• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

miller street newtown.

• Thread starter Thread starter 500miles
  • Start date Start date
So many photos have been lost from this thread. Here's one of the junction of Miller Street and Aston Road. Obviously the focus of the photo is the tram, but you can get an idea of the houses on Miller Street. Sorry no date but looks about 1940/50s. Viv.
image.jpeg

Hi Viv, With so many people watching, the tram full with windows open, a policeman riding on the tram, and another policeman watching, it would be the last tram probably going to the Miller Street depot. A tram expert could probably give the exact date of the pic.
Phil

Think you're right Phil. The boys to the left seem to be really enjoying the occasion too. Viv.

A couple who adopted my grandfather owned a grocery shop in Miller St, Aston. Must have been around the 1930's. They were called Charlotte and Alfred Potter. Does anyone know anything about the shop or them?

I worked For 30 years at a precision press work in Miller Street called Regon Industries which was next to a dairy owned by the Lewis family it eventually turned into a large haulage company who I believe owned at one time more than thirty lorries and also next to Birmingham’s Miller Street bus depot. Across the road from us was a grocery shop owned at that time 1958 / 1987 by a Mr, & Mrs Mottram Our factory closed around 1987 when the lease to the premises ran out. We moved lock stock and barrels to a new factory in Sedgely but unfortunately they went into liquidation in the 90’s

Thank you for your reply Astoness but I only joined this afternoon and as yet don’t understand how the forum works or where to find or use the search box

Hello Jacko, the search box is on the right of the blue banner at the top of the page. Happy searching!
rosie.

I worked For 30 years at a precision press work in Miller Street called Regon Industries which was next to a dairy owned by the Lewis family it eventually turned into a large haulage company who I believe owned at one time more than thirty lorries and also next to Birmingham’s Miller Street bus depot. Across the road from us was a grocery shop owned at that time 1958 / 1987 by a Mr, & Mrs Mottram Our factory closed around 1987 when the lease to the premises ran out. We moved lock stock and barrels to a new factory in Sedgely but unfortunately they went into liquidation in the 90’s
My dad worked at Regons....John McNair. Do you remember him?

There appears to be 2 threads for Miller Street, the other is "miller street newtown" hope this is the correct place.
I bet this building could tell a few tales since it was built 1920s/30s perhaps, shown as Corporation Yard on the map and is currently occupied by National Express Bus Training (No. 121 Miller St.). Shame the tramway building next door was demolished.

Attachments

• millerstreet.jpg
    millerstreet.jpg
    644.7 KB · Views: 29
  • millerstmap.jpg
    millerstmap.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 26
There appears to be 2 threads for Miller Street, the other is "miller street newtown" hope this is the correct place.
I bet this building could tell a few tales since it was built 1920s/30s perhaps, shown as Corporation Yard on the map and is currently occupied by National Express Bus Training (No. 121 Miller St.). Shame the tramway building next door was demolished.
i parked a few buses in that yard after i refuled them and checked oil and water.in the 60s

There is a Miller St thread with a couple of interesting pics in post #2 .... :rolleyes:
Lyn
I have already posted one of these photos of Miller Street to the "can you help name the pub" thread, but here it is again with another two, I'm sure I have more I'll do a search for them.
index.php

index.php

A clearer pic of a bombed building from another thread. The exact location of this building is identified in yet another thread ... :)
Just another morning after a night of heavy bombing in Miller Street Aston. Most of the building has fallen on to the pavement and the roof is hanging off over that women standing on the debris looking at a gate. She seems to have said something which caught the attention of the two blokes in the pic.
index.php

Can anyone help me locate Albert Place, Miller Street in the early 1900's please. I'm looking for No. 5 as this address appears on a baptism record. Thanks.

Thanks Mike. Hadn't noticed any like this before - they're at the back of other properties but not back-to-backs. I think I had dismissed them as outhouses.

Back