• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

As mentioned above, there was a reply from the fireman to the letter the day before. I am sure everyone believed them !!
An interesting suggestion as to where stone age flint axes came from.

fire_brigade_denial.jpg

fallen_angels.jpg

"Memorial" (meaning letter of request) from wholesale traders) to council listed in council proceedings. I like the appeal on behalf of humanity and the poor horses !
This letter praising the friendly society looks a bit like an advertisement to me, though it is in the correspondence columns,not marked as an advertisement. Advertisements were often interspersed with reports, though usually at the bottom of the page, and often initially looked like genuine reports. Often the Post ended a long discussion in th correspondence columns by saying no more letters on the subject would be published except as an advertisement. Some long arguments were continued, but with "advertisement" printed at the top of the letter.

memorial_from_traders.jpg

thanks_to_insurance_co.jpg

Not sure why this should be of especial interest to invalides
Amusing story from abroad

invalids.jpg

bells_in_the_belfry.jpg

I can possibly imagine someone putting a dog in a coffin if he was very attached, but a lead coffin?. that is, of course unless it was a very very old pre-christian burial

dogs_coffin.jpg

Mike, there were lead-lined coffins, often used to prevent bodily fluids from running out. I think often they were used in catacombs. There were also other metal coffins, not sure if they were iron or steel, but certainly a heavy metal. Just a craze at a time I think, just imagine the weight.

I know that Shortie. the romans used them as well. Usually it was for a very important person. It was the fact that it was a dog that made me wonder

The Sampson & Lion. Even had a coffee room. Perhaps this would be a sop to the temperance people

sampson___lion.jpg

Prosecuted for giving a neighbour a kettle of water and fined 5 shillings for it. The water companies then were even worse than the electricity companies today.
Apparently (at this time) people could sell British wine(manufactured strong wine similar to VP gut-rot to those who are not aware what it is) without a licence . Strange.

stealing_water.jpg

british_wine.jpg

Filling a kettle with water from someone else's tap ... Well, how petty!
Remember buying gut rot British wine from an off licence in Bournville (yes Bournville!). They sold it to you in a container drawn off another plastic container. God it was awful stuff and available from one of the rare off-licences in Bournville. It was like someones converted front room in Beaumont Road. No need to elaborate but it did a roaring trade. Say no more. Viv.

I've heard the expression "as interesting as watching paint dry", but possibly watching men cut slivers of slate over and over again might at least partially rival it - and to pay for the privilege !

slate_cutting.jpg

The advert for the Aston fete shows that the front and grounds of Aston Hall is to be lit by gas
The idea of a cheap restaurant for the working man has come to fruition.
New John St west is probably a place to, preferably, not live
Not a man shall escape ! He is very sure of himself.

aston_fete.jpg

dining_hall_company.jpg

night_soil_build_up.jpg

not_a_man_shall_escape.jpg

The advert for the Aston fete shows that the front and grounds of Aston Hall is to be lit by gas
The idea of a cheap restaurant for the working man has come to fruition.
New John St west is probably a place to, preferably, not live
Not a man shall escape ! He is very sure of himself.

aston_fete.jpg

dining_hall_company.jpg

night_soil_build_up.jpg

not_a_man_shall_escape.jpg

The B'ham Dining Halls scheme is interesting. The scheme seems to offer cooked food during the working day for a working man (and perhaps his working wife). Very progressive idea that they could also buy wholesome food to consume at home so that the whole family benefits. What a difference that could make to a family where the adults were out working hard all day.Viv.

A new chapel planned at Aston villa.
Another case, this time in Birmingham, concerning British wine. Here he was fined for selling a bottle of wine. It was British wine, so that should have been OK, as he did not need a licence, but the assistant said it was foreign, and so he was liable for the fine, not for misrepresentation, but because in the law's eyes it became foreign because the assistant said it was. !!

aston_villa_chapel~0.jpg

british_sherry_ok2C_foriegn_not~0.jpg

On can scarcely say it was not their own fault. Until I looked it up I never realised belladonna ointments and lotions had been used for inflamation.

poisoning_in_digbeth.jpg

"A new chapel planned at Aston villa."
aston_villa_chapel~0.jpg

An interesting fact about the chapel is

"Aston Villa Football Club were formed in March 1874, by four members of the Villa Cross Wesleyan Chapel (known as early as 1867 as Aston Villa Wesleyan Chapel" (Wikipedia) And here it is, a very large chapel. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371279149.798186.jpg

How interesting is the story about the poisoning. I find the story fascinating if not sad, thank goodness things have moved on. I wonder if belladonna is used in anything today! I also found the abode of Vaughton's Hole interesting never heard of this. I presume it was somewhere in Digbeth.

The Wesleyan church must have had strong connections with early football. My gt grandfather Thomas Smith was involved with the Wesleyan Church as well as being involed as secretery in the early days of West Bromwich Albion. I am proud to say he went to a meeting in London attended by William McGregor of Aston Villa.

This is from the club minutes.

On 16[SUP]th[/SUP] March 1888, At a Committee meeting it was resolved that Thomas would attend a conference held in the Andertons Hotel in London, with William McGregor and others, to discuss the formation of the Football league. Once again he proved to be an integral and important figure in the negotiations.

That's a great piece of family history Wendy. I recently heard about the work to form the rules for football league on Radio 4, but afraid I can't remember the programme. (Should have taken a note of the details). Your g. grandfather must also have been involved in those discussions. How wonderful to have been in at the start of what has become the most popular sport in this country. Viv.

Viv
Somewhere i have a map which shows Vaughton's hole, but can't quite find it. Vaughton st was named after it. It was a pool in the Rea and , I think was near the junction of Vaughton st and Gooch st. If I find the map i will put it on.

Mike, Vaughtons Hole was at the point on the map where Vaughton Street South crosses the Rea on this map (which is probably one of yours) as you say it was a part of the river that was deeper than the rest of it that was sometimes used for swimming and other leisure uses. But like the rest of Birmingham as industry caught up with it so it slowly disappeared. The one drawing in from 1745 shows it as an almost idyllic country scene, but the second some 86 years later it has been replaced by floodgates now it has gone completely

Attachments

• Street Plan Vaughton st c 1913.jpg
    Street Plan Vaughton st c 1913.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Balsall Heath Vaughtons Hole on the Rea painting 1745  .jpg
    Balsall Heath Vaughtons Hole on the Rea painting 1745 .jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Vaughtons Hole Floodgate 1831.jpg
    Vaughtons Hole Floodgate 1831.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 26
Fantastic what a wealth of information on this site. The pictures are lovely Phil thank you.

Never seen court proceedings used as a recommendation in an advert before
Never heard of the Magdelan Asylum before, but it seems to be a Victorian organization to rescue fallen women , probably aiming to increase the supply of servants fro the upper classes

court_quote_in_advert.jpg

magdelan_institution.jpg

I remember reading about those. Not sure if theyb were going as long ago as this. In both cases it might just be the name Magdalene from the bible being used to give respectability to the institution

I think they were Mike. They were in existance from the late 1800's to the late 20th centuries from what I have read.

Last edited:
The advert is for "Market House & Tavern", and includes cowsheds. Three years later the pub is sold just as a tavern, and cowsheds are not mentioned. Not clear if the pub in 1863 also served as part of the market, or perhaps provided facilities to hold cows while the farmers got drunk! The Farmers Arms was at 12 Moat row, at the other end to the Birmingham Arms.
here
Farmers_arms.jpg

Would not have thought there would be much of a demand for an anatomical artist, which is perhaps why he was made bankrupt
I known they did not have heath & safety in those days, but even so, Westley Richards would seem to be somewhat negligent , and the GWR don't seem to care much about their employees.
Don't need a sketch artist to "see" this litigant . Lord Dundreary was a character in a popular play of the time who was played by an acter of aprticular appearence, and others tended to copy this appearance if playing the part.

anatomical_artist.jpg

health_and_safety.jpg

Dundreary_whiskers.jpg

Back