• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

IN OUR GARDEN 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Near 100% humidity today street temp 26c and my garden (enclosed heat trap) hit 32c, that and the humidity hit my chest hard today but that said the garden has come on in leaps and bounds. To be honest I didn't think this summer would be good but cucumbers, toms, runner beans, chili and peppers have come on really well these last couple of weeks so there's hope for a good crop this year.

Didn't do much in the garden today apart from sweep the paths after yesterday's rain and tie up the clematis and one rose.
However, took some pics.
I don't know what the white flowered shrub is - it has prickly holly type leaves, white flowers at the moment but doesn't get berries (seem to recall that holly has male and female bushes but not sure).

The cat in the last one is not mine but we have looked after him a lot and he often keeps me company when I am in the garden. Trouble is I have to watch as he tends to play by jumping on my hands :D

Attachments

• holly type.jpg
    holly type.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 23
  • elderflower and choisia.jpg
    elderflower and choisia.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Garden and cat.jpg
    Garden and cat.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 23
Nice pics Jan. That first pic of the shrub has a lovely daisy type flower on. The cat looks very at home on your lawn, can't say I blame him! Must be great being a cat and getting to sit in a nice garden without doing any of the work!!!!!!!

When I was growing up if my Dad bought my Mom flowers he sometimes bought some for me. They were always anemones which I loved. Earlier this year I saw some anemones to grow (are they corms?)
I had spotted their leaves but the first one flowered today.

Attachments

• anemone.jpg
    anemone.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 13
  • anemone and fuschia.jpg
    anemone and fuschia.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 13
We are enjoying some lovely weather - at long last. The bedding is coming along nicely, and starting to flower. All well behind you folks down South though.

I have been feeding the birds, but we are only seeing House Sparrows and Starlings.

In the past, we had Robins, Blue Tits, Great Tits, Wagtails, etc., but not a one now.

That said, the sunsets have been superb of late.

Steve.

Steve.

Like Steve, only see Sparrows and Blackbirds with occasional starling but no Tits. Usual pigeons and three grey squirrels come for a feed. One sparrow this morning on the fat ball for about ten minutes, thought it was never going

Here in s/east Durham we have a abundance of birds, Blue & Great tits, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Sparrows, Dunnocks, Pigeons, Doves, greedy Starlings, & we had a Bullfinch pay a brief visit {first time i`ve ever seen one } Cherry trees are very poor this year & one of my apple trees seems to have lost the will to live. Haven`t been in the garden much past couple of months having fallen off a ladder & breaking a few ribs & other things, so, old people should not be up ladders !!

old people should not be up ladders !!
My son chopped up my ladder to stop me using it!!
I would not let my son (Age 42) up a ladder he's not safe.
His dad only aged 71 and understands ladders.
There is a technical explanation. The safe height to go up a ladder is inversely proportional to age.
When I was younger, I would happily shin up to the guttering, then along another ladder laid on the roof to put up a TV aerial on the chimney. Now, with a good few years more under my (expanding) belt, I get nervous going up a normal domestic step ladder to reach the top of the curtain rail. Unfortunately, Julie is the same age, (within a day), so I can't send her up any higher. Getting stuff out of the top of the kitchen cupboard is now becoming a challenge.

Andrew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back