• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Do you still have a local?

Nice photo Dave Dad used to always sit in that first window on the left front:)

I think you could see the door from there Mossy to see who was coming in:)
He always sat so he could see the door where ever he was I think it was to see if Mom was ready to surprise him when he was late she had done it before

Last edited:
John,

I've used most of the pubs on your list. My husband was in the resident band at the St. Bernard's Grange. And when I was a kid, I used to take dad's bet to the bookie who was based outside the Bernard's.

Ann

My 'local' if that be the nearest public house to my humble abode is the 'Tennis Courts' on Walsall Road. It is so far removed from my perception of what constitutes a pub as to be totally undeserving of the title !!

Yes, it serves beer but thats about the only thing whereby it could be described as a pub. Pool tables - kids - large screens showing football. No character to it whatsoever, its the last place I'd consider attempting to relax in - I would honestly rather sit in the bus shelter further down the road. We have to remember that society has changed beyond all recognition, certainly since i was young - we all yearn for the old days, no one more than I, but you know what ? THEY 'AINT COMING BACK !!!!

I think the problem lies in the fact that peoples expectations nowadays are totally unrealistic. We live in a consumer society where everything seems so superficial and transient - kids grow up bombarded by media representations of what is 'the thing' - people are living in a 'Hello' magazine fantasy with 'celebrities' ( god how i hate that word ! ) the new role models, and youth has progressively bought into the lie.

I know I'm on a rant here which is rapidly going off topic but it is connected really.

The local we are bemoaning the demise of was an integral part of a society which has, to all intents and purposes, vanished. A good old ordinary, working class, society with roots. A nuclear family who ate together, talked together and pulled together - who's expectations were on a level with their income. The only PC the kids knew about was the one who would give them a clip round the ear if they stepped out of line. I could go on forever on this theme but you all KNOW what I'm saying and so back to the original theme - No, the local as we once knew it is taking a last gasp before it flatlines - much like the generation(s) who knew and loved it. When I look at the world today I cant help feeling glad that I'm far nearer the end than the beginning. Anyway, I'm off now to make a cup of tea and a Prozac sandwich !!!

The Towers ????? !!!! well its a step up from the 'Courts' thats for sure !!!

The Old Irish Harp way down the Chester Road is nice, but a long way to go for a quiet pint. And of course its not 'local'

Sad News The Tennis Courts was nice in my youth I'll keep the memories:)

I've been past the Irish Harp hundreds of times but never been in, bit far to go for a pint though!

Closer to home, The Hamstead has always been a good pub, as has The Red Admiral, although I understand they're loooking for people to take it on at the moment. The Scotts isn't so bad now that's over 21's only.

Hi Jennyann, I don't know if you know the Hare and Hounds closed yesterday. There are rumours that it's going to be a care home. I will miss our local, it's the Village Green from now on.

The only way to have a quiet enjoyable pint in my local would be if you were deaf and took some decent beer with you. Casual dress in there includes stab vest, gumshield and steel toecap boots. The locals are not too friendly.
Which pub it this? By the sound of it you are not too far from the Lamp Tavern in Barford Street ... nice little boozer with good ale.

I don't know if anyone on the forum is local to the Red Lion at Shirley. I have to admit that I thought it looked awful from the outside but on venturing inside I found a comfortable interior with a congenial atmosphere and a friendly publican pulling pints of real ale - just goes to show you can't judge a book by its cover. Mind you, I do have to say that there are very few pubs in Brum's suburbs that I would patronise. When I'm in the southern suburbs I often wonder where people can drink now that most of the giant houses erected in the inter-war years have closed or vanished. On the plus side there are some excellent pubs in the central areas and new apartments have sprung up here and there making them 'locals' pubs once more.

well i think its hard enough to find a pub open these days let alone a local one...guess it depends on what is deemed as local...mine is a pub no further than a 5 min walk:D of course back in the day that would have no problem..

lyn

I live by the covered waggon, but don't use it as my local. It has a food hygiene rating of two stars which is diabolical for an organisation like M&B to have.

I don't know if anyone on the forum is local to the Red Lion at Shirley. I have to admit that I thought it looked awful from the outside but on venturing inside I found a comfortable interior with a congenial atmosphere and a friendly publican pulling pints of real ale - just goes to show you can't judge a book by its cover. Mind you, I do have to say that there are very few pubs in Brum's suburbs that I would patronise. When I'm in the southern suburbs I often wonder where people can drink now that most of the giant houses erected in the inter-war years have closed or vanished. On the plus side there are some excellent pubs in the central areas and new apartments have sprung up here and there making them 'locals' pubs once more.
I believe the Red Lion recently shut...back years ago it was run by one of the Futrall brothers....a regulars local...but surprisingly never much trouble.

I believe the Red Lion recently shut...back years ago it was run by one of the Futrall brothers....a regulars local...but surprisingly never much trouble.

I don't think anyone would want to try causing trouble in a Fewtrell pub ;-)

I live by the covered waggon, but don't use it as my local. It has a food hygiene rating of two stars which is diabolical for an organisation like M&B to have.
Hi Morturn
If you mean the Covered Wagon on Yardley Wood road, I think it is privately owned.

Hi Morturn
If you mean the Covered Wagon on Yardley Wood road, I think it is privately owned.

Its was at the time, and I understand still is owned by Ember Inns, a brand name of M&B.

It now has a new management team, I assumes a licencee who has worked wonder for the place and improved it no end.

Its was at the time, and I understand still is owned by Ember Inns, a brand name of M&B.

It now has a new management team, I assumes a licencee who has worked wonder for the place and improved it no end.

Used it myself once for lunch a while ago, twas empty,food was ok,but choices were not very interesting...as with most chains,they have a good position,I lived that way thirty years ago.... should be a busy and popular pub.

well i think its hard enough to find a pub open these days let alone a local one...guess it depends on what is deemed as local...mine is a pub no further than a 5 min walk:D of course back in the day that would have no problem..

lyn

Indeed,if you meant Hockley there were some great choices....
...and yes,a short walk to me is your local ...

... further away you'd be a regular....not the same thing....I used to travel sixty miles on mountain roads in Spain to my favourite pub...I was a regular,but it was hardly my local....

....I'm sitting in a hotel in Bali....thinking of going to a Hockley pub when in Birmingham next week,on my way to Wales...a strange world we live in.

Back