• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Trams

I Have two paperback books compiled by D.R.Harvey 1 Memories of Birmingham Transport
2 Birmingham in The Electric Tramway Era
Some lovely photos in them.Would anyone like them.

I'm very interested in the proposal to download photographs from one of my books which is still in print! :( Perhaps you might like to purchase the original prints of Norman Glover and Les Perkins from FAWycherley, 60 Umberslade Road, Selly Oak, Birmingham!
David Harvey

Hi David, I haven,t a clue in your reply. The books in my posession are of no interest to me thats why i have asked if anyone would like them who is interested in trams etc. I don,t happen to be .

:dft005:To David Harvey if you read Topsyturvey,s post correctly there is no mention of down loading from your book unless it is a crime to give something away an apology would be nice. Dek

:dft005:To David Harvey if you read Topsyturvey,s post correctly there is no mention of down loading from your book unless it is a crime to give something away an apology would be nice. Dek
I could not agree more,Mr Harvey should at least take the time to read the post properly and not jump to conclusions.I think an apology is in order,or is kindness a crime now ?
:shocked:

dek thank you,
I wouldn,t even know how you go about downloading them anyway. So much appreciation to you for correcting David Harvey.

hi topsy...there is nothing in your first post other than to very kindly offer to give away 2 of david harveys books....i do however find davids post confusing...unless i am missing the point how can someone download pics out of a book that is still in print and not even on sale yet....please dont worrry about it...

lyn..

hi topsy reading davids post again maybe he was not referring to your post and it just seemed that way...either way i still cant see how anyone can download pics from a book that is still in print...perhaps we should wait for david to come back on and explain it to us....

lyn..x

Astoness. I am totally baffled. I Have only come across them whilst sorting out.I don,t even know how old they are.I Wouldn,t mind but there are some great photos in them of all different streets and places where the trams used to run.A smashing one outside the Bartons Arms i was going to put on.GLAD I DIDN,T NOW.

I think it is the last line of topsy's post that has been misread, although it is clear to me that there are two books offered to anyone who wants them, not prints or their originals.
A thought to remember,
If you think it dont write it down,
If you do write it down dont publish it,
If you do publish it prepare to be damned

topsy..just dont worry about it ..if it is a misreading of your post its happened before and it will happen again..its any easy thing to do....most of my posts are probably missunderstood..lol

lyn.

mike thats a lovely postcard..one i have not seen and its great to see the hipp in it...i think that would be burlington st on the right where fosters is...

thanks for posting it:thumbsup:

lyn

The card is no more Lyn it gave up the ghost a few years ago. I found it on a stall at Kidderminster Station (SVR) a few years ago. There is a guy there who sells old Ordnance Survey maps and he threw the card in free with a couple of maps.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

mike thats a lovely postcard..one i have not seen and its great to see the hipp in it...i think that would be burlington st on the right where fosters is...

lyn

I Posted it on there Newtown thread about 4 years ago

I wish people would read the threads properly before they respond with a silly remark about downloading images.
anyone can give books away without it being a copyright issue.
Perhaps an apology from David would be in order.

I don't think David was being silly Jim.The way that the 2 sentences were phrased I also read it incorrectly because I presumed that when the post mentioned the pictures and then said would anyone like them I too thought it referred to the pictures.
Just a misunderstanding that happens in posting on the internet.

lyn

No Lyn, Fosters was on the corner of Webster Street & Griffins the Greengrocers was on the corner of Burlington Street
I've still got the Postcard in mint condition

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone has any idea when trams started running on Tyburn Road - we have a photo of the first tram and would like to be able to date it?

Christine

Hi Christine.

The first stage of the 79 route was built to transport workers to Fort Dunlop as far as Holly lane 13 May 1920, the extended to the gates on reserve line 13 Feb. 1930.

The last extension was to service the new Pype hayes Council Housing estate and opened in 20 feb 1927.

Ray

Thanks very much for that Ray - are the dates you give the actual date the service started - if so that would be wonderful to actually put a date to the photo?

Christine

Christine are you able to attach the photo there are expert tram people on the Forum who may be able to give you an exact date and location. Dek

Hi Christine.

Yes they are the actual starting dates.

The reserved track was part fund by the Dunlop's company and it tram route no was 63,it was the very last extension of BCT tram routes in Birmingham.

Before the trams ran to Holly lane the workers were taken by barge from Salford Bridge along the Birmingham & Fazeley Canal.

Ray

On a slightly different tack, perhaps one of our more tramway-knowledgeable members can help me with this query.......

Many years ago, my late mother told the story that life guards (she referred to them as cowcatchers) were first fitted to Birmingham trams as a result of an accident to one of her ancestors in the early years of the 20th Century. Most likely it is just another family legend, but on the other hand it should have resulted in a record somewhere (even in a local newspaper) if true.

The only reference that might be a possible connection was this one on the Nottingham Corporation Tramways page of Wiki:-

"The existing iron guards fitted to 32 cars were replaced by Tideswell's patent life guards." It's relevant because the same article mentions a visit by NCT members to inspect Birmingham trams. The date referred to is 1905.

Can anyone throw any light on Tideswell, life guards or the alleged accident please?

Maurice :cool:

Maurice , here is a photo of the first Birmingham Corporation car (Fleet No. 1) of 1904 as delivered by the Electric Railway & Tramway Carriage Works of Preston. It clearly shows the automatic lifeguard equipment in place upon delivery so I think that you could be right that your mother's story is a bit of family legend.
The iron guards referred to at Nottingham were probably a wire mesh fixed 'cowcatcher' common on the first electric trams built in the late 1800's.
Mike

Last edited:
Back