• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

miller street newtown.

• Thread starter Thread starter 500miles
  • Start date Start date
well high resolution or not mike yer better than i will ever be. i tend to get lost in the back garden. lol. cheers lyn

Dave, the Corner of Bracebridge St & Ashford St Catchpoles or Cattermoles Packers opposite my Grans House No5

The Cafe on the corner of AstonBrook St & Bracebridge St.

Last edited:
Mikejee, many thanks for posting the 1904 listing for Miller Street, at No.22 I have found a Henry Wallace - Carpenter - who could be my grandad's brother - born 1873. I will have to check the 1901 census to see if I can find out more information.

alf would that mean that your nan lived close to my gt aunt then as she lived at no 4 albert place or would that be seperate numbers as it says albert place. sylvia we may have another st in common then as if i remember right you had a ancestor in pritchett st i think the same as me. lyn

Sylvia
Checked 1912 edition and there is no wallace listed in miller st then, or any carpenter called wallace. There is no Henry Wallace listed in the alphabetical trade directory. But there is a Henry wallace in the 1921 edition , carpenter at 196A Aston Road.
Mike

alf would that mean that your nan lived close to my gt aunt then as she lived at no 4 albert place or would that be seperate numbers as it says albert place. sylvia we may have another st in common then as if i remember right you had a ancestor in pritchett st i think the same as me. lyn

In 1922 My Cousin Joan (Birth Certificate) was born in 5 Victoria Place, Ashford Street running alongside that could have been Albert Place if so My Cousins & Aunts on Moms side lived there By the name of Price.
What was you G Aunts surname Lynn.

Last edited:
lucy harrington alf. born 1914. her parents were henry and alice harrington. this is great we are getting quite a little following for miller st. lyn

Mike, thanks for the further information, I will have to do a little digging.

Lyn, to add to the Miller Street connection, on the corner of Miller Street/Newtown Row was a cafe in the 50s/60s, but in earlier years probably the late 1920s early 1930s my mother's cousin either Edward or Richard Burbidge had a shoe shop there, Edward and Richard were twins so I'm not sure which one. Mom used to tell me that when Dickie Henderson's parents were appearing at the Aston Hipp, they used to buy shoes for their children from him. The Henderson children were part of the act, and Dickie Henderson went on to become quite famous in the early days of television.

wicked stuff slyvia. i can remember dickie henderson. i realy must try and get some house pics of miller st. lyn

hi all. ive just come accross this pic. taken in 1953 the four finalists in the coronation fancy dress. it would be great if someone recognised this. wales.

Hi Lyn,
No bells ringing. I dont even remember a Coronation Party in Bracebridge St never mind a Fancy Dress competition (it was a busy road). I have lots of pictures of houses in Miller St, unfortunately they are all in my head. Wouldnt it be great to be able to transfer our thoughts/memories onto cd or dvd? What a history we would have!

As with The Vine, hopefully something will turn up for Miller St houses?

I remember Arblasters Sweet Shop near the corner with Aston Brook St with the sweets in those large bottles with large openings (big enough to get your hand in), stacked on shelves all over the shop. Every Sunday I would get 2ozs of sweets as a treat. I also remember Wrigleys Newsagents about halfway down on the same side. I used to fetch the Sunday newspapers from there as a lad - if I got out of bed early enough!

nice memories dave. im sure pics of miller st will turn up. if you are talking about the vine inn villa st i did post that at long last i have it. or at least i will have in a couple of weeks. its been tracked down and a copy on order. dont worry you will all be the first (after me) to see what all the fuss has been about. lyn

hi WALES I was born at 36 MILLER St in 1935 my g/father S.SUTTON AT lived IO Clifton place behind our house Do you remember ARBLASTERS shop almost opposite cheers
33bus tom

sorry tom. i dont remember it as it was my dads auntie who was born in miller st in 1904. best wishes wales.

hi DAVE ive posted on a previous post that we used to fetch the blocks of ice from somewhere by ANSELLS brewery for Mrs ARBLASTERS ice cream i went with 1/2 other lads DENNIS,RAYMOND CORMELLwho lived by my g/father we pushed a wooden box mounted on 2wheels .Thanks for the memories i was only 5/6yrs old ,the family moved
to GREAT BARR ,DYAS RD,then BIRDBROOK RD*(61)then (206) BIRDBROOK RD in1941 i cant remember seeing DENNIS or RAYMOND again cheers
33bus tom

Just got a copy of the 1911 Census Show My Grandfather & Gt Grandfather Lived at No.5 Albert Place, Miller Street.. So you can please add me as a Miller Street Member.
The Family Name was Gough.
The Census states 4 rooms with 9 persons Living there. My Gradfather was a Newsboy aged 13, his father a Varnish Painter, and 1 brother a Striker /Tool trader. I've also scanned in a plan i have of 1917 which i think could be Albert Place if not the opposite side of the road between houses. Until i found how many houses were in Albert Place i cant assess it.
Image Link

Merrel
According to the 1912 kellys, albert place was on the north side of miller st, between aston and shefford roads. Therefore it must be made up of the 6 houses in the centre of the triangle, shefford rd, miller st aston brook st.
mike

Thanks mikejee... i've changed plan and marked on the back houses... I presume we are now talking about "A"

Steve

No Steve. It is C I meant. It doesn't look quite the same as the others (not as regular), but it is the only one that fits.
Mke

hi folks..just come accross another pic of miller st showing a tramcar and more importantly houses and people who lived in the street...will scan and post later on today...ive had a look and as far as i can see its not been posted before..

lyn

hi lynn, most of my dads family lived in miller street not sure of the house numbers ,sorry they were the peace family, good luck in your serch best wishes gillian jones nee peace now living in wales.

hi gillian..what years did your dads family live in miller st..im just about to scan the pic and post it...its dated...4th of july 1953

lyn

the last tram car down miller st....1953 since ive been lending my sons lap top the pics are coming out different...click on it once then again at the bottom of the pic,.it should magnify....

lyn

Attachments

• millerst_1 the last tram.jpg
    millerst_1 the last tram.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Hi Lyn,
The picture is taken looking down Miller Street from near the corners oppoosite Blews Street park towards Bracebridge Street with the taller factory building just shown on the right. This is the same building that can be seen on the Bracebridge Street thread looking in the opposite direction.
Some 10 years later I had a girlfriend who lived in the houses on the left - Pauline Haynes.
Picture reprocessed. Note "Last Tram?" There''s another one coming up behind! Wasn't that always the way?

Last edited:
Hi Lyn,
The picture is taken looking down Miller Street from near the corners oppoosite Blews Street park towards Bracebridge Street with the taller factory building just shown on the right. This is the same building that can be seen on the Bracebridge Street thread looking in the opposite direction.
Some 10 years later I had a girlfriend who lived in the houses on the left - Pauline Haynes.
Picture reprocessed. Note "Last Tram?" There''s another one coming up behind! Wasn't that always the way?

Turn again Dave the Last Tram is not leading, its behind the one in the distance, but a nice photo just the same

hi lyn, i was born in 1947 and they were there then right up till the sixties i think .best wishes gill.

Back