• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham?

This is an aerial view of Hawkes Street from 1937. The building shown is a possible contender but unfortunately insufficient detail.

Attachments

• hawkes-st-small-heath-aerial.jpg
    hawkes-st-small-heath-aerial.jpg
    689.4 KB · Views: 7
This might help interpretation. The ‘hayloft’ is on the gable end of the building outline in red. The blue structure has a high level opening. Area marked in yellow is a fence. The green building is a type of ‘gatehouse’ to a site of some kind where entrance and exit could be monitored. Tinpot

There is a second lamppost where the vertical red line on the left meets the blue structure.
This has become quite a stimulating conversation! While I have no familiarity with the area, the group’s analysis has been quite stimulating! That comment is made in a most positive way.

Unless it's a trick of the camera, it has to be a road with a sharp drop judging by how each of the houses on the left are 'stepped' as you move down along the terrace. This is as well as the clear drop in the road, with the buildings on the right being much, much lower than the buildings on the left.

Also the buildings in the distant background are very high, almost like there's a dip/valley between that position and the foreground. That's why I originally thought this might be close to an embankment.

Im prepared to be shot down in flames on this ! But I'm starting to lean towards Adderley Park. Mainly on the basis of the terrain. Nothing more specific to offer I'm afraid.

Back