• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

computer help

oldMohawk, my Epson would not run on non Epson ink. Tried a couple of times. Even called Epson and they said they detected a non Epson cartridge. I have a HP now and so far only running HP.
i am in the same boat as i posted above, its a bit over the top to me,if you buy a printer it should be up to you what make of ink you put in it, its like buying a car.and it will not run on joe bloggs petrol. or a electric car that will only run on edf electric.grr. rant over

i am in the same boat as i posted above, its a bit over the top to me,if you buy a printer it should be up to you what make of ink you put in it, its like buying a car.and it will not run on joe bloggs petrol. or a electric car that will only run on edf electric.grr. rant over
What really bothered me about the HP printer (which so far is working fine) is when I set it up to my Wi-Fi, after I put in the address it told me it already had my password!! I wonder why we bother :-(

What really bothered me about the HP printer (which so far is working fine) is when I set it up to my Wi-Fi, after I put in the address it told me it already had my password!! I wonder why we bother :-(
Also Hp load a lot of junk along with the software,i delete it afterwards.:grinning:

Thanks all ... :)

My Epson printer has finally realised I'm going use the batch of ink I've installed and stopped showing messages about not using their ink.

These days I only print text and documents so not too worried about some fading. With regard to images I tend to look at them on tablets and phones.

I have discovered however that Windows thinks I have two Epson printers even though I can only see one on the table next to me. One showed as a network printer and the other just as a printer. Using W11 settings I've removed one printer and things are now simpler.

My wife has a Epson ET2750 & the inks allegedly last for 3 years. Had it for 2 years now & still plenty ink left.

My wife has a Epson ET2750 & the inks allegedly last for 3 years. Had it for 2 years now & still plenty ink left.
A few years ago when I bought my Epson XP335 I considered it was about the right price printer for the small amount of printing I actually do but maybe an Epson Eco Tank printer is better if you can forget printer ink replacement for 3 years. Maybe with the small amount of printing I do it would have lasted 5 years.

A few years ago when I bought my Epson XP335 I considered it was about the right price printer for the small amount of printing I actually do but maybe an Epson Eco Tank printer is better if you can forget printer ink replacement for 3 years. Maybe with the small amount of printing I do it would have lasted 5 years.
just been looking at them great kit. but mega dosh just to be used once in a while.

Last edited:
I have two printers - an Epson XP335 which I bought some years ago and a Canon T5051 which someone gave me. The Epson needed new ink, which these days seems more expensive than high class perfume. I decided to try some lower priced 'compatible' ink which caused the printer to detect non-Epson cartridges and ask me whether I really wanted to continue. I did and printed some test pages which look fine to me.

Has anyone else used 'compatible' ink?
I've used Epson printers for years and always use compatible cartridges. Some years ago my son was doing his 'O' levels, daughter 'A' levels, I was doing a degree in Nursing and my wife was doing her Masters and we couldn't afford Epson prices lol. Current printer uses four cartridges which work out at around 40p each IIRC so for me its a no brainer to use them.

Here you go OldMohawk https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...1313&_nkw=epson+xp335+ink+cartridges&_sacat=0

All the old (daisy wheel) parallel port printers run for ever on a refill what went wrong? why the massive increase in ink costs?

Daisy Wheel was something I only ever heard of used in typewriters and, maybe, some early word processors. Once we got to PCs it was dot matrix printers. All of them used to use ribbons rather than ink tanks and you'd have to change ribbons fairly often depending on how much you used the printer. Then you got laser printers and ink-jet printers that used either large toner cartridges or small ink cartridges. If you used an inkjet, you got used to changing the cartridges regularly. Then the companies got to cutting the prices of the printers so that they could tie you to buying their own cartridges and the price of cartridges went up. Nowadays, so much is "paperless" so you don't use the printer so much you just keep some file on your computer.

For years I have only ever used Hewlet Packard printers, the last one cost £300 and over its life I had spent over £2000 on ink. (Work related use as well as private use.) almost three years ago I bought an Epson ecotank printer, it was supplied with two sets of ink. I have only recently started using the second set of ink After 34 months. They really are economical. It appears now that the printing paper is more expensive than the ink. Highly recommended Especially for high quality photo printing.

Daisy Wheel was something I only ever heard of used in typewriters and, maybe, some early word processors. Once we got to PCs it was dot matrix printers. All of them used to use ribbons rather than ink tanks and you'd have to change ribbons fairly often depending on how much you used the printer. Then you got laser printers and ink-jet printers that used either large toner cartridges or small ink cartridges. If you used an inkjet, you got used to changing the cartridges regularly. Then the companies got to cutting the prices of the printers so that they could tie you to buying their own cartridges and the price of cartridges went up. Nowadays, so much is "paperless" so you don't use the printer so much you just keep some file on your computer.
i was after a dot matrix.i print a lot of forms, then i saw the price of them now:(

My old friend here still uses a Brother typewriter with daisy wheels.
I used to use a dot matrix with continuous paper in my business, the paper sat on a shelf under the printer and was fed through a slot I cut in the table top, Still got that small table, :)

My old friend here still uses a Brother typewriter with daisy wheels.
I used to use a dot matrix with continuous paper in my business, the paper sat on a shelf under the printer and was fed through a slot I cut in the table top, Still got that small table, :)
:grinning:

Back in the late 1980 we used a pair of Diablo 630 Daisy Wheel printers for all the best quality print jobs in the company. A bit bulky for home use though.

I find black and white 'laser' printers best for home use. Most of my printing is text and unlike ink-based printers the toner doesn't dry up or require the printer to run head-cleaning cycles. For anyone doing mostly text, especially if it is infrequent usage a laser is best as the toner lasts 'for ever'. The laser is best for printing in volume too. I would leave photo printing to the shops, I have wasted far too much ink and photo paper on failed prints at home.

I also only use a laser printer, an HP that I use nonstandard replacement toner cartridges in. About 205 the cost of an HP replacement. I get a little nag popup when I print but is not a problem.

I leave the colour stuff to the big boys now.

I used to print photos but have not done so for at least five years. I use my phone or tablet to show photos to others in the family and transfer them if necessary. I seem to print mainly receipts and similar items these days.

Over the last two years I've used the 'screenshare' function on Zoom with others in the family. They can see exactly what I see on my screen and folders of photos and videos can be displayed and discussed. If they like a photo I can quickly send it to their devices. They can also do screen captures or snips.

If I have the BHF on screen they can see it in real time as I see it. We have spent many happy hours viewing the 'Old Street Pics' and 'City Centre Photos' etc. We look at old maps and Google Earth and just about anything.

I used to print photos but have not done so for at least five years. I use my phone or tablet to show photos to others in the family and transfer them if necessary. I seem to print mainly receipts and similar items these days.

Over the last two years I've used the 'screenshare' function on Zoom with others in the family. They can see exactly what I see on my screen and folders of photos and videos can be displayed and discussed. If they like a photo I can quickly send it to their devices. They can also do screen captures or snips.

If I have the BHF on screen they can see it in real time as I see it. We have spent many happy hours viewing the 'Old Street Pics' and 'City Centre Photos' etc. We look at old maps and Google Earth and just about anything.
I admire your ability to master the technology, I am also a little bit of a technology guru. However I realised some time ago that digital images are fine nowadays but what will we be leaving for our grandchildren and great grand children. It’s far better to leave them with a box of pictures that they will be able to view in 20,30, or 40 years time. What use will our treasured images be if they were stored on floppy discs or corrupted USB sticks. Hard drives fail, SSD‘s have questionable shelf lives. Images stored in the cloud can be hacked. A picture stored correctly will last 40 or 50 years. We have to be thankful for our grandparents foresight in leaving US pictures, where would BHF be without pictures Left by our grandparents.
Having spent all my working life in the photographic industry, I have worked with all formats, and realised that negatives and transparencies recording the important history of me and my family have an untold value, and should be preserved.
During lockdown I have been converting these valuable images to digital, but the originals are still stored safely.
Take a few minutes to consider the value of your images, and back them up by whatever means you can. Someone in the future will be internally grateful for your forethought for actions today.

Anyone used these type in there printer?
81REVtwNKQL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I find black and white 'laser' printers best for home use. Most of my printing is text and unlike ink-based printers the toner doesn't dry up or require the printer to run head-cleaning cycles. For anyone doing mostly text, especially if it is infrequent usage a laser is best as the toner lasts 'for ever'. The laser is best for printing in volume too. I would leave photo printing to the shops, I have wasted far too much ink and photo paper on failed prints at home.
After endless problems with dried up printing heads I got a Xerox mono laser printer/scanner and am well pleased with it, it also prints on both sides of the paper if required so more often than not it saves wasting paper

Anyone used these type in there printer?
81REVtwNKQL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I put the cartridges shown below in my low cost Epson XP-335 printer and they produce satisfactory prints.
Image1.jpg
but the printer detected that they were not Epson cartridges and put up quite a fight to prevent me using them. I eventually won by uninstalling and reinstalling the printer.

I generally only print a one or two document pages in a week so printing is not important to me.

I put the cartridges shown below in my low cost Epson XP-335 printer and they produce satisfactory prints.
View attachment 163678
but the printer detected that they were not Epson cartridges and put up quite a fight to prevent me using them. I eventually won by uninstalling and reinstalling the printer.

i try'd but no joy it still says they are clones.

Your printer appears to be an HP.
Google shows quite a few methods one of which is - :)
Here is a general procedure to override the incompatible cartridge warnings
Remove all of the cartridges from the printer.
Place the incompatible ink cartridge back in the printer.
Power off the printer and unplug its power cord from the wall-- wait 10-15 minutes.
Plug the power cord back in and power on the printer.
Insert the next incompatible ink cartridge, one at a time. Make sure to insert the incompatible ink cartridges, one at a time, first. The working ones can be saved for later.
Power off the printer for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Keep it plugged in.
If your printer uses more than two cartridges, repeat steps 5 and 6 until all of the ink cartridges are successfully installed.

I`ve downloaded the Kodi app onto my pc but it won`t load. I`m running windows 10 fully up-to-date. I can load Kodi on my laptop but on such a small screen 11 inch it`s hardly worthwhile watching. My laptop is running w11, could it be that Kodi won`t run on w10? TIA

If you type 'kodi and windows 11' in Google search you will see answers which suggest that it will run. I've been running W11 since July and have not found any app which will not run. I'm on Version 21H2 - build 22000.318 which is the official beta version.

As previously mentioned I installed lower price compatible cartridges in my Epson XP335 printer and after some fiddling got the printer working satisfactorily.

I decided to try lower price cartridges in my Canon TS5051 printer which uses 5 cartridges. I had read that Canon printers do not take kindly to compatible cartridges so prepared for much fiddling. I was surprised to find that the printer didn't even notice the non standard cartridges and started printing perfectly.

All good so far ... :)

I use an Epson 342, it’s getting on a bit now but still works well. I’ve used ‘copycat’ cartridges for some years, but recently it’s started playing up. It keeps rejecting the copycat cartridges and everything I try won’t solve it. So I’m back to using the expensive Epson ones again.

Of course this is what Epsom wants. Selling you a new printer is peanuts income to them, it’s the cartridges where they make the money. Hence why many printers seem cheap when you first buy one. Viv

I use an Epson 342, it’s getting on a bit now but still works well. I’ve used ‘copycat’ cartridges for some years, but recently it’s started playing up. It keeps rejecting the copycat cartridges and everything I try won’t solve it. So I’m back to using the expensive Epson ones again.

Of course this is what Epsom wants. Selling you a new printer is peanuts income to them, it’s the cartridges where they make the money. Hence why many printers seem cheap when you first buy one. Viv
yes thats correct the cartrige have just enough ink in them to print a test page and set it up,a right con. i have a printer on my other laptop it is NOT conected to the internet i have took the wifi chip out of it i use it a lot and the printer ink last a long time strange hey.

Back