• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

miller street newtown.

• Thread starter Thread starter 500miles
  • Start date Start date

500miles

A couple who adopted my grandfather owned a grocery shop in Miller St, Aston. Must have been around the 1930's. They were called Charlotte and Alfred Potter. Does anyone know anything about the shop or them?

would anyone have any pics of miller street please. ive just found out that i had ancestors born there in the early 1900s. thank you. wales.

There were hundreds of photos taken in Miller Street in July 1953, wales, by enthusiasts as the last trams headed to and from the depot. Many will have the background buildings in, like this one with the Lloyds Bank and another with the crowds outside the depot and a corner of a house.

many thanks for those 2 Lloyd maybe i will get some more posted. i myself cant seem to locate any of the houses yet. cheers

What were the names of your ancestors, Wales? My grandfather was born at number 9 Miller St in 1901.

thank you alf. any pics of miller street are ok by me. 500 miles my gt grandfather henry harrington and his wife lived at 4 albert place miller st. they had 5 children. i have the birth cert for dau lucy harrington born 1914 the oldest of their kids was born in 1895 so may well have lived there then. think i will get the birth cert of the oldest child and see if they were at miller st in 1895. wales.

Hello all,
Just thought i would add my Miller Street link.My Great grandmother Rosina Millington was living at the back of 10 Miller Street at the time of the 1871 census,she was aged 7 at the time.
Maurice.

Here your are Lynn not may houses

Hi Wales (and Alf),
In case you are not aware (but I am sure Alf is), this picture is taken of Aston Brook (hidden by tram) from Aston Road looking from town. The tram is turning into the bottom end of Miller Street at a point where there were no houses. There is a bank on the l.h. corner and shops (you can see them) on the other side. I remember there was a telephone box (push button A & B) outside the bank just around the corner. The first building on the right of the picture was a doctors and a friend from St. Marys School, John Weare (who was a brilliant scholar), lived on the top floor with hiis mother and younger brother.

There were hundreds of photos taken in Miller Street in July 1953, wales, by enthusiasts as the last trams headed to and from the depot. Many will have the background buildings in, like this one with the Lloyds Bank and another with the crowds outside the depot and a corner of a house.

The 1st picture shows the entrance to the bank I mentioned when I responded to Alfs picture. It was taken from the direction of the shops seen in Alfs picture. The tram has just turned out of Aston Road. Top left is Hubert Street. The 2nd picture is right near the depot. The bus on the right is in Blews Street (or is it Elkington St??).

I love these photos - it looks so different from today.

My grandfathers name was George Nelson Ellis (also known later as Billingham) and although he was born at number 9, the home of a dressmaker named Annie Spencer, he was abandoned by his mother, Edith Ellis, shortly after birth and raised by neighbours - a couple called Potter at number 43. I have never been able to find out any more about his mother except she was a dressmaker and about 19 in 1901.

hi 500 miles. its difficult tracking back somtimes. im having problems with an ancestor at the moment. you may be able to find out where she was after 1901 when the new census comes out next year. wales.

My dad was born at 3 back of 201 Miller Street in 1899. I think it may have been near Aston Road, can anyone confirm how the numbers ran.

Sylvia
The numbers run a bit peculiarly,as you can see from 1904 kellys, mostly even to the north, odd to the south,but this seems different at the newtown end of the street. I've checked the census, though, and the enumerator did no 201 immediately before 202, so its reasonable to say its next door. In that case 201 seems to be at the newtown end, on the north side, as it progresses shefford rd/ bracebridge st then moorson st/elkington st then towards end no 202. In census, numbers ran to 209, so probably its a few houses from the end.

Mike

E-mail_miller_st_kellys1904_1.jpg

E-mail_miller_st_kellys1904_2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Mike,
Do you have access to something similar for Bracebridge Street (Aston Road to Miller Street) in the 1950s or 60s?

welcome to the miller st club sylvia seems to be quite a few of us have an interest in the street. lyn

Dave
Here are the Kellys for bracebridge street for 1950 and 1964. Hope you find what you're looking for. The area was built up in a very piecemeal way as can be seen from the map from 1890
Mike

miller_st_1890.jpg

E-mail_bracebridgest1950_1.jpg

E-mail_bracebridgest_1950_2.jpg

E-mail_bracebridgest1964_1.jpg

E-mail_bracebridgest1964_2.jpg

hi mike. thanks for the map. but looking at it it seems that there was not that many houses. wales.

hi all. ive just come accross this pic. taken in 1953 the four finalists in the coronation fancy dress. it would be great if someone recognised this. wales.

hi mike. thanks for the map. but looking at it it seems that there was not that many houses. wales.

Hi Wales,
In the 50s & 60s I remember houses right up to Elkington St on one side of Miller St between Bracebridge and Elkington also houses on both sides of Miller St from Bracebridge down to Aston Brook St. After Elkington St the tram (and later bus) depot and repair works took most of the space until near New Town Row where there were 10 -12 houses on either side I guess.

MikeJee thanks for the info. The names of the businesses in Bracebridge St brought back a lot of memories for me.

hi dave thanks for the info. does the previous pic i posted ring any bells with you. wales

Lyn
I agree with you, compared to the length of the road, but this was 1890, and presumably more were quickly built. I reckon there were roughly 60 houses then on Miller street itself, with another 20 or so in the back areas. But by the time of the census the number had increased, and then there were more. District 32 contained 97 houses recorded in the census in miller st and the back terraces etc associated with it. The enumeration list states that in this district nos 69-209, 2 -108 miller st are recorded . I would assume there were a few others in a different district as other nos are listed in the 1896 and 1904 Kellys. If so though it is not in district 29,30 or 31 of St Georges.

thanks mike. now im totally confused lol. i have an ancestor born at 4 albert place miller st. i wonder do you know if there is any way of finding out what end of the street it was. cheers lyn a map would be great

Lyn
I think that's relatively easy. If you look at the Kellys I showed previously for 1904 (its the same for 1896), on the north side it goes nos 1,5,31, ALBERT PLACE, 33, Shefford Rd,Bracebridge st, 49-73, Frederick Place, 75,77, Elkington St, Moorson St, Ashford St, .. Therefore Albert Place must be on north side of road, between Aston Road and Bracebridge St., certainly the Aston Road end
Mike

thanks for explaining it mike. i always think it nice to be able to place where the houses were if possable. lyn

I agree. Thats why I enjoy playing around with maps. Only wish the high resoluiton ones were available online for a reasonable price
Mike

Back