• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Graham Webb

Today I had a visit from author & journalist, Chris Sidwells, he flew over for the day to photograph and interview me for 'Cycling Weekly'.

Hi all, I've just had a message that my interview in 'Cycling Weekly' came out yesterday and is in the shops, there are several photos.

Graham.

Good to see you Graham in the Cyling Weekly...or the 'Comic' as we so called it then....how well I remember your epics...I was in the Bournville CC at the time you were in the Solihull.....then I went in later years to Saracen....(our 60th anniversay meet up Sunday 22nd Nov) and now felt the urge to have another go again after 32 years ....at my silly age...but now in Bognor Regis CC....great enjoyable times again....

Mike, it's nice to know that someone from the forum actually read the interview.
icon10.gif

If you take it up again after all these years please take it easy as I know from experience that we still have the brain of a racing cyclist but the body of an OAP!
icon10.gif

Take care, Graham.

Mike, interesting to see that you were in the Saracen, I had some friends in that club and you might like to see this 1963 result sheet from the Beacon 100 kms Mountain Time Trial. There are three names on it of Saracen riders, Lloyd, Pain & Quinton; do/did you know them? https://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/open_races/lmtt/archive/1963.html

Also you can read my story of that 1963 event and I'm still the course record holder! https://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/open_races/lmtt/archive/gpw1963_article.html

Graham.

Last edited:
Oh yes Graham...those names mean so much, I was at one of my resting times in the Bournville then, but Mick Pain and I had competed against each other many times and later we did 2up time trials together,sadly Mick no longer with us.......Tony Quinton and I were at Cadburys together,Alan Lloyd I recall so well..what about some of those other names on that sheet so well known to us, Hugh Porter...Mick Ives, too many to go mention in detail but it's like a who's who isn't it??? and others of the time not on that list were Derek Harrison who also turned Pro....and went off to Troyes......happy days!!!

Mike, Roy Cromack went on to become the first person in the world to ride 500 miles in 24 hours, 507 miles in 1969, Hugh Porter, he now does all the sport commentry for the BBC with his wife swim queen Anita Lonsbrough, went on to win 4 professinal world pursuit titles, Mick Ives is still racing and has the longest record of racing year in year out of anyone on this earth.

Last edited:
Graham, I've tried to get 'Your Cycling Mag' here in NZ but I can't find anyone who stocks it it... I certainly would have read it and even posted a page on here.... sorry...! :-(

Chris/Pom

Don't worry Chris I haven't recieved my copy yet and when I do I'll post it on here. Thanks for trying, Graham.

Thanks to you both
icon14.gif

Frothy I've signed up for your very good petition & cause, Graham.

I tried to sign but got a note back saying they know no-one by the name of Cadeau ;)

All the best Graham

Graham do you know if they track users as I have a few email addresses and names I could try?

Hi Graham,

I had never heard of you until I joined this forum, started to read your story and could not stop till I finished it.

I am 50 in a months time so was only small when you were breaking records but even so if Birmingham had been as proud of you as it should have been your name should have been familiar to me long before I read about you here.

My vote has been sent, and good luck !!

John

I sent off a while ago to the one show about OUR GRAHAM ..apart from an automated message no reply ...I think his story is more than just a story of a champion he deserves MORE recognition for his personal achievements and so may I suggest that we inundate the one show with Emails about Graham after all it is a Birmingham program and Adrian Chiles is a Brummie albeit an Albion fan

Graham do you know if they track users as I have a few email addresses and names I could try?

Bernie sorry for any delay but I've been busy on my old MG, the clutch was playing up so had to get the engine out and replace it.

I don't know if they do track users. I don't have high hopes of finishing high up the list as most PC users are of a younger generation and many of them were not born in my racing days. It seems that British Cycling (the governing body) has only just woken up to what I did in the 60's now that they are pumping millions of Lotto money into trying to get a road racing medal; without success.

Once again thank you all for the kind messages.

Graham.

I sent off a while ago to the one show about OUR GRAHAM ..apart from an automated message no reply ...I think his story is more than just a story of a champion he deserves MORE recognition for his personal achievements and so may I suggest that we inundate the one show with Emails about Graham after all it is a Birmingham program and Adrian Chiles is a Brummie albeit an Albion fan

I agree with everything you say but Adrian is as much a Brummie as a Paisley Buddy a Weegie.

So I finally got my copy of 'Cycling Weekly' today and a scan for all those that haven't seen it yet.

Fair Play Tom C'mon Forum Members lets do it ..Graham Is a TRUE Brummie and it would be great if we all pull together and support him

Do we really care where Adrian was born ..the subject here is OUR GRAHAM..why do we have people such has Gary Newbon on there.. (not even a true Brummie)..Graham was born and bred in Brum..and it's about time we supported him..As said before Tom did get in touch with the one show(no results)..its about time our forum members took a stand..we want true Brummies on that walk off fame in Broad St

On Saturday I had the man from British Cycling come over to interview me he spent nearly 5 hours recording and writing, I was shattered, cycling is much easier! Only took them 42 years to send someone.

The Lord Mayor and 1st alderman of the town where I live have seen my November 2009 coverage in Cycling Weekly and are going to see what kind of inauguration they can arrange for putting their town on the world map!

Things seem to be happening Graham. I wonder if they read our forum........lol. Well about time too I say!!

Back