• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bull Ring 1960s - 1980s

wonderful pics redken...just how i remember the bull ring..i used to go into mark-one all the time...

many thanks

lyn

Me too Lyn - you may even have been the girl I wrestled for that last bargain on the rack! Lol, only joking. I asked this question a while ago but no-one seems to know. I wonder where the bronze bulls on the wall went when the Bull Ring was replaced? I think there were 3 or 4 of them. Viv

do you know viv im sure i used to walk around with me eyes closed...i cant recall seeing the bronze bulls at that time..

lyn

amazing pics redken..how lucky we are that you had the insight back then to take them...

lyn

forgot to say that we are even luckier that you are happy to share them with the forum...i know only too well how time consuming posting pics can be...

thanks again..

lyn

Maybe I am the only one in this ...but although the photo's are valuable as a record...I am afraid that for me this is a period/version of the place that is best forgotten. A horrible assemblage of concrete with few if any redeeming features, that replaced what was The Bull Ring. This was a short lived regrettable transient form of a much loved place...for me anyway. The old...not this...Bull Ring was not perfect and had some anomalies but it had substance and a feel to it. Ah yes and aromas too. This horror story was angled concrete...more like a prison yard perhaps. How the latest Pleasure Beach will play out remains to be seen.

Picture number 14 answers the question which has been asked before on this thread. Where was Nelson's statue? It was at the far end of the upper gallery of shops. In this picture you can just see Moor Street station on the far right of the picture. The big advertising hoarding was over the mouth of the Snow Hill tunnel.

Picture 16 was taken in Manzoni Gardens, an open space we have now lost in the area.

Hi Redken - An interesting set of photos, I remember it like that, although the earlier rather 'scruffy' Bull Ring is also fondly remembered. Nice to see the Midland Bank adverts 'The Listening Bank' now gone abroad !
oldmohawk

Manzoni Gardens , named after the Birmingham "Architect" who redesigned our city.

I know you used the term architect in quotes, but he was not really an architect, more a town planner (or town destroyer).

His title was "City Engineer and Surveyor of Birmingham"

Picture 16 was taken in Manzoni Gardens, an open space we have now lost in the area.

I remember walking through there just before they began to redevelop the BullRing area and the gardens was full of "winos" sitting there drinking their cider out of large bottles.

Rather unpleasant and threatening and I was glad to see the back of these gardens.

However it is a pity we have such as shortage of "green space" in the centre of Birmingham.

It will be nice when the Eastside City Park is finished over by Moor St station.

Note photo has been lost

Prykes in the bull ring...dated 1966

img754.jpg

Back