s by then, but must have been a bit of an embarrassment. they might have picked on him deliberately because of who he was.
Would a lady's pocket mean a ladies purse?

tipton_slasher.jpg

ladys_pocket.jpg

I always use the term "Polyfilla & slop" rather than "toads & shell-lac".
Alfred Bird invented other things than custard
Arguments amongst the magistrates.

poem.jpg

alfred_bird_invention.jpg

infighting_amongst_the_magistartes.jpg

The New Theatre in Moor St stopped advertising a few months before. Now we know why
Cheeky, but I cannot imagine a porter dressed in a corduroy suit.

new_theatre_bankruptcy.jpg

false_porter.jpg

At least we HAD porters in those days (honest or dishonest :courage: ) Scarcer than hen's teeth now.

Back