• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre Photographs

Re: City Centre Photo Album

Hi Claire, Your question! Why are they stripping the City of everything good? Why not, they did it with the people, anyone remember the Overspill scheme???
Bernard

I remember the Arden Hotel in New Street.My parents used to go to the downstairs restaurant for lunch before going to the
Odeon next door. This would have been in the late 1960's early 1970's. They took me a few times when I was visiting Brum. Always got a good meal there. Proper waitress service and good prices.

Thanks Richie, mike, dek, Lloyd and Froth,

I can now put the interesting info with the picture in the album, and a link to the same location a couple of years later.

Amazing to see the change within a couple of years and the birth of the subways. And now changed again.

Would I be right that this is about the scene today?

https://www.panoramio.com/photo/3666964

Regards Peter

Almost the whole area is built over now, the nearest approximation to the original photo is this:
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&...vizlByfNbFDeGe5QfkjbnQ&cbp=12,202.05,,0,-0.46

Back in the 1970s The Arden, Cobden and Norfolk hotels were owned by Donald Maffatt, who also owned Moffatt builders. Any motor vehicle he bought had to have the number 979 in its registration, although I never found out why!

Phil, I think the Dragon's Gate rings a bell, it was an early Chinese Restaurant and it was about 1960/6l when I visited went there. The first Chinese I ever went to was Kam Lings in the street to the left of Snow Hill Station, was it Livery Street?

Hi Sylvia: Kam Lings wasn't the first Chinese restaurant that I went to in Brum. There was a Chinese restaurant close to New Street Station on Market Street. They took our Luncheon Vouchers (remember those). I loved Kam Ling on Livery Street. The food there was superb and my friend and I went there many times. There was another one down by the Law Courts but didn't go over there. I remember the Slow Boat for special occasions and for many years the Clover Leaf in Cannon Passage.

Sylvia, I went to the Modern China Chinese Restaurant in the old Stockland Inn when I was over in Brum in October. I was very impressed.

Sylvia & Jennyann,

Yes the Kam Ling was in Livery St near the corner with Barwick St, Sorry but it was another one I didn't use because of my dislike of noodles.

Phil

CityLiverySt-BarwickSt1959.jpg

Another beautiful old Birmingham building the old National & Provincial Bank at the junction of Bennett's Hill & Waterloo St. I believe it's a pub now, called Bennett's.

It always puzzles me why these brewery's close so many pubs down and then will take some of our old and historic buildings that are not suitable for use as pubs, then convert them for that use.

I would much rather see some of our pubs remain open and some other more suitable use found for these fine old buildings.

Phil

CityBennettsHill1973.jpg

This picture shows the entrance to Bennett's today,i don't know is it looked the same when it was a bank.
Moss.

Attachments

• Bennetts-Hill.jpg
    Bennetts-Hill.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
Phil
I think there is quite a simple reason for it. The imposing , well-built banks etc are often listed. it is difficult to convert them to a business use, but they are impressive, and, as they cannot easily be demolished because of listing (don't laugh) they are cheap to buy. So the brewery demolishes the pubs whose site can then be sold , and buys the cheap imposing building for a pub. Later it can insist the imposing building is non-economic and "the valuable land should be used for a more useful purpose". the large profit they make is purely inceidential.

Phil,
You've done it again, got one of my signs in a photo, were you following me around with your camera, Birmingham Hosiery Co. first photo.

Mike

There is a lot of wisdom in your words, and what you suggest is most likely the way it is. But although I have nothing against pubs, having made use of a great number. I am still sure that these old buildings could be put to better use.

John

I am unsure to what photo you refer, but the answer is simple. One of your exes hired me to follow you to find out where you hid all the money.

Phil

Looking down Sulfolk Street from Broad Street Summer 1991

Regards Peter

Attachments

• City Suffolk St Queensway Tunnel .JPG
    City Suffolk St Queensway Tunnel .JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 15
Peter

Compare this photo with yours, this was taken not far from the spot yours was taken. Which in 1957 when it was taken would have been Easy Row. There is nothing recognisable left. The other photo is a little earlier in the late 30's and is taken looking up Suffolk St to-wards Easy Row and Broad St.

Phil

30/11/11. I have replaced the first photo with what must be the correct image, but the second one is a substitute as I can't locate the original.

CityEasyRow-BroadSt1957.jpg
CitySuffolkSt2.jpg

Hello Sylvia And Phil,

The place above Associated Chemists was called The Dragons Gate when I
went in the early 60s.
My fella had a curry which was so hot he sweat like a pig! ! !
You have just brought back one of my happier memories.
Thank you, Betty

PMC1947
Great photo's is that a Vauxhall Wyvern or Cresta in the second photo outside the cinema I used to think they were the most beautiful of cars maybe the most American in England at that time being only 10years old.
kind regards
paul

Moss, your picture of the interior of The Bennett is wonderful and would be part of the original bank building, can you imagine any brewery fitting out a pub with such a wonderful ceiling?

Great photos pmc...I imagine so many of us remember lining up along that brick wall on the right of the West End cinema to see a highly rated film. I can remember queuing up to see"Blue Hawaii" starring Elvis Presley. Must have been late 1962 or early 1963.

Re: City Centre Photo Album

Hi wel done .
Any chance you have images of summer lane?
Gerry (aka mr coronet)

Some night shots from the early 80's.

Regards Peter

Attachments

• City Bull Ring at night (2).jpg
    City Bull Ring at night (2).jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 14
  • City New Street Station .jpg
    City New Street Station .jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 15
  • City Smallbrook Ringway (3).jpg
    City Smallbrook Ringway (3).jpg
    67 KB · Views: 13
Day time equivalent to the above photos

Regards Peter

Attachments

• City Smallbrook Ringway 1965.JPG
    City Smallbrook Ringway 1965.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 14
  • City Aerial View New St Station 1963.JPG
    City Aerial View New St Station 1963.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 15
  • City Bull Ring 3.jpg
    City Bull Ring 3.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 14
No prizes for recognising this place down the Bull Ring way these days. Some folks reckon they love it but I have to say I am not one of them and this view certainly wouldn't change my mind. (actually Nellie the elephant comes to my mind looking at this).

Attachments

• Selfridges_department_store_in_Birmingham[1].jpg
    Selfridges_department_store_in_Birmingham[1].jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 2
No prizes for recognising this place down the Bull Ring way these days. Some folks reckon they love it but I have to say I am not one of them and this view certainly wouldn't change my mind. (actually Nellie the elephant comes to my mind looking at this).
I see what you mean!
I can never make my mind up about it - sometimes I think it looks nice - when the sun is out and it's all shiny
- and other times I think...........why that.......why there?
Polly

The opening day of The Bullring Centre on the 29th of May 1964. I was somewhere among that crowd maybe not in range of this photo, but I was there somewhere, I remember those hawkers selling toys along the passage that led to the New St High St exit along the subway.

That was the entrance we used on the first day. They always had either hawkers selling some rubbish or somebody demonstrating something or other. Do you remember the one that had something to do with computer punch cards that was always breaking down.

Phil

CityBullRingMarketopeningday29051964.jpg

Back