• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

IN OUR GARDEN 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have been strimming the weeds all weekend. what a great invention the strimmer/brushcutter is:grinning:

Don't pick/cut Stinging Nettles when in Flower
'At the first sign of flowers you must stop picking. The plant will now start producing cystoliths - microscopic rods of calium carbonate - which can be absorbed by the body where they will mechanically interfere with kidney function.

Last edited:
i have been strimming the weds all weekend. what a great invention the strimmer/brushcutter is:grinning:

'At the first sign of flowers you must stop picking. The plant will now start producing cystoliths - microscopic rods of calium carbonate - which can be absorbed by the body where they will mechanically interfere with kidney function.
I remember using a Scythe at my uncles farm as a 11/12 year old. Oh what I would have done for a weed whacker! Over the years they have gotten better and better, from electric to gasoline and gas powered. Good for you Pete, I could not do too much of that anymore too much arthritis in my fingers!

[/QUOTE]
Interesting point about the cystoliths, thanks.

Casnnot see any reason I would want to pick stinging nettles at any time
Making stinging nettle tea is a very easy business. You will need about one cup of nettle leaves for every two cups of water. Simply add the nettle leaves to the water and bring to the boil. The tea can be made stronger or weaker by adding more, or less, water.1685943987722.png:grinning:

I did eat some nettles the other day, they were mixed in with some pasta. I also had some woodland sorrel in a sauce with sea bass. Wild garlic seeds are also quite nice, but they do pack a punch.

i never eat nettles but have eat dandelions:)
a list of what you can chomp from the garden

The list of weeds you can eat is far longer than one might imagine, see below for a taster of some surprisingly delicious ones.

1. Horseradish​

Horseradish plants produce a wonderfully strong root that is grated to make horseradish sauce – the perfect accompaniment to roast beef. Remember, the fresher the root, the hotter your sauce will be.

2. Stinging nettles​

Everyone has memories of this hurtful weed stinging them below the knee as a child, but revisit the positive attributes of the nettle by making a delicious soup with the leaves in much the same way as one would a spinach soup. Like spinach, it also offers up tonnes of iron.

3. Nasturtium​

Often not considered a weed, these beautiful flowers are edible in its entirety and make a lovely spicy addition to salads with the real wow factor.

4. Chickweed​

Chickweed is a small edible weed, which produces white, star-shaped flowers found most often in lawns. It tastes a bit like spinach and therefore can be used in salads, sandwiches or soups plus is packed with nutrients such as magnesium and potassium.

5. Purslane​

Packed with omega-3, purslane has smooth, oar-shaped leaves. It tastes mild and lemony so is great with seafood or Asian food.

6. Lamb’s quarters​

This plant sometimes looks dusty as it has a white powdery residue on the leaves, which makes it easy to recognise. Often referred to as wild spinach lamb’s quarters contain oxalic acid which we mustn’t eat much of so it’s suggested you cook it before eating which removes it. Great mixed with ricotta in ravioli or used as you might chard or kale.

7. Sheep’s sorrel​

Recognised by its green arrowhead-shaped leaves, sorrel also has oxalic acid so follow the above advice for its removal, but this plant has a slightly sour taste so is great alongside fattier meats such as lamb and pork.

8. Duckweed​

Worthy of a mention, this aquatic perennial is found on top of ponds and is very high in protein so, when dried, makes a vegan-friendly powder called Lenten. With a 68% protein level, this new environmentally-friendly food source offers huge potential as an edible annual weed.

9. Dandelion and burdock​

These are both perennial weeds that you can find all year round. Be cautious that you have the right weed however as burdock can appear similar to some more dangerous weeds. To be on the safe side always forage when flowering. These weeds can be used to make the famous drink you may have heard of called dandelion and burdock root. This drink is a great source of vitamins and has been known to be a tasty alternative to beer.
It’s time to re-evaluate the dreaded weeds as valuable foods that have the ability to provide us with fantastic nutrients. Don’t overlook these edible vegetables, especially as they are so easily grown and foraged on our doorsteps.
So next time your heart sinks at the thought of a big weeding job, think twice about what you’re taking out of the ground and consider whether it deserves a place on your table.

adverts removed

Last edited:
I found it somewhat amusing, but also an indication of the uselessness and annoying nature of advertisments that accompanying the lin k above I received adverts for Roundup and Weedol weedkillers

I did eat some nettles the other day, they were mixed in with some pasta. I also had some woodland sorrel in a sauce with sea bass. Wild garlic seeds are also quite nice, but they do pack a punch.
Not sure about the nettles, but the rest sounds great! I would have substituted Romain or another green leaf.

i never eat nettels but have eat dandelions:)
a list of what you can chomp from the garden

The list of weeds you can eat is far longer than one might imagine, see below for a taster of some surprisingly delicious ones.

1. Horseradish​

Horseradish plants produce a wonderfully strong root that is grated to make horseradish sauce – the perfect accompaniment to roast beef. Remember, the fresher the root, the hotter your sauce will be.

2. Stinging nettles​

Everyone has memories of this hurtful weed stinging them below the knee as a child, but revisit the positive attributes of the nettle by making a delicious soup with the leaves in much the same way as one would a spinach soup. Like spinach, it also offers up tonnes of iron.

3. Nasturtium​

Often not considered a weed, these beautiful flowers are edible in its entirety and make a lovely spicy addition to salads with the real wow factor.

4. Chickweed​

Chickweed is a small edible weed, which produces white, star-shaped flowers found most often in lawns. It tastes a bit like spinach and therefore can be used in salads, sandwiches or soups plus is packed with nutrients such as magnesium and potassium.

5. Purslane​

Packed with omega-3, purslane has smooth, oar-shaped leaves. It tastes mild and lemony so is great with seafood or Asian food.

6. Lamb’s quarters​

This plant sometimes looks dusty as it has a white powdery residue on the leaves, which makes it easy to recognise. Often referred to as wild spinach lamb’s quarters contain oxalic acid which we mustn’t eat much of so it’s suggested you cook it before eating which removes it. Great mixed with ricotta in ravioli or used as you might chard or kale.

7. Sheep’s sorrel​

Recognised by its green arrowhead-shaped leaves, sorrel also has oxalic acid so follow the above advice for its removal, but this plant has a slightly sour taste so is great alongside fattier meats such as lamb and pork.

8. Duckweed​

Worthy of a mention, this aquatic perennial is found on top of ponds and is very high in protein so, when dried, makes a vegan-friendly powder called Lenten. With a 68% protein level, this new environmentally-friendly food source offers huge potential as an edible annual weed.

9. Dandelion and burdock​

These are both perennial weeds that you can find all year round. Be cautious that you have the right weed however as burdock can appear similar to some more dangerous weeds. To be on the safe side always forage when flowering. These weeds can be used to make the famous drink you may have heard of called dandelion and burdock root. This drink is a great source of vitamins and has been known to be a tasty alternative to beer.
It’s time to re-evaluate the dreaded weeds as valuable foods that have the ability to provide us with fantastic nutrients. Don’t overlook these edible vegetables, especially as they are so easily grown and foraged on our doorsteps.
So next time your heart sinks at the thought of a big weeding job, think twice about what you’re taking out of the ground and consider whether it deserves a place on your table.

adverts removed
I'll take 1 & 9 forget the rest :)

This appeared outside the house yesterday. We have a lot of lizards about, several are pregnant, but they are normally smaller and browner. This one is about 300mm long.
lizzie1.jpeg
This is a bit fuzzy because it was taken through a window with a fly mesh down. Julie has been doing some titivating in one of the borders this morning, and it has been jumping in and out nearby, 'now you see me, now you don't'.

The butterfly is a Southern White Admiral. Not that common up there, but we have a lot down here at the moment. They just fly round us as we walk past the flower beds, then go back to what they were doing.
SW Admiral.jpeg

This is a Lily candidum (Madonna lily). Just outside the front window. It puts up long stalks every year, then the flowers open within a couple of days. They last about a week, depending on weather conditions, then the whole flower and stalk collapse and it goes dormant till the next year.
Lily candidum (Madonna lily).jpeg Madonna lily 2.jpeg

We have had a few storms with warm conditions lately, and everything is taking advantage. Had to give the ride-on a bit of exercise this morning. Strimmer later to tidy the edges and corners.

Andrew.

Took these two on Sunday when it was nice and sunny not dull like today.
Clematis has other buds ready to open but only the one flower so far. The ornamental black leaved elderflower is covered in pink blossom but so tall it is hard to get a photo plus sun wasn't in the right place. This is a bit hazy as taken through the kitchen window on an angle.

Attachments

• clematis.jpg
    clematis.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 11
  • elderflower.jpg
    elderflower.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back