• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

miller street newtown.

• Thread starter Thread starter 500miles
  • Start date Start date
hi gillian..well in that case the pic i posted could contain some of the family in it....nice thought isnt it...

cheers

lyn

No Dave I wasn't trying to correct you we will do that when we Play Wolves

Hi All - Have just received 2 death certs,address on each (1884) is 3 Miller St followed by 'u.s.d'. Does anyone know what this abbreviation means ? Would be grateful for suggestions.

USD= Urban Sanitary District, in other words "in the town" whose name should appear elsewhere on the certificate. Aston for Miller Street?

Hello Lloyd - Thanks for your answer re u.s.d. My certs don't have any district given only St George's Brum. Next question is why this detail was there,suppose it was social statistics,something to do with possible causes of death.

thanks for those pics reg...you have just reminded me that i was going to try and find out what was to become of miller st garage..theres a lot of history to it as you know..all i have to do is think of who i can press on the subject and basically make a nuisence of meself...lol...

lyn

Still got some more piccies Lyn, shall I put them on.? If you want to go and make a nuisance of yourself I'll come with you. See if we can get inside.?

Miller Street tram depot was Birmingham Corporation's first (and subsequently last, in 1953) when they took over the leases of the former private tramway company operations in the city, starting with Steelhouse Lane - Aston (Brook Street) on 4 January 1904.

yes please reg..post all you have...my son is a bus enthuisiast and has been down miller st many times with his camera so i will show him your pics...with regards to us having a decco inside can we discuss our plans at the stag next week...im up for it lol...on a more serious note i do hope the garage is saved and not destroyed like far to much of our history has been...

lyn

thanks reg...great pics...our tom reckons that if we picked a day when workers are there and ask nicely we would be allowed in to take pics......saves getting arrested lol...will chat about it soon...

lyn

right then reg...maybe we can sort out something out as we could really do with getting inside the buildings to take our pics.. in the past ive found most folk amenable if you ask nicely....my H B SALE thread was just one instance...

lyn

I was wondering if someone could please tell me if there was a BP Petrol Station on Miller Street in the 1920s and whether it was a public one or connected to the Bus Station? Would it be mentioned in one of the directories in late 1910s or early 1920s (lookup req please)?

Last edited:
Pete said thanks for that Reg brought back a lot of memories. I didn't ask what they were though?. TTFN. Jean.

hi richard..i would imagine your sister in law would have been in miller st when this was taken...

fancy dress for the corornation...1953

lyn

Back