• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre Photographs

Right, this should nail it. Should have gone to Specsavers....

Attachments

• City Easy Row (2).jpg
    City Easy Row (2).jpg
    90 KB · Views: 23
Last edited by a moderator:
Ah! That explains my theory-or does it? There were two roundabouts in Easy Row-one at each end? One at Broad Street and the other less than a hundred yards away which turned traffic in/out of Great Charles Street?

Dennis

As this old map clearly shows the Terminal was in Easy Row, at the top end where it turned into Cambridge St.

Phil

EasyRow.jpg

Attachments

• City Station St Midland Station (New St Station).JPG
    City Station St Midland Station (New St Station).JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 25
I seem to have read somewhere that New Street was used by two railways so maybe the usual entrance in Stephenson Place was the one that most of us used for the LMS and you are right it never was very obvious even before latter years but possibly was when first built. The above photo is at the junction of Hill Street and Station Street so maybe it served the second railway which I think was merged later. There is a picture on this site somewhere of the as first built New Street entrance.
What is the position now? I seem to have seen pictures of a roly poly puding like structure that was proposed. Still, I suppose that the main design requirement for such a structure is to cover the largest area at the minimum cost...within reason. 1890 map...https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10098&ox=1492&oy=1950&zm=1&czm=1&x=222&y=248

View attachment 64082
This picture taken in Birmingham, has no information with it other than that it was The Exhition Hall for the Society of Arts. Does anyone know where it is or was?

Attachments

• City New St Birmingham RSA.jpg
    City New St Birmingham RSA.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 15
Earlier New Street Stn. entrance posted on this forum. It was overshadowed by the hotel, where Roy Rogers and Trigger stayed, even by that time. I can only remember the building as having smoke blackened stone and brick and suppose that it was the structure shown in the postcard. Looks like it would have cleaned up nicely.

50s ref...https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c7/Old_New_Street_entrance_1803019.jpg

Now that's a proper station entrance. The 50s photo really helps to pinpoint the entrance. It's looking down Stephenson's Place. The later ramp up to the station would be on the left of the 50s photo, so effectively I guess the ramp went through/over the hotel. Thanks. Viv.

Yes folks, nice old pics. Just up the road from Stitchers masterpiece, and from a similar time frame by the look of things, another from the mighty Whybrow collection I think, the Town Hall with a lovely old bus (for Lloyd and the buzzers) and a nice lady to focus on. Not forgetting the Robert Peel statue which has just been in the news too...
Not seen this particular one very often, although doubtless this is not it's maiden voyage.

Attachments

• City Victoria Square Town Hall (2).jpg
    City Victoria Square Town Hall (2).jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 18
Great photo of the Town Hall in all it's glory. What's the gothic looking building behind the Town Hall? Is it the old library? Viv.

I think you mean the LiberalClub, later to be Norwich Union Building that was vandalised to build the Carbuncle...?

Attachments

• City Congreve St Liberal Club later Girls High School.JPG
    City Congreve St Liberal Club later Girls High School.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 9
I never thought that the Town Hall was a great architectural specimen...more like an air raid shelter. Anyway it's a matter of taste. The jems here in my book was the building next to the Town Hall, the Council House, the Museum and the buildings on Edmund Street including Mason College.

I too love the Council House, Museum etc. Nice, strong, interesting designs. I think Birmingham was trying to make a statement when it built the Town Hal - very Greek Parthenon. And it's a view that's easily recognised as Brum. So I think it has it's part to play. As for the Carbuncle (Dennis I take it you mean the 1960s Library?!) now that was a BIG planning decision mistake. Viv.

Hell's teeth Lloyd, I missed them little jibbers! I was concentrating on the mittel bearing shank sleeves on the Wilkinson & Riddell ball and chain drive. Will be more careful and take notes the very next one I see...cheers compadre. Did they start these monkeys with a big gramaphone handle thingy like they did in Genevieve by the way?

One of my modern favourites is the Wesleyan Building at the you of Snowhill. It's a very unusual design anbd although it's been up some time now, shows no sign of ageing or deterioration. It's just a pity that views of it are now obscured by the more recent, now delayed, developments. Anyway, here's a view from Colmore Row, taken today.

Attachments

• Wesleyan_Building[1].jpg
    Wesleyan_Building[1].jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 10
Re: City Center Photographs Stephenson Street.

Not sure if this one has been on this thread before its Stephenson Street and looks like its triple free parking in those days. Is that the canopy over the entrance into New Street station on the right? Is the name associated with the same named Steam Engine?
Ps photo sent by my old friend "Bugsy" John Jarvis

Attachments

• City Queens Hotel Stephenson St.jpg
    City Queens Hotel Stephenson St.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 19
Bob

This would have been the view from the other end of Stephenson St, and being so close to New St Station or Grand Junction Station as it was called when it opened I suppose it would have a lot to do with the "steam engine".

Phil

CityStephensonStQueensHotelNewStStation.jpg

Last edited:

Stephenson Street and looks like its triple free parking in those days.
That section of the road was railway property (and originally was behind a wall) so yes, was parking for those who were away by train.

Is that the canopy over the entrance into New Street station on the right?
No, the entrance to the Queens Hotel. The station entrance was through archways, seen on the left in the other photograph. The canopied entrance can bee seen in the distance in that one, too.

Is the name associated with the same named Steam Engine?
Good guess! The Stephensons (father and son) were closely connected with the original London - Birmingham railway (which of course originally terminated at Curzon St Station).

thanks Lloyd, as ever respect for your help.

If only we could have left the queens hotel standing, as it could have been the same as London's St. Pancras station and hotel

bob

Attachments

• St_Pancras_001[1].jpg
    St_Pancras_001[1].jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 5
How strange is that I never remember Woolworths being on that side of the road probably because I was an apprentice on The Colonnade Site when it was built on the opposite side of the road. I would have been about 19 at the time so about 1962

Great photos I loved the old fountain in town, thanks for sharing these

Back