• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mills Of Birmingham

• Thread starter Thread starter O.C.
  • Start date Start date
Thanks loisand, I found a Mill Hill of Kingleigh Drive CASTLE BROM, (which is a dead end IRoad) had assumed this to be associated with the mill at the bottom, you saying it under the M6 confirms that. O0
Thanks
ASTON

Duddeston Flour Mill, it might be that this is elsewhere on the forum in which case we can remove it.

Looking at the 1945 A-Z there is only an Edgebaston Road, but way back it may have been Edgebaston Lane, and I do have an Edgebaston Mill which was also known as Averns Mill, if this is the picture of that mill the site that it originally stood on became part of the premises of the Tally Ho Club. Edgebaston Mill existed in 1231 and continued to operate as a corn mill untill the 19th century. By the 18th century it was one of the biggest corn mills in Birmingh with at least 2 water wheels. The mill itself was demolished in 1920, the millers house remained until 1993. Archaelogical excavation in 2004 revealed the base of a brick mill dating to the 18th century, with a wheel pit at each end. The iron blades of the water wheel remained in place in the northern wheel pit.
:flower: :cat:

See your spelling of Edgebaston,I always believed it was Edgbaston,on searching Google I find both ways in use even birmingham.gov.uk and Birmingham University use both forms on their web sites,whilst Birmingham Police only seem to use Edgbaston.Are they both right or not

Colin

Colin map 1839 and 1945 both spell it without the E, I spell the way I say!
I must be posh

Cromwell, yes that one has been posted before, so please delete. Postie that's a nice one of Tolsons Mill, any other detail on it, I know parts of Tamworth came under Warwickshire, did Fazeley? :smitten:
Postie I've downloaded the picture

Di has posted a census report in 1871 for James Baines, according to John's Kelly directory 1868 this gentleman had mills, or milled them, in Lancaster Street and Church Street. I have looked on a 1839 map of the city centre and can't see no mills in those streets, does anybody know anything about these mills, what were they possibly called. In 1871 he was a miller at Coleshill Road, so his mill then could possibly have been somewhere in the Hodge Hill area, any info would be grateful :smitten:
Thanks in advance :flower: :cat:
Just looked through all of this link again and there is nothing on this area

Loisand,Looking for information about Monyhall Hospital I found this reference to Monyhull Hall

Examination of an old barn has revealed the hidden history of Monyhull Hall in Kings Norton. Monyhull Hall is first mentioned in historic documents in 1608, but we know that there was an estate called Monyhull as far back as 1237 and that a watermill on the Chinn Brook near the site was being built in 1286. Looks like another one for you.

Colin

Thanks Colin, haven't got that one, have you any other info on it. Would Monyhull Hall by any chance be the same as MOUNDESLEY Hall, Kings Norton, if so this is what I have on that : "There was a mill at Moundsley in King's Norton probably on the upper reaches of the Chinn Brook, in the late 15th century. It may have been the same as the Crab Mill of Crabmill Lane and Crabmill Farm south of Moundesley Hall."
Taken from British History online

Some of the industry that was done in some of the Birmingham Mills:
Black lead Pencil Makers.....Francis Mills, Liverpool Street
Bone, Ivory & Hard Wood Cutting....Legge Street Mill
Brass Founders....Powell's Mill, Aston Road
Metal & Electro Plated Ware....Reeve's Mill, Dean Street
Carvers in Wood, Ivory & Bone....Aston's Mill, Jennens Road
Cornice, Cornice Polo & Ring Makers...Maclows Mill, Sherlock Street
Crate Makers...Brueton's Mill, Prosspect Row
Gun & Pistol Makers....Gibson's Mill, Weaman Street
That Is just a few, all taken from 1858 General & Commercial Directory (on the web)

Loisand,not sure where to post this one,hardly a Birmingham Mill but cannot find a reference to it anywhere else.This is Charlecote Mill at Hampton Lucy.

www.charlecotemill.co.uk

"Powered by two large undershot waterwheels from the River Avon, the mill grinds wheat and maize between French burr millstones to make cornflour and organic or conventional wholemeal wheat flour"

You can just see the River Avon on the left hand side,and the wheels are through the arch of the building,with the tail race running to the right hand lower corner.

This was on our way to Wellsbourne Market,after the market we visited Wellsbourne Mill, but its closed for the winter,so no picture there. Returning home  ( the long way via Stratford and Bidford) in the interest of further research we called at the Washford Mill by Redditch ,not much on the mill but can recommend the rib-eye steak and the smothered chicken.

Colin

Thanks Colin, I've been onto the Charlcote web site and downloaded what I wanted from there. Glad you liked Washford Mill, many moons ago I used to live down the road from there just by the hospital, is the glass floor still there? I have downloaded your photo, yes I know I'm cheeky, thanks once again.

I wonder if this is the same Lucy family who owned the Clifford Mill in Old Stratford.

Last edited:
I would have thought so, the Lucy family were rather large, and when you look in the archieves a member of the Lucy family crop up everywhere, somewhere I have the family tree of the Lucy family so I will have a look. The present mill and buildings was built by the Lucy estate, and is still owned by Sir Edmund Fairfax Lucy, the building was built in 1806. The "Upper Avon Navigation Trust" is trying to make the River Avon Navigable from Stratford to the Grand Union Canal, which would be a disaster for Charlecote Mill, if they raise the waterlevel on the downstream side it would make it impossible to run the water wheels!! :smitten:

Hi Di, I have looked on the family tree to do with the Lucy family of Charlecote, and there is none of their names on it, but that don't mean to say that they are not related, they most possibly are descendants of the Lucy family in some way or form. Sir Edmund Fairfax-Lucy is married to Lady Lucinda Lambton, he is the grandson of Ada Christina Lucy who married Sir Henry Ramsay-Fairfax and the son of Sir Brian Fairfax-Lucy who married Hon. Alice Buchan. :smitten:

I have looked on the lucy archieve and this is all I can find to do with Jane Lucy : creation date 30 Oct 1721, "Counterpart of lease from Jane Lucy of Charlecote, widow, to Thomas Venour of Wellsbourne Mountford, gent, of a farm called Little Hill Farm in Charlecote. To hold for 7 years for the annual rent of £50." :smitten:

Thank you for the info Loisand. Lucy is not a commonl name, so way back they are probaby from one family. :)

Loisand I found this whie Googling

THE HISTORY OF WELLESBOURNE MILL:

There has been a mill on the site between the villages of Wellesbourne and Walton since Anglo-Saxon times. The mill situated on the river Dene, is one of three mentioned in Domesday Book in 1086, when Walton had a population of more than 250. In William the Conquerors England, 5624 mills were recorded, 130 of them in Warwickshire. In 1086, the mill was owned by Count Meulan, the Earl of Warwick who leased it to the miller, Saxi for 6 shillings a year. Nine hundred years on, there are barely 30 working mills in England and at the last count, only two in Warwickshire.

In the 12th C the mill was known as Bayford Mill but its name changed during the 19th C and by the time the old postcard of the mill was produced in the 1890s it was more commonly known as Wellesbourne Mill.

WIND AND WATERPOWER:

An enclosure map of 1733, shows that there was a windmill on the site as well. Oliver Cross leased the two mills and the windmill was to be left with two good sailcloths. The windmill disappeared between 1790 and 1834; it may have blown down or been demolished to provide timber for the re-build of the watermill in 1834.

Thanks Di, have downloaded info, Robert I am assuming so, I got the info from a Birmingham directory, do you know anything about the company? :smitten:

I sure have Di, that was my bible to start of with, now it's back to the National Archieve pages and going through those for certain families of the Midlands, all good research, but sometimes abit tedious :smitten:

loisand sorry for the late reply, but i read somewere about the date Dean st was built, and have been trying to track it down. any way it was built in 1834, does that tie in with your dates. As i remember it in the 50s thier were houses on the east side looking down from Edgebaston st well over a 100 years old . on the other sidewere offices and warehouses built in the 20s/30 some owned by a firm called Nicholls. the name Reeves does seem to ring a bell but i cant be sure.If the was a mill in that street were would it got its water supply from? There was in fact still is a street not more than 200yds away called Claybrook st, do you know if there was a brook about that time.

Robert There was water up as far as Dean St in 1700's Ancient seat of Brum was where the Markets are today thats why there is a Moat Row it was fed by the Rea

Back