• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mills Of Birmingham

• Thread starter Thread starter O.C.
  • Start date Start date
Thanks Cromwell, those are brilliant pictures, I wonder as I do this research if the human race of today could produce and manufacture in the conditions of 150 plus years ago, I will carry on wondering :uglystupid2:
:flower: :cat:

Those dark satanic Mills of Birmingham

Seeing those pictures posted by Cromwell really does set the scene a bit. Apart from the first one with Prince Albert, which is unnaturally posed, with the spectators neatly arranged in the corner in tiers. But that picture shows a wonderful industrial roof. Brilliant stuff!
Peter

Birmingham the workshop of the World in those days, but folk did not realize the condition that the people worked in, in the Mill that made Swords, Scythe's, Spades Saws and tools of every description
I bet the injury rate was tremendous
These two picture are from a newspaper dated 1864 make ya think "Don't It "

Lois have you ever heard of The Millers Society? There was a reference to it in last night's Birmingham Mail, it didn't give an address though. It was mentioned in connection with Geoff Blore's book "Dicky Blood's War". He was an evacuee from Birmingham to Woodmill Farm, Yoxall.

Cromwell, if that picture is of Coleshill, then the answer is no, way before my time :2funny:
Sylvia, I'm already registered at the Miller's Society, they give some very good info O0
Aston, lovely picture of the mill, one of the mills that I am researching has connections with a mill in Virginnia, makes very good reading O0

Cromwell the more I look at that Blyth Bridge tea room, I have a sneaky feeling that it's not in Warwickshire, but down south somewhere, am I right or wrong. Reason being is, I've been to Blythe Mill and there isn't no tearooms there, the mill itself is away from the house and to small to house a tearoom, its also of the beaten track, so unless you know the area you wouldn't know it was there. There is this niggle in my mind that the picture could be somewhere, and I think, down London way. May be mistaken, if so my appoligies in advance :uglystupid2:

I think my sneaky feeling was right, except I got the wrong part of the country, just looked it up, and there is a picture on the Francis Frith page of Blyth Bridge Tearoom, Old Mill Road , Scotland, so the answer to your question Cromwell is no never had a cup of tea there, never been to Scotland.

Loisand, Tigerlily calls me Holmes and I call her Watson for all the research we have both done together.
Now ya insticts are right, their is an E on the end of your Blythe Mill.  O0
Loisand I take my helmet off to you

Great Photo of Thomas Henry Summerton who was listed as a steam miller at 446 & 448 Park Road Hockley

Thanks Cromwell, do you know what date the picture is, also would that have been known as the Soho manufactury?
Have saved the picture

Dont know exact date but it can be found in the Kelly's or trade directories.and its not the Soho manufacturing of Watt ad Boulton I'll post a few pics of that a bit later

Loisand, Handsworth Heath was a barren place in 1757 but the Lord of the Manor of Handsworth granted a lease of 99 years to Messrs. Rushton and Brooke to divert Hockley Brook and to form a pool for the requirements of a water-mill which the wanted to use for rolling metal then in 1762 Mathew Boulton purchased the lease who rebuilt and enlarged the mill and enlarged again in 1764.His factory at Soho had over a 1000 workmen making everything from silver plated wares, candlesticks, tripods. etc which led to the Assay Office to be built. He met James Watt in 1767 and expanded which the help of the Steam engine

Here he is in 1901 Loisand. The census has a column headed At Work or at Home, he was 'At home' An American with a mill in Smethwick  living in Birmingham. (i've downloaded Johns's List)

Name: Thomas H Summerton
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1861
Relation: Head 
Spouse's name: Sarah H
Where born: North American, Citiyen

Civil Parish: Birmingham 
Ecclesiastical parish: St Chrysostom 
County/Island: Warwickshire 

Street address: 448 Park Road

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Birmingham 
Sub-registration district: All Saints 
ED, institution, or vessel: 29 
Neighbors: View others on page 
Household schedule number: 117
Household Members: Name Age
Lucy Pratt 18 
Florry Simkins 16 
Adelaide Summerton 10 
Arthur H Summerton 12 
Doris Summerton 3 
Elsie Summerton 6 
Florence J Summerton 14 
Frank Summerton 9 
Frederick Summerton 7 
Sarah H Summerton 36 
Thomas H Summerton 40 

Thanks everyone, will download your list John, Di brilliant work once again, Cromwell no wonder I hadn't got that mill it was not in the Warwickshire area, naughty naughty, you trying to catch me out :2funny:

Loisand the shop was in Park Rd Hockley that is what is on the card O0

loisand this is the same map as reply 13, which is also in the cliffton road topic.
I am reposting it as it shows more than one mill in the aston area(which I have marked red dots) NOW I MAY BEING TEACHING MY GRANDMOTHER TO SUCK EGG HERE :-[,but have you got these on your records? :D

Thanks Aston, yes I already have those ones, the one by Salford reservoir is a question mark, but will look up my records on that one, thanks once again :smitten:

Did anyone see Midlands Today last night, if so did you see mills are making a come back, even though it was a rice mill, my hat goes of to Tony Deep, who has worked very hard to be where he is today, he has spent £6 million pound on the mill and his buisness looked brilliant, new technolgy, just shows what can be done :smitten:

Thanks John, I'm beginning to put addresses to some of the mills now where I have just got the names :smitten:

I was Googlling and found this, Loisand

Chapman's Windmill and R.Wier on Holloway Head 1870

Chapman’s brick built tower mill stood on the hill overlooking Holloway Head. It is thought to have been constructed in 1745 by Clark’s who were millwrights in Deritend until the late 18th century. There had been at least one previous mill on this site, which is the present site of the Clydesdale Tower block. The mill was owned by Mr Chapman for some time and on his death in 1776 was sold to a Mr J.Griffiths. In 1778 it was struck by lightning and badly damaged. The mill was finally demolished in 1873.

This photograph shows the mill in the middle distance. In the foreground is R.Wier - a carpenter, joiner and coffin maker. There are several fly-posters on the wall and also a large advert for Orams of 124 Broad Street who were a furniture and bedding store.

The view today would see you looking straight across at Clydesdale Tower and the garage next door.

Photograph taken by Harold Baker

Di that's brilliant, it's fantastic what you can do and find out on these computers, have downloaded the photo.
Aston, I have found abit of information about the Castle Bromwich mill, I know where it once stood now, and Cromwell,(earlier in the post) provided a photo of the miller of Castle Bromwich, it's just a pity that progress has managed to stick the M6 motorway on the original site.
Thanks everyone :smitten:

Back