• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre Photographs

Hi Ragga,i'm not sure if there is a statue of him in his square.The fountain commemorates Joseph Chamberlain.
Moss.

Re: City Centre Photo Album

For those that are interested, I have just dug out a load of old photographs I took about 20-25 years ago of before, and during, the building of the Convention Centre and the redevelopment of the area around Broad Street.

I have scanned them in and posted some of them here (I will post more next week).

To see how parts of central Birmingham were 20 or so years ago is just staggering

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=29123

Council House Summer 1973

Regards Peter

Attachments

• s.jpg
    s.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:
someone very kindly bought me a calender of old brum for Christmas,
this is a place i knew well,anyone remember where it was??
regards dereklcg.

Attachments

• City Corporation St - James Watt St.JPG
    City Corporation St - James Watt St.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 30
Derek re Post 200, looks like the bottom end of Corporation Street opposite Victoria Law Courts. Some years ago we had a thread trying to remember the name of the Chinese restaurant above Associated Chemists, it was never solved , now your pic shows it - The Light of Asia - I would never have been able to recall it.

Of coarse you are right sylviasayers.
We had to visit the chemist many times over the years,
i also used to buy and sell the sports argus which was printed just behind
on the opp side of the road......happy days regards derek.

nice pic derek...havnt seen that one before...

cheers and see you tomorrow....

lyn

Lloyd at the time when the photo was taken it was the junction of James Watt St & Corporation St.

Sylvia it may not have been the Light of Asia when you used it because I remember it as The Dragons Gate, although I never used it. Here is a photo of the entrance in 1964.

Phil

CityCorporationSt1964.jpg

I love it when a little becomes a lot,
is there a pic somewhere of the sports argus
round the back? Cheers phil.. Regards derek.

Derek

The rear of the Evening Mail (Dispatch) & Sports Argus Buildings would have been in Newton St and Dalton St. I don't think I have any photos of Dalton St, but I will have a look.

Phil

Lloyd at the time when the photo was taken it was the junction of James Watt St & Corporation St.
Phil

Yes - but both joined at the junction. The course of James Watt St is now the steps and main entrance to the new courthouse.

A photo taken by my late uncle, ??Around 1973 and near Snow Hill??

Regards Peter

As this photo was a personal photo I have been unable to substitute another photo of the same view, so I have posted three of the same general area.

Attachments

• Moor St Station.jpg
    Moor St Station.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 25
  • City Moor St - Bull Ring.JPG
    City Moor St - Bull Ring.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 24
  • City Moor St Concrete Ramp.jpg
    City Moor St Concrete Ramp.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 23
It looks like the Bull Ring to me,Pedro. From the north end and I would expect Moor St.Station to be behind the photographer and to the left. In which case it will be much earlier than 1973. 1963 more like. Any other suggestions anyone?

Certainly the Bull Ring the building to the left is hiding most of St Martins you can just see the steeple when you enlarge it .Richies right with the year early 60s. Dek

I'd agree 1963. Here's a 1964 photo of the same spot, but differences are that concrete walls now replace the temporary fencing round the grassed area in front of the office block on the left, but the builders yellow signs on it remain, and scaffolding still is in front of the then 'new' indoor markets area.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/4153616078/

Thanks Richie, mike, dek, Lloyd and Froth,

I can now put the interesting info with the picture in the album, and a link to the same location a couple of years later.

Amazing to see the change within a couple of years and the birth of the subways. And now changed again.

Would I be right that this is about the scene today?

https://www.panoramio.com/photo/3666964

Regards Peter

I would hardly know Central Birmingham around that area now...I'll leave it for the other forumers to measure it up. Keep the 60's and 70s photos coming though please!

Hi Pedrocut

Here's almost the same view as yours only a couple of years later.

Phil

05/12/11. I need the original from Pedrocut before I can replace the correct photo, I have placed this one in the meantime.

CityBullRingMay1964.jpg

View attachment 45264

Here is a picture of Radcliff Place and the old Library?

Around 1968??

Regards Peter

Attachments

• City Paradise St - Radcliffe Place .jpg
    City Paradise St - Radcliffe Place .jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 15
Here's a photo of a magnificent building taken in 1908. The Arden Hotel, New Street, how I would have loved to stayed a few nights there back then.

Phil

CityArdenHotelc1908NewSt.jpg

Phil great photo of the Arden Hotel, where do you find them. I dought wether our family could have afforded to stop at the Arden. What a great pity we knocked it down!!

Back