• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

Agree Mike, sounds over the top to me too. Too much symbolism in the carvings. And what a nightmare to clean too, a real dust trap. (Although the Prince of Wales wouldn't have concerned himself with that of course!) Viv.

Fireworks display for the royal Wedding.
Part of a report from a council meeting. I assume they are talking about what later became the cattle market in montague St.
Sounds like the Master Bakers are having a little party to celebrate their victory (?) over the millers .
The adverts for the Sultan Divan say that coffee etc will be served by "a turkish family in eastern costume", so any applicant might get a bit of a shock if he has to me made up and dressed in drag.
Quite a feat stealing a desk from a hotel

fireworks.jpg

montague_st.jpg

master_bakers_meeting_BP_4_3_1863.jpg

waiter_for_sultan_divan.jpg

nicked_desk.jpg

Suggestion from a citizen as to how the royal marriage might be celebrated. Could perhaps also be suggested today on occasion.
Suggestion from a prisoner as to how the royal marriage might be celebrated.
Walking along the street with bayonet in hand , as you do...
When i saw this i thought it was some sort of fancy organ, but apparently it is just an early name for a cornet.

suggstion_for_councillors.jpg

suggestion_from_prisoners.jpg

bayonet.jpg

cornopean.jpg

To clear any confusion on this wonderful thread here is a picture of a Cornopean.

cornopean.jpg

A bit of armtwisting required on employees to help pay for the hideous marriage gift.
Church approval of the celebrations.
Bus for the sightseeers.
Turkish bath to cure mentally ill , or a snake oil salesman out to push his wares ?

pressure.jpg

lent.jpg

bus_for_sightseeers.jpg

turkish_cure.jpg

The paper is full of the royal Wedding. first regulations as to how carriages viewing the decorations must travel
I bet this advert caught the eye of the punters
some dissension in the ranks from those contributing against those deciding what is best for them

carriage_regulations.jpg

this_caught_the_eye.jpg

Dissension_in_the_ranks.jpg

Warning from police. Maybe they are doing the 19th century equivalent of political correctness by not calling them pickpockets.
Maybe I'm being cynical, but the Industrial home would seem to be using the opportunity for cutting expenses they would normally have to incur themselves . I bet the girls were not consulted as to which they would prefer.
Postman given dinner in the celebration
Great French giant, not tinned Corn.

police_warning.jpg

clothing_for_industrial_home.jpg

dinner_for_postman.jpg

great_french_giant.jpg

sounds like Cremorne gardens were some sort of pleasure ground. Garibaldi was a contreversial politician in Italy at the time. Presumably Garibaldi knockdowns were a bit like coconut shies with a reproduction of him to aim at.

cremorne_gardens.jpg

Pretty sizeable place then. Think the gardens might have been named after the Cremorne Gardens in London (as per Vauxhall Gardens). There seems to have been some concern about the acts that appeared in these places as this 1863 extract from The Parliamentary Remembrancer notes:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362928726.648162.jpg
Can't make out if the Cremorne Gardens mentioned in this extract is the one on the edge of Aston Park or the London one.

Was intrigued by this advert. Not only does it not say what he undertakes commisions for, but refers to obtaining details from an advert in a competitor newspaper, something that today would not be likely to be permitted.

Therer is over three quarters of a page just describing decorations in town (with many other additions, with apologies) in the next days paper, but the writer seemed to not be too keen on the illumination of the town hall, and let people know it

ScreenHunter_01_Mar__06_03_50.jpg

illumin2C_of_town_hall.jpg

Hairless dogs always look a bit peculiar to my eyes. I am not sure what a hairless horse would look like
Just "bring it to Jamaica Row". The posted of the advert must think that everyone knows where in Jamaica row he lives.
Would not have thought it worth the cost of the advert for a flag.

hairless_horse.jpg

jamaica_row.jpg

stolen_flag.jpg

Been puzzling over the "Varnished American Cloth". Obviously some sort of container or bag. The only vague reference I've tracked down is a type of linoleum. But still finding it hard to imagine a bag made of Lino! Viv.

Later addition. Actually, I've just given it some more thought and Lino or oilcloth is used for modern bags in the Cath Kidston range. Should have thought of that before. And oilcloth does make great bags. Viv.

A hairless horse does sound strange - I expect it drew a crowd for the whole 8 hours - poor horse having to stand there for that long!

I wonder why the flag was so important? Something brought back from travels?

Worries about conditions of bakeries and health of bakers
Omnibus and accoutrements for sale.

health_of_bakers.jpg

omnibus_sale.jpg

I know this is the wrong place but although I can access this site which I love Mike, but I cannot access the whole site - Google keeps coming up 'not found'
and I don't know how to get it back.
Sheri

This "invention" had to be from america. Perhaps an event involving it was the origin of the song "Great Balls of Fire" !
As the cuffs can be wiped over they cannot be cloth covered, so would think they would look somewhat peculiar and possibly cut the hands (or necks)

gas_lit_headdresses.jpg

steel_collars_and_cuffs.jpg

Steel collar and cuffs, the mind boggles,!! as for solid gold gas lights, I would imagin the market was very narrow.!!
paul

On 13th the old owner of the Lichfield Omnibus was selling his omnibus and horses. Today the new owner announces his plans. Only runs three days a week -maybe present rural bus services are not as bad as they could be

new_owner_of_omnibus_route.jpg

New Theatre, Moor St for sale. It has had a few adverts for it's productions in the paper , but obviously not very successful. Cannot ( as yet) discover where it was exactly.
Comfortable swelling, slaughterhouse attached - not the most salubrious place to set your head.
Organ builder. Haven't come accross one before in Birmingham

theatre_for_sale.jpg

house_with_slaughterhouse_attached.jpg

organbuilder.jpg

may be it is my interpretation, but in the 19thC, everything seems to be run by or run with the local public houses???, (auctions, bus's, theater entertainment, boxing matches,).
paul

A giant is in Birmingham . He was mentioned on 12th, having lost a bag, but I had not realised that Giant was not his surname, but a title, presumably instead of Esquire

giant_in_birmingham.jpg

On 13th the old owner of the Lichfield Omnibus was selling his omnibus and horses. Today the new owner announces his plans. Only runs three days a week -maybe present rural bus services are not as bad as they could be

new_owner_of_omnibus_route.jpg

John Alston in the first ad and James Alston in the second?

Back