• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre Photographs

Peter what a great photo I bet Birmingham Library would like that one. I also had a look at the others and love the ones taken in Wales..lovely!

I agree with you Bernard. Cambridge has also been spoiled by planner's. It's just a clone town here now.

I agree with you maggs, when I came to Cambridge 70's was a Bueatiful place, now though all the ugly new buildings, beggers, drunks, and the threat to cut down at least 50 mature trees sad very sad.
paul

I also thought Cambridge a beautiful place when I came here in the early 70's Paul, but thing's like taking away 'Petty Cury' to build what is virtually a shopping mall was unforgivable. The last I heard about tree's was removing an old Oak tree because councillor's thought the shape was not good enough...whatever next?

Another gem of a building from Town gone, but not forgotten...

Attachments

• City Newhall St Science Museum 1963 (2).jpg
    City Newhall St Science Museum 1963 (2).jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:
Plus my fairy tale Castle. My Mrs worked there in the early 60s. Said it was 'lovely'.

Attachments

• City Congreve St Liberal Club later Girls High School.JPG
    City Congreve St Liberal Club later Girls High School.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 16
I had'nt realised that the old science museum (the one with the "Bluebird" car) was actually gone now what ever did they do with that amazing working beam engine must have weighed 60 ton or more, so sad.
paul

Fortunately-if that is the right word-the late Phyllis Nicklin (www.pbase.com) was able to capture the prescence of the building for us all to appreciate. In 1960 I might not have had the memory power to keep it live today, but in any event its the loss ofView attachment 63732 the education that went with it and with the demolition of so many buildings education-wise in the post-War period that vexes me!

View attachment 63731

Re: City Centre Photo Album

Hello... Can you please let me know on your No 67 photos... where abouts (roads near by) is your 3rd photo ... the red building with turrets and arches underneath?
Thanks...... Georgie

Re: City Centre Photo Album

I've just been looking through my photos of Brum but guess most must have already been posted here before over the years. So, maybe you'd like to take a look at these: https://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b236/oisin01/Streets of Birmingham/ Not strictly buildings, more about the people of Brum but mostly taken against a backdrop of the city centre. To avoid wearing your mouse out or dying of boredom I suggest they're viewed as a slideshow.

A wonderful selection of Birmingham today, Oisin, captured moments in time. If only there were similar albums of ordinary town life 100 or 200 years ago!

Great photo of the Science Museum/old Elkintons Dennis, I dont think that I have seen that one before. The exhibits must have all been moved to the new Think Tank. I can't remember now but seem to think the old place was free to the public. Priceless buildings so 'thoughtlessly' it would seem...destroyed. No doubt the exhibits inside were handled with care but no one seems to have considered that the buildings themselves were also valuable exhibits. Landmarks of achievement.

It seems that we have the Pheasy Estate in common Dave. I was not born there...Summer Lane in fact...but we were re-housed there and stayed for a while when it was just built. Tyndale Crescent.

Re post#302, I have enquired before re an exact date as to when Elkingtons closed, my Father was a tool-maker at Elkingtons until they moved from Newhall street to Bloxwich, The Birmingham Mail took photographs of all the staff and I would like an approximate date as to the closure.

It seems that we have the Pheasy Estate in common Dave. I was not born there...Summer Lane in fact...but we were re-housed there and stayed for a while when it was just built. Tyndale Crescent.

Rupert Cotman close until 1959, the the Sea called me Dave

sorry off thread

Midland Bank in the first photo in post no. 296 is on the corner of Stephenson Place and must have been a wonderful old bank with 'proper' banking hall etc. (and staffed with people, not lots of machines). Midland became HSBC, which shifted directly across the road to the 60/70s building on the ramp. I wonder if that was 'progress'? Viv.

Last edited:
Well at least they 'reassigned' the building as a nice rambling bookshop Viv, so we still have most of its splendour to behold. Unlike this shot of my favourite area of old Brum..Christchurch corner..

Attachments

• City Christchurch  Ann St (Colmore Row) - New St 1805-1899  .jpg
    City Christchurch Ann St (Colmore Row) - New St 1805-1899 .jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 15
Looks like the oyster bar has had it by then. Now there is a wonderful oportunity maybe, a new modern oyster bar and seafood outlet right there...with a beer on the side...hmmm. Railings around a levelled platform with tables and parasols.

That's true Dennis. Hoping more like this survive through the 21st century. Where is/was Christchurch Corner? Is it near Colmore Row? Viv.

Not much mentioned the BOAC (in my day) Terminal Building Easy Row. Sacrificed with the Woodman for the Paradise Circus Queensway.. I loved it's quaint squat Circular shape.

Attachments

• City BEA Terminal Easy St bhf.jpg
    City BEA Terminal Easy St bhf.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 20
Not much mentioned the BOAC (in my day) Terminal Building Easy Row. Sacrificed with the Woodman for the Paradise Circus Queensway.. I loved it's quaint squat Circular shape.

Excellent photo there Dennis. that would be quite "retro" now! What is the street name to the side, exactly opposite the viewer?

From the other side, can't quite make out the street name, Have no map of the time all mine are too early.

It is EASY ROW, as this mock-up shows the air terminal built parallel to the side of the civic centre, Broad Street to the left, Easy Row ended at Cambridge Street.

Attachments

• Birmingham-Civic-Center-1[1].jpg
    Birmingham-Civic-Center-1[1].jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 15
Back