• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre Photographs

Mike

I humbly beg forgiveness but its my spell checker, it just doesn't understand Bull Ring and automatically substitutes Bullring but I suppose thats technology for you.

Phil

Froth, you are right on the nose, well spotted! (notice the dragon connection as well - your Georges Day thread)

Phil , that's alright then, now I know it wasn't you. I'm keeping away from those newfangled spell checker gismos if that's what they get up to.

Mike

Smashing pics Pedrocut I assume they where taking from Stephensons Tower , THANK YOU I INJOYED THEM ......... Ragga ........

Hi Ragga,

They were actually taken from the BT Building in Station Street.

Regards Peter

The opening day of The Bullring Centre on the 29th of May 1964. I was somewhere among that crowd maybe not in range of this photo, but I was there somewhere, I remember those hawkers selling toys along the passage that led to the New St High St exit along the subway.

That was the entrance we used on the first day. They always had either hawkers selling some rubbish or somebody demonstrating something or other. Do you remember the one that had something to do with computer punch cards that was always breaking down.

Phil
Hello does anybody remember early 80s i think,when everybody got stuck in here,the police had to stand at each end to stop people going through until they let everybody out,several people passed out,and i think there were some minor injuries

Hi Elizabeth

I don't remember that occasion, but I do remember it used to get pretty crowded in that walkway. Where it emptied out into the subway to New St used to get pretty cramped as well especially when the escalator to New street used to break down.

Phil

CityNewStEscalator1979.jpg

Thats a good photo Phil if i remember that lift hardly ever worked , i can also remember Nelsons just to the left off photo there was a Newsagents on the corner to the right where you went if you wanted to get to High St can,t remember any other shops there must be people out there remember. Dek

My favourite view of St Phillips is from the walkway alongside the Bank of England and into the Square,
Bernard

Attachments

• City Colmore Row Birmingham Cathedral St Phillips.jpg
    City Colmore Row Birmingham Cathedral St Phillips.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:
A few more oldish Birmingham City Centre Photos (click to enlarge(…

Remember the Forward Statue which was destroyed by fire in April 2003. A £200,000 fibre-glass statue was known locally as the Lurpak sculpturebecause it looked as if it was made out of butter. It was sculpted by Birmingham-trained Raymond Mason and erected when the square was completed in 1991. It cost £250,000 to construct and depicted famous Brummies, including Joseph Chamberlain and University of Birmingham founder, Josiah Mason

https://www.panoramio.com/photo/37642296

https://www.panoramio.com/photo/37641839

And whatever happened to this chap, and who was he?

All the best Peter

And whatever happened to this chap, and who was he?
All the best Peter

He is now "in storage" (the whole fountain) at the Dollman Street Museum Stores. I took a picture of him a few weeks ago

More about the Museum stores here (they have an open day on August 22nd). Loads to see and do there.

https://www.bmag.org.uk/Museum-collections-centre

Note: Your first and third pictures posted above are the same, not sure if they are supposed to be.

Some amazing old pictures of the Birmingham Broad Street area.

I know I have promoted these pictures before, but this is such a huge site, and there are so many visitors, that I am sure many dont know about them.

During the mid 1980s and early 1990s the area around Broad Street was redeveloped to make way for the Convention Centre, Symphony Hall, National Indoor Arena, Brindlay Place, Hyatt Hotel etc.

I took a load of photoghraphs at the time and I have posted them all on this web site here (I have also posted a few "after" shots to show how it looks now)

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=29123

He is now "in storage" (the whole fountain) at the Dollman Street Museum Stores. I took a picture of him a few weeks ago

More about the Museum stores here (they have an open day on August 22nd). Loads to see and do there.

https://www.bmag.org.uk/Museum-collections-centre

Note: Your first and third pictures posted above are the same, not sure if they are supposed to be.

Hi guilbert53,

Thanks for the information, I will place the link under my photo on Panoramio. You are right there should be a further photo of the Forward Statue from another angle.

https://www.panoramio.com/photo/37641845

Thanks for the link to your photos, it is as you say a huge site, and easy to miss some great contributions in other related threads. Your photos make a interesting historic album, and now you can even compare with Google Street view.

As a matter of interest did you scan from your pictures or from the film. I recently bought a scanner for slides/film and have found the quality a good deal better than one from the ordinary picture scanner.

All the best Peter

Hi bobsummers,
I worked for Marshall & Snelgrove in the late 60s. What a glamorous store it was. The building looks very art deco on the photos, its still there isn't it?

Hi Marshall50, are you part of the family that owned this fantastic store, or is your name just a coinsidance? The building is still there with an Iconic frontage but I believe the business is long time gone. I do hope you liked the photos of the inside in previous post. If you have any photos of the store can you please post on this thread. My wife Maxine shopped there all the time it was open.

Thought these pictures (are they photos? Have they been posted before?) from The Illustrated London News, 2nd April 1887 obviously doing a "Birmingham Special" commemorating The Queens visit to Birmingham, would be of interest. The are from the NYPL collection.

Some are quite familiar, but I particularly liked the details of the buildings, pedestrians & vehicles in the Birmingham High Street, St Martin's and Bull Street, plus the Lewis's sign in the latter

* the luncheon-room at the Townhall
* High-Street (I can make out what looks to be a clock shop called Skinners at 87)

* Small Heath Park
* lodge and gate, Small Heath Park
* the Old Crown Inn, Deritend
* Heathfield House, the home of James Watt
* St Martins Church
* Bull-Street (showing Lewis's and Grenville's Hosiery Shirt Glove And Athletic Warehouse)

Attachments

• J7311884504[1].jpg
    J7311884504[1].jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 23
  • J7311884503[1].jpg
    J7311884503[1].jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 20
Is there any date whatsoever on the Villa Cross photo Ragga? Even just the year will do it I would imagine.

Nice to see this thread keep popping up - had a look through most of the photos again and one of my favourite photos on the forum is the top one in post #140. I like to look at the people in the photo and wonder what business they were about.
I would put a thumbnail on but can't pull someone else's attachment out of the database.

oldMohawk;366466I would put a thumbnail on but can't pull someone else's attachment out of the database.[/QUOTE said:
Right click on pic and press save as, give pic a name and location

Re: City Centre Photo Album

They've ruined Broad Street, taken all of its character and turned it into glass fronted Booze Central, half of the pubs are now boarded up and they're building those flash un affordable flats.... im glad they cleaned up the Canals, only good thing they did really....and i'm sorry but i hate the new Bullring too. I'm not going to mention the design of a certain shop! oh and a certain torched statue... the £250,000 spent on that could have been used on better things! Why are they stripping this city of all that's good!!
I agree thoroughly.

Mentioning that photo from #140 again, it's a nice City Centre scene from Lyn's B'ham Mail scans.
The man in a hurry crossing the road intrigues me...he either has a train to catch, or more likely he is late back from lunch ! It's the 10th photo in a gallery HERE

Last edited:
I have been looking for a photo of Mark One, Bullring, may have foumd it, Bernard Hi Claire can you point
out where you had your chips

Attachments

• City Bull Ring Shortly Before Demolition (11).JPG
    City Bull Ring Shortly Before Demolition (11).JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 24
Nearly everywhere you go people say the planners have ruined their town or city, they certainly have
here in Derby, they built a massive Centre the other side of town, £337 million s worth, and the
old part of the city have all empty shops, it just dont make sense, Bernard

Back