• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

IN OUR GARDEN 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've alway's liked the idea of foxgloves , but a word to the wise a month or so clearing up the borders and cutting back the hangover . I came across at least three what I thought were foxgloves they were growing in the wrong place so unfortunately they had to come out . So following the stem down I came to the bottom and after lifting the first I noticed it was growing on a tap root, which as all you gardeners know once that sort of root touches the soil it regenerates itself into another plant . After I'd got the three visible plants out I noticed there was a whole host of them . The reason I hadn't noticed them was these are under a rowan tree which is partnered by a cobnut tree and covered by a great big camelia bush . I looked online about the pretend foxglove and found this interesting name Rosebay Willowherb or technical name Chamaenerion Augustifolium . I hope this helps someone because left unchecked it will take over your garden .

I've seen dozens of them around my buddleia this year, together with other species.
Mike I moved a very sad buddleia about two years ago it was right up at the top of the garden very dark covered by trees etc . It resembled a stick with a dogs leg bend in it I moved it to a sunnier part of the garden and it's flourishing just cut it down every year to about a foot high and it will re grow , you must also remember to dead head the flowers to increse more flower production . It not only attracts the common cabbage white butterfly but I get red admirals and clown butterflies such a pleasant sight at this time of the year with the bees on the lavender .

I've broken off a stem of buddleia that was growing in a hedgerow, put it in water and it grew roots. I've planted it up, see how it gets on.
Good luck with it I hope it succeeds , there's nothing more satisfying as seeing a cutting grow , I did something similar witha fuschia cutting I purloined I mean it fell of the plant . I took some of the leaves off a tad of rooting powder when we moved house 6 yrs ago it was about 4'high

I've broken off a stem of buddleia that was growing in a hedgerow, put it in water and it grew roots. I've planted it up, see how it gets on.

When we lived over on the West coast, I had two Buddleia in the garden. I cut branches off them, stuck them into the ground, and, more often than not, they grew. Ended up with too many Buddleia. :laughing:

This morning we have strong NW winds, making the temperature feel 8 deg. o_O, although it has stopped raining..

Steve.

my grass at times is a mass of buttercups red clover and daisies the bumbles love it. i am sure the daisies ly down and hide when i start the mower and pop back up when i finnish. the grass is not lawn seed it was a huge bag of meadow grass i put down when i rotavated it 13 years ago so any thing can grow ... no gardening today it's been poring down since last night:grinning:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back