• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

miller street newtown.

• Thread starter Thread starter 500miles
  • Start date Start date
Hi Lyn my sister inlaw wasn't at the Millers Arms when the fancy dress for the coronation
she moved to the Clements in Newtown Row.
regards .
Richard

ahh i see richard...well the clements is still up and running at least...ive not heard of the millers arms so a pic of it would be nice...i shall keep that one in my mind...

cheers

lyn

Hi Lyn,
I can't think of a pub in Miller Street. I can think of 2 outdoors, 1 on the corner of Miller St and Bracebridge St (picture posted by you) and one on the corner of Miller St and Aston Brook St. I wasn't old enough to drink at the time so I could be mistaken. I never heard my dad mention it and if it existed he would have played dominoes there!!!

hi dave...what was this pub called.....i will ask our dad if he has ever drunk in the millers arms when i go to see him on sunday...

lyn

Last edited:
its ok dave..i think it was the white hart pub....and now thanks to mike we have learnt something else...i feel another pic search coming on..its just a pity that pics of miller st are so scarce...ive looked though the pics taken of the trams in the st in the hope that maybe this pub might be in shot but no luck so far...

thank you mike...

lyn

Yes Lyn you are right it was on the corner of Bracebridge St and Aston Rd North just down Bracebridge St from the traffic lights was a motor bike showroom can anyone remember it when we were kids we used to stand outside and stare at all the beautiful bikes dreaming one day to own one never rode a bike in my life went straight to four wheels. Dek

Lyn,
That photo. was the White Hart...went in there once it was a cider house at the time,there were all these huge Irishmen drinking cider from crock mugs,and they still had sawdust on the floor,but it was still better than the joints with piped music and posh people drinking pop.
Could the motor showroom have been the Premier?.

hi dek..i only rememberd the name of it from a post made some time back...although my aunt and uncle lived in bracebridge st late 40s and into the 50s i cant personally recall it...our dad and me uncle would though lol...ive just added the millers arms to my ever growing list of pics to search for when i go to the central library....

lyn

Yes Lyn you are right it was on the corner of Bracebridge St and Aston Rd North just down Bracebridge St from the traffic lights was a motor bike showroom can anyone remember it when we were kids we used to stand outside and stare at all the beautiful bikes dreaming one day to own one never rode a bike in my life went straight to four wheels. Dek

Hi Dek,
Yes it was the White Hart but I'm sure you meant to write that the motorcycle shop was just down Aston Road from the traffic lights. It was Premium Motors and they were about halfway down Aston Road between Dartmouth Street and Hubert Street. Their main car showroom was on the opposite corner of Aston Road and Dartmouth Street across from the White Hart. I had my first (and only) Lambretta 150cc scooter from that shop.
Mike, apologies for not knowing about The Miller's Arms. That top end part of Miller Street I only remember houses (no public houses!!). Like Lyn, I would like to see a photo of that pub and that part of Miller Street but not as much as I would like to see photos of Bracebridge Street.

hi dave..i know how desperate you are for a good pic of bracebridge st and i plan to visit the arcives dept again next week so will do yet another search for you...dont give up...my avatar is proof that they are out there somewhere...

lyn

Just spotted the Miller St thread. My great grand parents lived at No5 Back of 60 Miller St in the 1881 census. They were Henry and Elizabeth Matthews plus 4 kids.
Now that I have joined the Miller St gang, may I have a badge please!!!

Graham.

hi graham..welcome to the thread...i am still searching for pics of the millers arms pub but so far no luck...

lyn

Hi everyone

Can anyone tell me who the street was named after, I have a great uncle that was involved in construction/archtecture in many parts of Birmingham around the turn of the century.
Details are some what sketchy but apprently he was very well known, his name was Edwin Mitchell Miller

Hi all , my wife and mother in law moved from Gosport Hants , and were eventually given a house in Miller Street newtown around 1965 ish , it was already a slum by then and in around 1969ish were given a house in Kingstanding.
Not sure what number the house was but it was right at the Newtown row end opposite side to the bus garage. My wife Lorrain went to William Cowper for a while before moving to Twickenham rd in Kingstanding.
My uncle Frank had a cafe in the area 1950's and wondered if anyone remembers it or has any pic's. My only knowledge is that it was close to, or on Miller st and possibly called "Frank's Cafe"

Regards Ian

Thanks Moss i remember that it was on the corner of New Town Row it stayed up a lot longer that most of the buildings round there. Dek

Thanks Mossg, i cant tell if this is the place my uncle had in the 50's ? but my wife remembers this place as Gary's where she used to get sent to buy bread and cobs in the late 60's , she remembered the little windows and reckoned the woodwork was a pale yellow colour.

Ian

Very interesting thread. A distant relative of my husband, Joseph Bode was an owner of the Millers Arms until his death in January 1911. If anyone has any photos or information, I would love it for my records. Note from the England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations):
Bode, Joseph of the "Millers' Arms" Miller street Birmingham, Beer retailer, died 16 January 1911 Probate Birmingham 10 February to James Bode cartridge case inspector. Effects L83 6s 2d.

Thanks, Jacquie

hello jacquie and welcome..if i do find any photos of the millers arms i will post them for you but no luck so far

lyn

Back