• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bull Ring 1960s - 1980s

I know this is Smallbrook ringway in 1962 ........... but you can see the new Bull ring being built ....ragga ......
Smallbrook.jpg

Bigfella, that is a great pic, so busy and so much to see!!
And the Smallbrook Queensway one is good too, the Bullring then is a little younger than me, and it's being re-vamped, do you think someone will do the same for me too lol!
Sue

That's a very interesting picture Stitcher because it shows the ring way almost complete but with the Market Hall and the old Woolworths still there so that you can locate everything during the transition.

Hello David, I know I have a few more of the area but I am just ploughing through them and posting as I find, that is why they are not in any specific order.

Photo in posting No.336. you can just imagine the couple seen at the very bottom of the photo saying to each other, "Well I HOPE this is all going to lead to some improvement.....".

10169812a.jpg

...and here to the nearest millimetre is the exact same spot some 22 years later. Bull Ring well into its stride now...

ll.jpeg
Manzoni Gardens are established now and the Market Hall has long gone. 1966.

Nice photo especially all the old folks!! I wonder if it is as clean and tidy now, obviously not now, as most elderly are frightened to death about being in a public park.
paul

Nice photo especially all the old folks!! I wonder if it is as clean and tidy now, obviously not now, as most elderly are frightened to death about being in a public park.
paul

No Paul, Manzoni Gardens is long gone. Became the haunt of wineos druggies and rough sleepers.

#340. You would have to be desperate for the sight of a blade of grass to think that the vistage of that plain place was even a garden. Awfull comes to mind but perhaps a fitting monument considering.

Is that New Street station in the back ground Stitcher, I know it is the old market but sadly I have forgotten the area over the years.
paul

I am afraid I am a bit like you as regards the past Paul. It is New Street Stn. but I think we seem to remember the Market Hall being lower down the Bull Ring. The writing with the picture on # 347 does say that the Manzoni Gardens were laid where the entrance to the Market Hall used to be. Then Davidgrain quite rightly pointed out that it was the rear entrance.

Yes that is New Street Station in the back ground. If you look over the back wall which appears to be partly demolished you will see some motor vehicles in Queens Drive. What I did not remember was the row of shops with the gables in Worcester Street. To the right of the shops is the Odeon New Street.

kkk.jpeg1965.
H.R.H.The Queen strolling round the Bull Ring.

From the newspaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know Stitcher when all the re-building was going on, my Dad worked for "Wates" as a site/pay clerk and I remember him saying to me that one day the city would regret doing so much alteration in favour of the traffic, how right he was.!!!!
paul

Been trying to work out what item the stallholder is selling. I suspect it's knickers judging by the grin on Prince Phillip's face! Viv.

5433188929_7730569084_z.jpg
Again I have no date but someone will tell us the age of the bus.

View attachment 78179
Again I have no date but someone will tell us the age of the bus.
That looks like a Daimler Fleetline which went into service in 1965 that one could even be
Reg: BON 472C
Chassis: Daimler Fleetline
Engine : CRG6 Gardner 6LX
Body:Marshall SD
That let out the Nurd in me lol

Oh and to add to the picture the van parked on the right next to the ramp is a Vincents Ice Cream trailer. There was also a Hot Dog barrow on the other side of the bridge from the stall that sold blankets, sheets and towels. Just out of shot bottom right there used to be a bloke that sold a range of stuff using the the old "I'm not going to charge you £30, I'm not even going to charge you £20, today I'm not even going to charge you £15" and so on. But he did sell me some really great blankets.

oldandGrey, thank you for adding some information to that picture, it makes it all so more interesting for everyone.

That looks like a Daimler Fleetline which went into service in 1965 that one could even be
Reg: BON 472C
Chassis: Daimler Fleetline
Engine : CRG6 Gardner 6LX
Body:Marshall SD
That let out the Nurd in me lol

Oh and to add to the picture the van parked on the right next to the ramp is a Vincents Ice Cream trailer. There was also a Hot Dog barrow on the other side of the bridge from the stall that sold blankets, sheets and towels. Just out of shot bottom right there used to be a bloke that sold a range of stuff using the the old "I'm not going to charge you £30, I'm not even going to charge you £20, today I'm not even going to charge you £15" and so on. But he did sell me some really great blankets.

One of the stalls in the bottom right-hand corner of the photo used to sell ladies suede boots in all colours, with platforms, without platforms etc and at bargain prices. I bought several pairs, and they were good quality. The stall was there in 1969 but don't know how long it was there. Viv.

Back