• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Graham Webb

I've never had a reply from the Lord Mayors office, must re send the info.

Nice to see Graham seems they appreciate all your efforts over there but what about Brum .....thanks Mike will email Lord mayor now lol

Hi all,

Today I received the good news that I have been voted into British Cycling's first 'HALL OF FAME' and that I'll be invited to the Federations 50th anniversary Gala Dinner in Manchester on the 20th of February 2010. https://new.britishcycling.org.uk/s...0th-Anniversary-Gala-Dinner---Annual-Awards-0

I would like to thank all of you that voted for me, and depending on what travel arrangements BC make for me, I might be able to get to Brum and meet up again with some BH forum members.

Graham.

I am so pleased for you Graham and as Mike says you deserve it.......brilliant news.

This is the very best news the best news Graham. After so long and you really deserve this. Congratulations to you. The Gala Dinner is something for you to look forward to. I am sure it will be a great evening. All the very best Graham.

Graham my friend that's brilliant new and very well deserved, remember the saying "Everything comes to he who waits" well you sure waited long enough so Congratulations and enjoy.... :)

Hi all,

Today I received the good news that I have been voted into British Cycling's first 'HALL OF FAME' and that I'll be invited to the Federations 50th anniversary Gala Dinner in Manchester on the 20th of February 2010. https://new.britishcycling.org.uk/s...0th-Anniversary-Gala-Dinner---Annual-Awards-0

I would like to thank all of you that voted for me, and depending on what travel arrangements BC make for me, I might be able to get to Brum and meet up again with some BH forum members.

Graham.

No more than you deserve GRAHAM it should be some night, keep us posted mate

OK, as promised the voting results for British Cycling's first 'Hall of Fame'. https://new.britishcycling.org.uk/sport/article/bc20091216-Hall-of-fame-fifty The list is in alpfabetical order and at the bottom of the list there is a link to the 1st part of my whole story.

The British Cycling Hall of Fame

Pat Adams
Caroline Alexander
Brian Annable
David Baker
Sid Barras
Stuart Benstead
Chris Boardman MBE
Bill Bradley
Beryl Burton OBE
Keith Butler
Arthur Campbell MBE
Brian Cossavella
Doug Dailey MBE
Tony Doyle MBE
Ian Emmerson OBE
Malcolm Elliott
Benny Foster OBE
Tim Gould
Eileen Gray CBE
Dave Hemsley
Barry Hoban
Dale Holmes
Mandy Jones
Peter Keen OBE
Peter King CBE
Stan Kite
Phil Liggett MBE
Craig Maclean
Paul Manning MBE
John & Doreen Mallinson
Yvonne McGregor MBE
Gerry McDaid
Jason McRoy
Chas Messenger
George Millar
Robert Millar
Graeme Obree
Hugh Porter MBE
Jason Queally MBE
John Rawnsley
Brian Robinson
Alan Rushton
Tom Simpson
Eddie Soens
Colin Sturgess
Dot Tilbury MBE
Graham Webb
Les West
Sean Yates
Tony Yorke OBE​

Why not read our specially commissioned Graham Webb Interview written to mark this important announcement?

Thanks for looking and thanks again to all those that voted for me, Graham.

Why not read our specially commissioned Graham Webb Interview written to mark this important announcement?

I got a 404 page not found when I tried it. Anyway, congratulations and all the best Graham.

Terry

Thanks Chris and Terry.

Terry I know about the broken link I'll try and post a good link here; https://new.britishcycling.org.uk/road/article/roa20091216-Graham-Webb-Interview-1 Hope that this now works so that you can read part one of my interview. The list of inducted is here; https://new.britishcycling.org.uk/sport/article/bc20091216-Hall-of-fame-fifty And the Pez Cycling News interview is here; https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=7807&status=True&catname=Latest News

Just had a call from Dave Marsh at Maltby that my Salford Park 1966 British hour record bike has been restored, all it needs now is a good home in a museum. Will try and post a photo.

Graham.

I've only just Court up with this thread.
Graham, no one deserves this accolade as much as you do, well done mate I'm so pleased for you

Hi Fred,

When I stopped racing I didn't touch a bike for some 14 years, then I started going to work on this bike. This lasted for about 10 years then it hung in my garage until 5 years ago when Dave Marsh offered to restore my bike to it's 1966 state, Dave is Britain's best bike builder and restorer. In 1980 I sprayed my MGB in Tartan Red and while my spray gun was loaded sprayed this bike red too! It was originally orange & blue, my favourite colours in the 1960's, same colours as my bedroom at Leamington Road, Sparkbrook. It is now back in those colours. Here you can just see the bike in 1967.

And here is the restored frame today waiting for it's decals.

Here is a (bad) photo of my 10 mile, 25 mile and 1 hour British record breaking ride at Salford Park, Birmingham on Monday evening the 11th July 1966 on this orange & blue Tommy Godwin, of Silver Street, bike. I had been at work all day!

quite right Alf now what about Birmingham recognizing a Birmingham lads acheivements
Great News Graham ..it's taken long enough..but I do think as Tom said it is about time Brum recognised one of their own .The walk of stars on Broad Street don't mean a thing when you get people like Gary Newbon...(Whats he ever done for Brum)..Noddy Holder..(born in Walsall )..Julie Walters does deserve to be there even though she was born in Smethwick..the only true Brummies I see on there are Ozzy and Murray Walker...I do think its about time forum members made their voice heard

Graham,
i do remember that bike with a fixed wheel and no brakes, you had another one didn't you the one that you would over take me in my car going to work you would be out training before you went to work. and which one were you done for speeding on for over taking Police cars.

Graham,
i do remember that bike with a fixed wheel and no brakes, you had another one didn't you the one that you would over take me in my car going to work you would be out training before you went to work. and which one were you done for speeding on for over taking Police cars.
now thats one for the record books lol

Ha Fred!

You remember things that I'd long forgotten. When I stopped racing and started an honest life here in Belgium I used that fixed wheel bike to go to work on and rode home behind the gaffers moped. He could get 40 mph (60 kph) out of the thing and when I was warmed up I'd overtake him and with a pat on his back I'd say "see you tomorrow?", I can still see the look on his face, lol. I've been pulled over here for overtaking police cars and even been 'zapped' with a speed gun.

Graham,
this doing more than the speed limit it just goes on you were very fast as i know i have been out cycling with you and i had no one to talk to you had gone, which bike did you rap round a tree out Earlswood way it was so bad it was U shaped.

Fred you do make me laugh and not only with your funny emails.

Since those early days at Earlswood I've added many a 'U' shaped bike to my collection. That first one was my Hercules.
icon10.gif

Great bit of reading Graham and great footage you say you won by three seconds i reckon 4 or five congratulations you deserve it

Mossy

Back