• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham?

Both are referred to as Tranters Yard so presumably the same Viv.
There was a sack/bag factory (Midland Jute Bag co/ Levy Bros Ltd and Knowles Ltd) in Grange road in 1966. It was at no 47, between Eversley road and Bertram road. There was also a coal yard behind the sack factory in Green Lane. (Tranter's Yard -see attached photo- Butler's lamp factory in Grange road can be seen behind the yard)

More fuel to the fire! Just came across this photo said to be Green Lane 1954 queue for coal The red arrow is pointing to a property now numbered 151 Green Lane.
Like in Tinpots photo in post #145, were brummie007s ancestors pushing coal in that pram ?

For info.

Member Sheldon asked if anyone knows of an Edgar Jones, coalman, in Burlington Street c1965.(from the "Coalman" thread). Sheldon hasn't visited BHF since Sept 2020.
Screenshot_20240904_155930_Samsung Internet.jpg

Member Sheldon was looking to find out more about Edgar Jones - see these two links here

Last edited:
Just ‘strolled down’ Hawkes St 2008 wher if you look at the fencing on the right and the brick courses on the left the road is clearly dropping away. Whilst the building across the bottom of the road is not the one in the original photo it does have a similar footprint. There was even a lamppost still there in 2008. Possibly where original photo was taken.

Attachments

• IMG_0763.jpeg
    IMG_0763.jpeg
    446.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0764.jpeg
    IMG_0764.jpeg
    513.4 KB · Views: 10
The buildings in the modern view cut off Hawkes Street, it used to reach as far as Muntz Street. Effectively covering half of the road with buildings.

Hi
I almost certain they are my Mom & Twin brother i know my grandad was a coalman my Mom told me she used to enjoy feeding the horse would that be where the horse was kept ? if so it was behind the football grounds Blues there are so many similarities with the 2 children
Developing Tinpot's idea of Hawkes Street a little further. Was it this football ground (blue dot) close to where the horse was kept ? (And not the St Andrews ground/Knighthead Park of today.). I think they played their early games on the site shown below and, although its not named, I think the Ground was probably called Muntz Street. This is close to all the locations the family is so far connected with (ie, Burlington Road, Hawkes Street, Green Lane and Grange Road). And possibly in keeping with the family appearing to stick to quite a relatively small, geogrphical area of Small Heath.

I can't seem to fit the buildings or road features in the original photo to Hawkes Street, so wondered if any of the buildings around/nearer the old football ground fit the pattern of buildings in the photo ? Just a thought if time was spent feeding the horse somewhere around here.

Screenshot_20240904_215724_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
just to quote and post an earlier map from jan....so this means they were living at hawkes st between 1939 and 1950...little girl born 1939 so looking at her in the photo looks to me as though the age of her would fit between those dates...

If the yard was near their house in Hawkes Street (1945 address red) then it was also quite near their Grange road address (1939 blue) Also not too far from Burlington Road (1950 green)

image (64).jpg

I spotted this house on the original photo which shows there was a street running off to the right (as already suggested) could these be the buildings on the photo? could what we think is a factory roof be the original Birmingham City Football stadium?

I have little knowledge of this area so may just be shooting in the dark.

Attachments

• muntz-street-question.jpg
    muntz-street-question.jpg
    1,023.7 KB · Views: 5
same here john not much knowledge of this area...but anything is possible we could be closing in..this is the problem when folk dont write on the back of old photos....i am very lucky with mine as our dad wrote on the back of most of our old family black and whites..

lyn

doubt this will help photos of hawkes st are thin on the ground but i do have this one of the freeholders arms pub no idea where abouts in hawkes st it was

lyn

index.php - 2024-09-05T051601.332.jpg

Last edited:
Back