• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

That's an awful lot of brewers.
Proposed alterations to New St

brewers.jpg

alterations_to_new_st_28129.jpg

Land at Hockley abbey site being sold off.
Never heard of warwickshire cheese before - or am I just ignorant?

hockley_abbey_land.jpg

warwickshire_cheese.jpg

No never heard of Warwickshire cheese either. Apparently, Warwickshie cheese was a favourite of Queen Anne (reign 1702-1714) so it's an old cheese. Wondering what exactly the advert was for as it doesn't really say. Sale of dairy business (re last sentence)? Or just cheese? Viv.

I think these reports of trials are sometimes very funny. The journalist was obviously enjoying ridiculing the case. Some nice details added too about the cleric's pipe smoking and his lodgings, and all in the space of a short article! Viv.

Viv - I remember from my school days the reign of Queen Qnne as being from 1702-1714, I think you might have the dates wrong here. Must have a look when Warwickshire cheese died out, might be time for a re-introduction?

Rather long, but a fascinating description of exotic products of a now-dead industry, and a papier mache piano !!. Snippett is divided in two

paper_mache_furnitureA.jpg

paper_mache_furnitureB.jpg

They are probably more interested in punishing the person causing a cost to the parish than the health of the child.
The Prince of Wales, which it must be, when new sounds much more impressive than it looks in later photographs
Have only posted the first part of the notice, because of size of notice. Seems strange that similar vaccination worries , though not unfortunately enforced as strictly, are occurring today with measles.
Someone had a red face after this report.

drain_on_the_parish.jpg

Prince_of_Wales_pub_new.jpg

vaccination__part.jpg

red_face.jpg

Of course the beer was probably high in lead ( qnd spider droppings) after passing through the pipe
A very serious offence this - damage to grass.

beer_theft.jpg

destruction_of_grass.jpg

Hi Mike, If the complainant was a farmer intending to make hay then he would have cause to complain if the grass had ben trampled down. Perhaps that's why he took it to court. Anne.

Never come accross "short pipe fraternity" before. Googling only gets a mention in some record office papers where someone of the short pipe fraternity set light to his pocket.

short_pipe_fraternity.jpg

First advert of this sort I have seen in 8 months, so either there has been an influx of unproofed guns, or the proof house is short of business

Butty miner I thought might be someone who accessed mines on canals (like dudley limestone caverns), but apparently many miners were not employed directly by the mine owner but by a contractor (or butty) who contracted to supply x tons of coal to the owner, and then employed his own labour,

proof_house.jpg

Butty_miner.jpg

Although butty was a term on the canals for a boat with no engine it was also used in the Black Country for a foreman, gang master or person who supplied materials to outworkers (eg nailers) and bought the finished products back from them.

An interesting cuatom. If it was carried out now there would be an awful lot of processions going round the streets
Unusual wager. Sounds like two of those people who will bet on anything.
Anything to avaoid paying out money to people.

slackers.jpg

dog_wager.jpg

travel_insurance.jpg

Very entertaining as usual Mike, nice to see a Cambridge snippet included, the hostelry in question was most likely the "Dog and Pheasant", which stood on Newmarket road and was still a celebrated watering hole for the racing fraternity in the late 70's. paul

Starnge antics in the churchyard .
Looks like a new pub is born, but it does not seem to last long, assuming the address is correct, as in 1867 no 224 is a confectioners. Also I cannot find a landlord named A.G.Eaves in either the 1862 or 1867 directories, though there is a clockmaker with those initials.

burial_antics.jpg

A_G_Eaves.jpg

Far afmed table ? Maybe, but I haven't come accross it. anyone know what happened to it. Googling just gave referenc eto papers in the national archives of a sale of it (not this sale).
Presumably the dead man was the only one in the family who bathed.

shakespearean_table_28129.jpg

bath.jpg

Battle of the chimney sweeps over whether one put sawdust in his soot !
I wonder in what way a donkey performs - play the donkee serenade perhaps

rival_sweeps.jpg

performing_donkey.jpg

Comment on condition of workhouse boys.
I rather like the idea of having a goldfish swim round in the water given to racehorses to ensure it is not poisoned

boys_from_workhouse.jpg

protection_of_derby_runners.jpg

Back