• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

hi mike;
so to me its the one i thought it was going back years in that period of your dates
as i lived around the block from there and our doctors surgery was there at the top end of course facing the old bulpitts huge ware houseing
which was at the top facing the surgery but way back in that early years it was the old music and dance hall the pailia where all the
victorians danced and the big bands played in there era
so i can take it that later in years from hockley brook up to as far as ingleby street and just beyond was originaly ickneild street
and at some point the boundries changed because from hockley brook up to spring hill was kept as ickneild street and just across the junction it became
as monument rd at some point because just past that junction at the spring hill libary was ingleby street
and i said i lived in king edwards rd which was a two minute walk from ou corner we lived close to the junction of king edwards rd and monument rd
ingleby rd in the 1900s was only one shop and a pub called the inglby arms a big pub ; and right at the bottom of the street was a little shop
its windows was one half in ingleby street and the other side was in spring hill passage its quite clear its not the same occuppys but at that time the shop was never rebuilt it was an orinional standing ; old and tired never repainted or done out and it was run by a old lady by the name of peacocks ;
she had silly bits of toys and sweets and abit of old second tatie clothing for sale it was not a big shop it was a tiny shop ;
so i say the street listed then must be the one i am saying ;i dont surpose you have a old map dting back to then do you ;
many thanks best wishes alan ;; astonian;;

Alan
Map of Ingleby st in 1914 is below

map_c_1914__ingleby_st.jpg

Hi mike
just looked at it and yes thanks for putting the map on and yes i was quite correct in myself as to what i have previously said ;
i wonder what date in time when they changed the name of ickneild street from springhill libary into monument rd ; thanks astonian;

Mike you are super map person. I like the map you have just put on here, because this is the area I lived in. I remember Ingleby St so well, as a friends parents ran the Ingleby pub. This is a map I'll definitely be keeoing. You put a map on here a few weeks ago actually of the street where I lived, and I was able to confirm that I didn't live in a back to back which I always suspected, but couldn't prove to myself. Many thanks to you.

Hi Maggs ;
i can recall yu saying afew years back that you knew of it and some think about the inglby arms
what year was you referring to when you said your friends or relie run the pub ;
as it was my local and i used to sing in there at week ends and some friends of mine got there first gig there on a saturday night
and i knew most people there as probaly your self being a local native like me ;just up the spring hill passage ; those were the days maggs and incidently they alway had a good gaffer in there as far as i can recall and thats for years pre;
i also knew alot of the local familys from the street and neibours to the pub ;
have a good day maggs ; best wishes astonian;; Alan ;;;;

Great stuff alan. An more tales for Spring Hill Passage? This photo is the only thing we have on the Alleyways Thread...poted by Phil...you make these places come to life...bless you..

Spring Hill Passage.jpg

hi bob ;
the picture of the house next to the lamp post was mt lumbs the care taker he done a great job in that school for years attened the gardens as well
what we had in the play ground ; directly opersite the house was phil knight and his mother whom are cousins to the adams family and next to them was the
mr and mrs frisby whom one of her sons was my best mate and but also she had foster kids from the erdington homes
and her story was in the birmingham mail one year and one of her sons i think hewas the eldest worked at the coop bakery in the retail centre
delivery to the shops ;and later they moved to westen rd top of hingestion street ;
the factory used be prices the cutley makers world wide ;
it was a great school and thats the gate we used to go in ; all the kids coming from our end of king edwards rd stour street spring field street st marks street and barker st and anidonton street the other kidswhom came from the george street west end uded to come in from steward street
the back end and all of you lads from up dudley rd barford and new spring street in fact brookfields as well;
and oppersite them gates was the old black smiths doing horse shoes and alsorts we used to cross over and watch him through his stable door he had ;
i coulld go on bob but i had better hang up here by the wy i knew alot of kids at barford and the aea of winson green; if its worth mentioning ;
oh and old mrs peacock was at the bottom of the spring hill passage plus the coach and horse pub where we would start our pub crawl from
adams ; frisby and me ; icidently adams cousins nipper from new spring street ;best wishes astonian;;

A (perhaps partially unexpected) landlords opinion of the suggestion of banning pub opening on sundays
Grateful citizens thank fire brigade.
Apparently many Valentines in the shops then were considered grossly indecent. In the same issue there is a much more detailed report of a similar prosecution in birmingham, but it is too long to include. i wonder how they would compare to soem today.
I presume that it is a missprint though "Fairy" occurs twice. If not then I long to know what a Fairy dress ball entailed. Nowadays it would be Elton John & playmates, but then ?

a_landlords_opinion_of_pub_sunday_closing.jpg

grateful_citizens.jpg

indecent_valentines_in_wolverhampton.jpg

fairy_dress_ball.jpg

The Master Bakers have a New Friend !
Suggestion of compromise in Master Bakers dispute.
Snug genuine concern makes pub sound rather minute.
I think the author is a trifle optimistic in both thinking there would be many customers and that the landlords would want to open under those conditions anyway.
Seems a bit over the top for an inspector to make a special journey jsut to catch these. Probably out to get them for other reasons also.
A reminder that piped sewage disposal was then not yet available for most areas.
The proprietress seems very condescending in allowing the daughter of a "tradesman" in. I get the impression that , in addition to the fees, she expects cut price goods also.
Not sure if this is a valid argument. a reduction of duty would still give a substantial profit to smugglers.

master_bakers_new_friend.jpg

potential_compromise.jpg

snug.jpg

bit_optimistic.jpg

bit_optimistic.jpg

bit_over_the_top.jpg

plea_from_the_heart.jpg

condescending_school.jpg

dubious_argument.jpg

Mike The Worcester Journal agreed with you about the misprint of the 'Fairy' Ball
This was in FACTS AND SCRAPS .
Berrow's Worcester Journal (Worcester, England), Saturday, February 14, 1863

Although I have found references to Fairy balls in other newspapers so I am not sure if they were genuine occasions or not.

Attachments

• fairy_ball.JPG
    fairy_ball.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 24

Master Bakers meeting
A split in the business, I suspect the split was not entirely amicable.
The marriage is going to be an event. Every town is seeing what it can do to celebrate, though most seem to want to keep the cost down. This firm obviously hopes to make a bit.
This must be the predescessor of the Nigerian dead millionaire e-mail scam.

master_bakers_meeting~1.jpg

A_split_in_the_business.jpg

gas_devices.jpg

early_con.jpg

Verdict was homicide by misadventure. Not quite clear how this differs from manslaughter. I gather from the web that "The former is excusable while the latter is felonious". Nowadays, at least, I would hope that , unless the person was mentally incapable, giving a dose of morphine aimed at the parent to a child would be counted as manslaughter.

homicide_by_misadventure.jpg

A very sad story Mike. I suppose some were not well educated and treated medicine as a magic cure all.

Some success by the Master Bakers.
Repairs to St Phillips. On a thread very recently someone commented on scaffolding around St Phillips. Maybe this was because of this restoration.
Destruction of Kidderminster station.
I don't think I have come accross "brickbat" used physically (as opposed to metaphorical ones) previously. Had to look it up and it means a limp of brick used as a weapon.

Master_Bakers~3.jpg

St_Phillips_restoration.jpg

destruction_of_kidderminster_station.jpg

brickbat.jpg

Think the fire at Kidderminster station is a fascinating account. Some things don't change; the crowd assembled to watch(!), looting and a W.H.Smith bookstall on the station. But how interesting that a big problem seems to be replacing tickets! Must have been a very busy station.

The painting you refer to Mike is this one by Paul Braddon called 'St. Phillip's Cathedral from New Street' (possibly, although not certain, painted for the american market). It looks like a retrospective view as Braddon was born in 1865. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361004214.220766.jpg

The report on Kidderminster Station really sets the scene. I love the phrase they used to describe the people that turned up to watch -'we regret to say some of these were of the worst class'. Also I was interested to see that a telegraph department had been fitted up in a van - what would a van be in 1863?

Wonderful accounts of the time Mike things are looking up for gt granddad. The account of the fire at Kidderminster Station is fascinating there were not enough police to control the situation. I laughed out loud at the phrase brickbat being used in court...great stuff..thanks again for taking the time to post these.

Think the fire at Kidderminster station is a fascinating account..... But how interesting that a big problem seems to be replacing tickets! Must have been a very busy station....

Remember Viv that in those days they used Edmondson pasteboard tickets which were all preprinted.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmondson_railway_ticket

Kidderminster would have had a large stock possibly for every station on the GWR and for many stations on connecting railways. Until a fresh stock could be obtained from the printers all tickets would have to be handwritten.

Thanks David. Wow 320million tickets per annum pre-1900! Just shows how popular the railways were. I remember the Edmondson-type card ticket. Much more solid than the thin, flimsy things issued today. But what a complex system to administer it must have been. We take so much for granted now that machines do all the thinking for us. Viv.

After collection the used card tickets from the Birmingham area used to be returned to Derby for pulping and re-using.

As Viv has said the admin for the tickets must have been enormous. For a bit of the history of the accounting see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railway_Clearing_House This must happen again today with privatisation. Just think if you are at Birmingham International today and want to get to New Street, you buy your ticket from Virgin but which train do you catch? Answer, The next one which can be Virgin West Coast, London Midland, Cross Country or Arriva Trains Wales. Then suppose you wanted a ticket to Walsall?

Confirmation of a Master Bakers success.
Nowadays this letter might be titles "Don't frighten the Horses"

confirmation_of_Bakers_success.jpg

Dont_frighten_the_horses.jpg

Am surprised that any calling himself Jehu should complain about other road users. Jehu was the biblical king noted for his pell=mell chariot driving.

Master Bakers a little elated, and post their notice next to that from the millers.
The Red lion, Handsworth not doing to well, or at least the landlord apparently isn't.
The Reverend Redhead might well be better named Bighead, being obviously very opinionated.

Master_Bakers~4.jpg

Red_lion_sale.jpg

Ringing_the_church_bells.jpg

A suggestion to celebrate the Prince of Wales Marriage that would undoubtably be very weel recieved by the recipients, but less well by those who employ them.
Not clear how the hotel can be called a Birmingham hotel if it is in Hatton Garden in London .
the first signe sof what would turn out to be an epic discovery, still only partly excavated, at Pompei.

remember_the_marriage.jpg

birmingham_hotel.jpg

first_signs_of_pompei.jpg

A volunteer fire brigade is to be formed, probably much to the distaste of the insurance companies.
Big fire near Floodgate st, but news of it took an hour to reach the fire offices thus enabling them to send their engines.

volunteer_fire_brigade.jpg

Fire_in_floodgate_st.jpg

Back