• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

IN OUR GARDEN 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Done well there Steve. Wish i had the strength to do that. Like your wooden structures holding the plastic containers

We buy them from a local visitor centre, where they help special needs folks, who make the planter holders under supervision.

Steve.

A story in the press today saying that those bird feeders left uncleaned and the droppings from them are spreading parasites that kill the birds.

Thought I would share this. Sort of garden related. Went into our local small town this morning, and because it is market day, we parked in a little area on the outskirts, which is just a cleared area in the vegetation. Saw this beehive in one corner, haven't seen it before. The local council have dropped in a concrete base, and put the single hive up. I don't know yet who is responsible for collecting the honey.

beehive1.jpegbehive2.jpeg

Lots of bees around the top of the 'chimney'. They left us alone while we had a look.

Andrew.

Thought I would share this. Sort of garden related. Went into our local small town this morning, and because it is market day, we parked in a little area on the outskirts, which is just a cleared area in the vegetation. Saw this beehive in one corner, haven't seen it before. The local council have dropped in a concrete base, and put the single hive up. I don't know yet who is responsible for collecting the honey.

View attachment 180650View attachment 180651

Lots of bees around the top of the 'chimney'. They left us alone while we had a look.

Andrew.
Interesting hive. I have never seen one with a chimney style entrance before.

It is interesting how the honeycomb slides are retained. They won't slide out through the' front' door, but if you look on the left and right side, there are bolts there, which would allow the side doors to open. Even like this, it would be difficult to remove the slides, so on thinking about it, perhaps it is intended as a wild hive, for the bees to use as they wish without any honey collection. The town employs a young lady to drive around on a small tractor tending to the considerable amount of hedging and other planting the council is responsible for, which is a full time job. I doubt that she would be impressed by a request to stick her hand into a beehive to collect honey as part of her task list. I think it is an educational project, with the doors provided for those brave enough to have a look inside.
Andrew.

I'm decidedly edgy about bees.

Looked out the bedroom window yesterday about 3.00pm and realised what a swarm of bees meant! Hundreds [thousands?] of them flying up and down the road, from side to side and up to the height of the houses. After a while they all settled in a neighbors tree. Half an hour later they had took off, although a few hung around for an hour or so.

Interesting to watch reaction of pedestrians. Most turned back, some sprinted through and two cyclists took off like rockets. I kept away from them, indoors.

A few years ago we had a swarm settling in the apple tree, we contacted some local beekeepers and someone came and collected it safely in a skep. i'm allergic to bee and wasp stings so I watched from a safe distance.

The fox cubs are growing quickly and have started to hunt, a wood pigeon was a bit too trusting, I won't go into detail! I know it's nature but it was a shock to see the bundles of fluff turning into hunters. They don't come around so much in the day now because of neighbours in the garden in the fine weather.
rosie.

my lupins are starting to bloom and i can just see 1 sweet pea coming out..

lyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back