• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

computer help

why can`t they invent a vpn that doesn`t discriminate against certain sites that you`re trying to access. Even trying to track a parcel requires one to disconnect from vpn. Very annoying. I use Nord vpn.

You can turn it around with a smile.:heart_eyes:

Not a computer problem but a mobile smart phone. My electric car I've been charging for free at the local Tesco since I got it, to do that I plug in then get on to the Pod-point app to 'confirm' , it's been fine for nearly a year but the last two times I haven't been able to connect, keep getting a 'No network' message.
Not knowing enough about smart phones I need to ask is it a setting on my phone or a new dead spot in locality?
Anyone know?

Not a computer problem but a mobile smart phone. My electric car I've been charging for free at the local Tesco since I got it, to do that I plug in then get on to the Pod-point app to 'confirm' , it's been fine for nearly a year but the last two times I haven't been able to connect, keep getting a 'No network' message.
Not knowing enough about smart phones I need to ask is it a setting on my phone or a new dead spot in locality?
Anyone know?
Could be the Podpoint network is having problems. Try asking in Tesco customers services if they are aware of any issues.
I use my local Tesco to charge my Leaf and as yet I have not had any difficulties.
From November, charging at Tescos using the Podpoint stations will no longer be free.

Could be the Podpoint network is having problems. Try asking in Tesco customers services if they are aware of any issues.
I use my local Tesco to charge my Leaf and as yet I have not had any difficulties.
From November, charging at Tescos using the Podpoint stations will no longer be free.
Who controls the cost of re charge electricity?

Is podpoint the only app you can use at Tesco? I had a home charger installed in April when i ordered my Mokka e but have now been told July next year is probably the earliest for delivery. Thanks to Covid & Putin.

Is podpoint the only app you can use at Tesco? I had a home charger installed in April when i ordered my Mokka e but have now been told July next year is probably the earliest for delivery. Thanks to Covid & Putin.
Yes. The Podpoint app is easy enough to download and register. Like most apps these days, when you have used it a few times, it remembers you, this saves you having to log-in with passwords etc. Whether the 15min free charge will continue after November I don't know.

Thanks for the replies, I don't think my problem is with Pod-point I couldn't get on any site from that location at the time.
Your mention that the free charging is to end is the first I've heard but if that happens I already have the Pod-point home charger installed, I'm waiting for the energy crisis to get sorted and to be able to get an off peak tariff for charging.
It's very convenient to charge free at Tesco while I do my weekly shopping though. ;)

why can`t they invent a vpn that doesn`t discriminate against certain sites that you`re trying to access. Even trying to track a parcel requires one to disconnect from vpn. Very annoying. I use Nord vpn.

You can turn it around with a smile.:heart_eyes:
It is usually the web site that you go to that doesn't want to connect to your VPN IP address. BBC does this a lot, I usually get connected to .com when I ask for .co.uk. My VPN provider allows me to choose where I want to appear to be, and if I choose UK, this still happens. Even when I choose France as my location, which is 'true', some French sites will not accept a connection until I turn it off. Also, my VPN provider allows me to block categories of sites if I wish, such as social media. I don't know if Nord VPN does this.
Some routers will handle the VPN bit, so all the family benefits. These will often allow a 'whitelist' to be set up in the router so that certain chosen sites will go direct, rather than through the VPN. This would alleviate your issue if you thought your hassle was worth the effort.
Andrew.

Thanks for the replies, I don't think my problem is with Pod-point I couldn't get on any site from that location at the time.
Your mention that the free charging is to end is the first I've heard but if that happens I already have the Pod-point home charger installed, I'm waiting for the energy crisis to get sorted and to be able to get an off peak tariff for charging.
It's very convenient to charge free at Tesco while I do my weekly shopping though. ;)
I have a Podpoint system fitted at home. I was fortunate that when I purchased my first Nissan Leaf 5+ years ago, Nissan were installing home chargers for free. I have not had any problems with it to date.

It is usually the web site that you go to that doesn't want to connect to your VPN IP address. BBC does this a lot, I usually get connected to .com when I ask for .co.uk. My VPN provider allows me to choose where I want to appear to be, and if I choose UK, this still happens. Even when I choose France as my location, which is 'true', some French sites will not accept a connection until I turn it off. Also, my VPN provider allows me to block categories of sites if I wish, such as social media. I don't know if Nord VPN does this.
Some routers will handle the VPN bit, so all the family benefits. These will often allow a 'whitelist' to be set up in the router so that certain chosen sites will go direct, rather than through the VPN. This would alleviate your issue if you thought your hassle was worth the effort.
Andrew.
Thanks mate, buy being a simple soul it`s easier for me to just disconnect vpn when necessary. Norton vpn is just as bad.

Update. I can't find any info on the proposed charges at Tesco sites, t is only a rumour at the moment.

I looked too and like you can't find anything. I know they have since the beginning charged for the 50Kwh fast charging.
The info was sent to me via another media site. I suppose the rumour came from the expert down the pub who's dad knew someone who drove an electric milk-float for the co-op.

now i know why its the default.

Mozilla and Google have a complicated relationship. While they may be competitors, they are also business partners. Each year Google pays Mozilla hundreds of millions of dollars in royalties—reports say that figure is currently in the range of $400 million per year—for its search engine to be set as the default in Firefox. In its 2020 financial results, the most recent available, Mozilla listed its total revenue as $496 million, with royalties from search deals equaling $441 million. Firefox has other default search engine partners, such as Yandex Search in Russia, and these royalties are also crucial. (Google also pays Apple huge sums each year to ensure it is the default search engine in Safari.)
I have been using “DuckDuckGo,” as my default on Firefox for many months now with no issues. Great combination with zero trackers.
I have moved away from Google. Only use it occasionally for Google Earth. Alf.C.

Google and me are old friends .... I first found them in 1998 and use the following
Google Search ... every day
Google Earth app ... weekly
Google Maps ... very useful last week walking in Manchester to find restaurant.
Chrome ... every day ... they even let me block ads !!
Gmail ... every day ... I auto forward it to iPhone or iPad which 'ding' to announce it's arrival.
Google Translation ... read foreign newpapers...

Most of us invariably click the 'Accept Cookies' buttons on visited websites ... I use a chrome extension which does it for me named 'I don't care about cookies'.
I do block 'javascript' on some websites.

I joined the Microsoft Insider group and can try out upcoming versions of Windows 11 ... only on my laptop ... occasional upsets ... soon sorted out.

On the rare occasions I want to be anonymous, an old Lenovo PC running Linux with Firefox, Bleachbit, and other obscure Linux apps does the trick.
:)

Last edited:
I suppose on our Windows PCs we all see something different when we start them. Years ago most forum members browsed using Internet Explorer but these days most of us use either Google's Chrome or Microsoft's Edge, a few using Firefox and very few using Duckduckgo.

I simply accept that some organisation is tracking me for advertising purposes ... the internet has to be paid for somehow ... it isn't free. Everytime we click an 'Accept Cookies' button a little script goes into our computers gathering info. Most sites don't work properly if cookies aren't accepted.

At the time of this post there are 80 robots viewing the forum ... see them ...some are even looking at member's profiles ... :rolleyes:

Stay safe ...:)

i dont mind people nosing at me profile. i do mind people nosing were i bin when i go out that private:)

i dont mind people nosing at me profile. i do mind people nosing were i bin when i go out that private:)
Too late for hiding our movements I'm afraid. We are tracked everywhere at all times of the day from the day we were born and 'Registered', then came your nation health number, national insurance number, driving licence, passport, utility bills, Vehicle registration numbers, credit/debit card transactions, loyalty cards etc. Whenever we visit a pub/restaurant we are recorded on the CCTV system. When we go to a garage to refuel, the ANPR records our visit. Our movements and transactions are recorded by numerous agencies. 'Single Algorithms' have monitored our movements for decades. Not happy with the information that was being made available about us, agencies now have 'Super Algorithms' to monitor the 'Single Algorithms'. It would be interesting if anyone knows where to go where we are not being monitored. There are programmes on Youtube about algorithms, don't watch them if you are of a nervous disposition.

Too late for hiding our movements I'm afraid. We are tracked everywhere at all times of the day from the day we were born and 'Registered', then came your nation health number, national insurance number, driving licence, passport, utility bills, Vehicle registration numbers, credit/debit card transactions, loyalty cards etc. Whenever we visit a pub/restaurant we are recorded on the CCTV system. When we go to a garage to refuel, the ANPR records our visit. Our movements and transactions are recorded by numerous agencies. 'Single Algorithms' have monitored our movements for decades. Not happy with the information that was being made available about us, agencies now have 'Super Algorithms' to monitor the 'Single Algorithms'. It would be interesting if anyone knows where to go where we are not being monitored. There are programmes on Youtube about algorithms, don't watch them if you are of a nervous disposition.
yes here in the mountains with no phone no pc just me, me dog and nature:grinning:

Back