• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bull Ring 1960s - 1980s

I remember it was a song that went with the advert, In da Bullring shopping centre, there are smiles on every face, from the moment that you enter you know its a friendly place, there are shops galore and so much more. and the famous indoor market, for one stop shopping variety, (theres a bit here I can't remember) come train or come by car theres a place that you can park it, (there is more but I can't remember that either)

does anyone remember the advert for the Bullring Shopping Centre?

Yes, I remember the advert in the 70's. The song had a reggae beat and I think the words went something like this...

At the Bullring shopping centre there's a smile on every face
From the moment that you enter you'll know it's a friendly place
There are shops galore and so much more, and the famous indoor market
Come by bus or come by car, there's a place where you can park it
It's the place to shop with the family, it's one-stop shopping variety
With pubs and restaurants if you want a snack
Once you've been you'll want to come back
Whatever you need you'll find it at the Bullring shopping centre!
:)

Last edited:
Well done Marie and Dusty I would love to hear you singing it. I would never have remembered the words in a month of Sundays. Jean.

Hi i seem to remember an ad for the Bullring sang to the tune of( I do like to be beside the seaside) Goes something like Oh i do like to shop around the bullring and we'll take home some market food for tea,
la la la the bullring centres the place to be,and i have seen it on u tube i'll have a look,i don't think its as nice now,or should i say its just so different you don't really associate it with the Bull ring

Hi Alf: Hit the link and it opened on the Youtube search page. I remembered about the one I posted so stuck it on.

HI GUYS
THOSE WERE THE DAYS MY FRIEND WE THOUGHT THEY NEVER END
SANGED BY MARY HOPINGS AND -JASPER CARROT .OUR OWN BRUMMIES COMEDIUN
SINGING ,WHEN I GET MY MOPED , I,m Gonna RIDE MY MOPED, THATS WAS IN BRUM
AROUND THE OLD ONE WAY CIRCUIT AROUND THE BULL RING
SO DOES ANY-BODY STILL THINK THE BULL RING STILL EXCIST TODAY,?.
I PERSONALY DO NOT THINK YOU CAN CALL IT THE BULL RING ANY MORE
ITS LONG GONE . THE PEOPLE AND IT,S CHARACTERS
ITS JUST A CONCRETE SHOPPING MALL
ASTONIAN ;;;;

hi astonian....i must agree with you about the bull ring not being the same as it used be and shopping in the new shopping centre will never have the atmosphere that the old bull ring had...but i will also say that for once i think the architects got it right with the way st martins church just hits you as you walk towards the shopping mall....very cleverly done....

have a good day

lyn

Yes, I remember the advert in the 70's. The song had a reggae beat and I think the words went something like this...

At the Bullring shopping centre there's a smile on every face
From the moment that you enter you'll know it's a friendly place
There are shops galore and so much more, and the famous indoor market
Come by bus or come by car, there's a place where you can park it
It's the place to shop with the family, it's one-stop shopping variety
With pubs and restaurants if you want a snack
Once you've been you'll want to come back
Whatever you need you'll find it at the Bullring shopping centre!
:)
Glad you remembered the rest of it, I kept going over and over it trying to remember the rest of the words.

The trouble with Bull Ring photos is that I have that many I have trouble remembering just which ones I have posted before. These ones are all from around the same era.

Phil

City Bull Ring Ramp 1960's.jpgCity Bull Ring 60's (2).jpgCity Bull Ring c 1960's.jpgCity Bull ring Indoor Market 1960's.jpg

Last edited:
great pics phil...im just waiting for someone to either spot themselves or maybe their mom or dad....that would be nice...just looked at the stevens bar pic...

lyn

BullRing-Birmingham-90-1.jpg

Lovely photo was it Sunday,i don't recall seeing it so deserted

Vauxhall Victor estate, Austin Westminter going town the hill ,Ford Pop ?,Morris Minor and a Ford Anglia and the old Oswald Bailey's store .
Ah yes I remember it well

I bet you can tell the date by the cars,lol oh and then i noticed early 60s

About that time i used to drive an old A30 van i had a puncture right on that corner had a spare but no jack called a gang of youths over they lifted the back while i changed the wheel wouldn,t get that type of help theses days. Dek

My Brother has a number of pic's taken in the area at the time.. he said there had been some developments in the area and he wanted to record them... I'll see if I can get some more.

He says he had a Mini at the time the pictures were taken, which he purchased in 1963.... so!

Look forward to seeing them,Dek you might be surprised i think youngsters all get a bad press for the bad ones while some are decent

Note. Image lost.

apologies if this has been posted before...

bullring dated 1980

pic courtesy of carl chinn

Some more pre 60's type photos and drawings of the Bull Ring. All these postcards, paintings and drawings tended to give pretty much the same view.

Phil

City  Bull Ring 1960[1].jpgCity Bull Ring & Stage Coach outside Nelson House .jpgCity Bull Ring (1).JPGCity Bull Ring (8).JPG

Last edited:
smashing pics phil and aidan...i cant recall seeing any of those before...

lyn

I have to say again what marvelous photo's and how very kind for you to allow us to see them and the people who know ancesters and relatives to copy them, well done all.
paul

Does anyone rember the name of the record shop on grand parade in the bull ring .Ithink it was next door to the first modern menswear shop (which ive also complete forgot ! gothic terrace

Yeah youre right ,it was the first menswear shop at its time that sold up to date clothes.I think there was another modern mens wear shop in bull street.The record shop was part of the John Menizes group(that just came to me after you told me the name Fenton) Thanks for the info Gothic terrace

Matahari my brother in law sold pots and pans before watches. I will ask if he remember someone by the name of Lees. Not sure of a photo though. TTFN. Jean.

picture number 1
All the pictures here are truly great.(I mean besides the one's I am posting folks)
Here are a few of the Bull ring.
This one dated 1970's.2012-03-29_6.jpg

Back