• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Steam Buses 1824-1910.

Lloyd, your last post beat mine. Clearly you were just "resting your eyes". Nice Murdoch pics, and the protoype "three wheeler".

Richard Tangye: the Times Obituary 1906.

[Aidan, thanks indeed for the excellent Times Richard Tangye obit: what a wonderful find! He is definitely "my kind" of steam pioneer! I hope you don't mind my re-posting it here (somewhat edited, and in larger print so I can read it! ;)). It can serve as the "definitive biography" of the great man on the BSB thread, and later I will annotate it to include all the additional facts we have unearthed.]

The Times (15 Oct 1906).

OBITUARY.

SIR RICHARD TANGYE.

We regret to announce the death of Sir Richard Tangye, which occurred yesterday afternoon at his residence, Coombe Bank, Kingston Hill. He had been ill for some time. Latterly there had been signs of improvement, but he had a relapse on Friday.

The career of Sir Richard Tangye forms an interesting chapter in the romance of industry. His father had started life as a Cornish miner, and afterwards became a small shopkeeper and farmer. The grandfather on the mother's side was an agricultural labourer, possessed a few acres of common land, and belonged to a family of which for generations one branch had earned their living as smiths. Richard Tangye himself was born on 24 November 1833, at Broad Lane in the parish of Illogan, Cornwall, and received his early training at the British school there, with no other immediate prospect before him than that of earning a living through some form of manual labour. But when he was nine years old he broke his right arm in such a way that the doctor predicted he would never be able to use it for hard work; and so the boy had two or three years at a better school in Redruth, and after that, the father being a Quaker, a year's good training at the Friends' School at Sidcot. His aspirations were for a commercial life, and though much against his will, he consented to become a schoolmaster, he abandoned that career at the age of 18.

At the end of 1852 Richard Tangye took a situation as clerk at £50 a year in a small engineering establishment in Birmingham owned by Mr Thomas Worsdall, whose father had made the first railway "coaches" for the London and North-Western Railway Company. Soon afterwards he induced his younger brother, George, to join him in the same office as junior clerk, and then, after about three years' experience of Birmingham life, he wrote to his brothers James and Joseph that their mechanical and engineering skill would have more scope in Birmingham than in Cornwall, and that they had better come there as well. They took his advice, and James became foreman in the same works as Richard was engaged at, while Joseph started operations with a lathe which he and James had made at home, and had brought with them to Birmingham. Six months or so later Richard left his employer, and although having no capital, started as a commission agent in the joint interests of the brotherhood. Then it occurred to him that, instead of simply buying tools etc on behalf of Cornish friends, it would be better to start manufacturing them on a small scale, Joseph being an exceptionally expert maker of such things. They accordingly engaged, at a rental of four shillings a week, a portion of a manufacturer's packing room, into which a revolving shaft projected, and here Joseph set up his lathe, while Richard partitioned off for himself an "office", four foot square, by means of sheets of brown paper stretched upon a wooden framing. The experiment answered so well that before long the brothers James and George also left Mr Worsdall, and the four resolved to start together on their own account. They took a larger workshop at a rental of ten shillings a week, they bought an old engine and boiler so as to have their own motive power, and they were even so bold as to take on a workman, though they were cautious enough to warn him at the outset that they could not guarantee him employment for more than three months.

Thus a formal start had been made with Tangye Brothers, and before long they had an "order" which laid the foundation of their future fortunes. The brothers James and Joseph, after thoroughly learning in Cornwall the business of wheelwright and shoeing-smith respectively, had taken engagements with Mr Brunton, who was then engineer to the West Cornwall Railway, under Mr Brunel; and a hydraulic press they had made for covering safety fuse with guttapercha brought them under the notice of that famous engineer himself. In 1856, Mr Brunel was in want of some powerful appliances to help in the launching of the Great Eastern, and, hearing that Joseph Tangye had invented a new hydraulic lifting jack, he sent his agent to the modest workshop in Birmingham, with the result that Tangye Brothers supplied the jacks that set the vessel afloat, and enabled Richard Tangye to say in after years: "We launced the Great Eastern and she launched us". Another stroke of good fortune was their perfecting and taking over from the inventor, Mr J A Weston, the manufacture of his differential pulley blocks; though when they subsequently bought the patent rights they found themselves involved in legal proceedings which extended over a year and cost some thousands of pounds.

In 1859 the business was removed to new premises in Clement Street, Birmingham, which were then regarded as large enough to meet all possible requirements for the future, while Richard felt, at last, so far settled that he married, his bride being Miss Caroline Jesper. But within the course of the next few years the business had assumed such dimensions that there had to be a further remove, and this time so much land was wanted that the brothers went to Soho, three miles from Birmingham, to find it. They took over at first three acres of ground for workshops and offices, but more and more extensions became necessary as the business continued to grow, so that at last the little workroom at four shillings a week, and the single employé taken on with only three months "certain", expanded into a group of buildings covering twenty acres of ground, and giving employment to about 2,500 persons. The primary causes of this remarkable success are to be found no doubt in the indomitable energy and perseverance, the inventive power and mechanical skill, and the shrewdness and business capacity of the brothers themselves. There were five of them altogether, the four already mentioned being afterwards joined by a fifth, Edward, who had emigrated to America; and each had his own position according to his individual talents, until advancing years led to the retirement of one after the other.

Tangye Brothers was converted into a limited liability company in 1881. The firm were most generous in the "institutions" they organized in the form of educational classes, benefit funds, etc, in the interests of their workpeople, to whom they gave the "nine hours" unasked, and with whom they remained on the most friendly terms. Elected to the Birmingham Town Council in 1878 and again in 1881, Mr Tangye became deeply interested in the educational work then being carried on by that body in connexion with the Free Library and other institutions; and in 1880 his firm offered the council a sum of £10,000 for the provision of a municipal art gallery — an offer which was duly accepted. In 1881 they followed up this gift with another £10,000 (subsequently increased to £11,000) towards the erection of a school of art for the city. The Art Gallery, when completed, was enriched for a number of years by a valuable collection of Wedgwood ware, lent by Mr Tangye. In 1894 the honour of knighthood was conferred upon him.

A Liberal in politics, Sir Richard Tangye was able to recall the fact that he had taken part in every election except one, when he was on his way back from Australia, in which Mr John Bright was returned for Birmingham. He had himself been several times asked to stand as a candidate for Parliament, one or two of these invitations coming to him from Cornish constituencies. But he always declined the honour; and from the time of the Home Rule split — when, as a pronounced Gladstonian, he found himself out of touch with the prevailing sentiment in Birmingham — he took a less active interest in the politics of the day. In the fiscal controversy he remained a strong free-trader.

Sir Richard had paid seven visits to Australasia. To New Zealand he went twice — once in 1886 and again in 1904. In addition to the interest he took in Wedgwood ware, he was an eager collector for a period of over twenty years of rare books, pictures and personal relics of Oliver Cromwell and his times. The considerable collection thus brought together by him included eighteen letters written by Cromwell, the Protector's Bible (with autograph) and watch, and various miniatures and rare medals. Sir Richard published The Two Protectors, Oliver and Richard Cromwell, a book which gave many original facts the indefatigable author had succeeded in getting together. In 1905 he brought out a "new and revised edition" (representing the 20th thousand) of a little work entitled The Rise of a Great Industry (previously One and All), in which he told the story of his life.

Sir Richard Tangye continued to reside in Birmingham until about 1894, when he removed to Kingston-on-Thames. He remained chairman of the company, though allowing the control of working details to pass into younger hands. A man of strong sympathies and most kindly temperament, ever ready to do his best to promote the welfare of those around him, he was regarded with deep and universal esteem by all who were in any way associated with Cornwall Works; and he leaves behind him traditions which should exercise a lasting beneficent influence.

The Works of Richard Trevithick Tangye (1833-1906).

[The archive.org teasure trove contains e-texts of the following works of Richard Tangye, who was quite a prolific author. He was a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society, and his travel writings are commendable, demonstrating the warm sense of humour of our Brummie steam pioneer. I was especially interested to read his account of a visit to Launceston, Tasmania (my former home town).]

Reminiscences of Travel in Australia, America, and Egypt. With illustrations by E C Mountfort. London: Sampson Low, Marston, Searle and Rivington, 1883.
Reminiscences of Travel in Australia, America, and Egypt. With illustrations by E C Mountfort. Second Edition. London: Sampson Low, Marston, Searle and Rivington, 1884.
Notes of My Fourth Voyage to the Australian Colonies, Including Australia, Tasmania, and New Zealand. Birmingham: by White and Pike for private circulation, 1886. Inscribed by the author.
English Notes for American Circulation (With Apologies to Charles Dickens). Birmingham: by Hudson and Son for private circulation, 1895.
The Two Protectors: Oliver and Richard Cromwell. With Thirty-eight Illustrations. London: S W Partridge, 1899.

[And I'll include again the link to the excellent Grace's Guide e-text of Richard Tangye's autobiography, which is the 1889 edition, not 1869 as stated.]

"One and All": An Autobiography of Richard Tangye of the Cornwall Works, Birmingham. With Original Illustrations by Frank Hewett. Second Edition. London: S W Partridge, 1889.

Last edited:
... did you trace the book you were after? ...

Thanks, Seabird, for the AbeBooks tip :). I have ordered a copy of Prosser's Birmingham Inventors and Inventions (the 1970 reprint, not the 1881 limited edition of 50 copies!), and am looking forward to sharing its contents with Forumists. But if anyone chances on an e-text, please post a link.

... I have managed to find another strong Midlands link that brings us to a name more familiar on buses and coaches in the 1940's and 50's, that of Maudslay ...

Thanks for the Gurney - Dance - Maudslay connection, Motorman. Well done! :thumbsup: And of course Leyland Motors Ltd itself started out as the Lancashire Steam Motor Co at Leyland in 1896.

... As a manufacturer Richard Tangye argued that 'it would be disastrous for employers and employed if trade unions ceased to exist'; like his brothers he was keen to provide his workers with a dining hall, care during sickness and accidents and adult education classes ...

So Richard Tangye and his brothers were humane and thoughtful employers (and perhaps a tad paternalistic?). In this they continued the fine Birmingham Quaker tradition of the Cadbury family. Thanks, Wendy! :)

The incorrect 1852 date for the Tangye "Cornubia" steam carriage, which has caused us no end of confusion, comes from:

L H Weeks. Automobile Biographies. New York: The Monograph Press, 1904. (Links to the archive.org e-text.)

It must be a typo, because the author quotes the Tangye autobiography in his very next paragraph. Never mind, because he makes up for it by giving us the following snippet concerning the Murdoch (aka Murdock) steam carriage model of 1784 (see posts #125, #129, #131): "it is still in existence, and in the possession of the Messrs Richard and George Tangye".

This connection puts Murdoch / Murdock right on topic (though I reckon he was in anyway because of his ground-breaking 18th century invention).

Tangye and the Voice Contortionist 1886.

[Here is an amusing illustration of Richard Tangye's literary style. It is somewhat :eek:fftopic:, but the incident did take place aboard a steamer (and off the coast of Thylacine land!). ;) The anecdote is taken from his Notes of My Fourth Voyage to the Australian Colonies (1886).]

Tuesday 9 February 1886. Hobart.

... One of the greatest nuisances on board "long voyage" steamers is the lady passenger who fancies she can play and sing. If she is young, and pretty good-looking, she will be encouraged in this idea by all the young men on board, and the result is too often a ceaseless "strum" and "scream" from "rosy morn" to long past the "dewy eve". It was our misfortune to have one of these ladies on board, who shrieked and raved and hammered away to our hearts' discontent. She was called the "voice contortionist". So long as she confined her practice to the daytime, it was not of much consequence; but, unfortunately, she would continue it all through almost every evening, when the other passengers were compelled to be in the saloon. Everybody growled and grumbled sotto voce, but no one had the courage to complain, until one evening a young man, honest and unsophisticated, hailing from very far north, finding it impossible to get on with his reading, rose up and, going to the centre of the saloon, called out to the lady at the piano in the gallery above, "Mistress L—, Mistress L—, you would varra much oblige me by shutting up that machine!" The effect was instantaneous: the "machine" was shut up, and we had very much less of it for the rest of the voyage. Of course our north-country friend might have chosen a different method, but he earned our gratitude notwithstanding.

A most interesting class thank you for allowing me in. Motorman's post on the Maudslay company is most interesting to me as my father often mentioned going to Maudslay's and now I understand why with his development of an automated vehicle wash.
Here is the Tangye memorial at Key Hill.

Key_Hill_17_July_04_009_Tangye_memorial.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The incorrect 1852 date for the Tangye "Cornubia" steam carriage, which has caused us no end of confusion, comes from:

L H Weeks. Automobile Biographies. New York: The Monograph Press, 1904. (Links to the archive.org e-text.)

It must be a typo, because the author quotes the Tangye autobiography in his very next paragraph. Never mind, because he makes up for it by giving us the following snippet concerning the Murdoch (aka Murdock) steam carriage model of 1784 (see posts #125, #129, #131): "it is still in existence, and in the possession of the Messrs Richard and George Tangye".

This connection puts Murdoch / Murdock right on topic (though I reckon he was in anyway because of his ground-breaking 18th century invention).

I'm pretty sure Murdoch's model steam carriage was in the Science Museum (may have been a reproduction). Is it at the Think Tank now?

... Joseph’s son John worked for many years at Tangye’s and died at the age of 53 in March 1918. He is commemorated on the memorial. It was said John’s early death was a result of the pressure of the war effort. ...

Thanks Wendy - The broken column I always thought poignant and simply representing death but I see that the symbolism is of early death which your quote verifies

The Wikipedia William Murdoch biography contains the answer to your question, Seabird, but there's no mention there of Tangye's possession of the Murdoch model. I wonder if it was the Tangye family that donated it to the Science Museum?

Richard Tangye on Murdoch.

[From Richard Tangye's autobiography (1889). Seabird, Lloyd and I (and Richard Tangye) seem to have done your homework for you! ;) Don't worry, there are plenty more things to research here in the BSB classroom. I presume that the Art Gallery later passed the Murdoch model to the Science Museum.]

My father was born at Redruth, a town famous for having been the birthplace of two of the greatest inventions ever made, for it was here that Murdock lived when he invented gas-lighting, and astonished the miners by carrying a lantern, supplied with coal-gas from a bladder which he carried under his arm. Here, too, he constructed the first locomotive ever made in England, and tried it in the lane leading to the church and in front of my father's house.

Dr Smiles in his Lives of the Engineers well describes the scene. Murdock had tried several experiments with the little locomotive in his own house but at length he determined to try it out of doors, on which occasion, small as the engine was, it fairly outran the speed of the inventor.

"One night, after returning from his duties at the mine at Redruth, Murdock went out with his model locomotive to the avenue leading to the church, about a mile from the town. The walk was narrow, straight, and level. Having lit the lamp, the water soon boiled, and off started the engine with the inventor after it. Shortly after he heard distant shouts of terror. When he came up to his machine, he found the vicar in great fear, thinking that the hissing, spitting little demon was no other than the Evil One himself."

[Footnotes:]

In 1889 my brother and I caused a granite slab to be placed in the wall of Murdock's house, having the following inscription in raised letters of lead:— "William Murdock lived in this house 1782-1798; made the first Locomotive here, and tested it in 1784; invented Gas-lighting, and used it in this house 1792."

When James Watt heard of Murdock's experiment, being naturally of a timid disposition, he became much alarmed that Murdock's energies might be distracted from the business of stationary engines, and he requested Boulton to remonstrate gently with Murdock, and get him to drop the project. Accordingly Murdock did so, never taking up the subject again. The model had been continuously in possession of the Murdock family till 1883, when it was purchased from Murdock's great grandson by Messrs Richard and George Tangye, and lent by them to the Melbourne Exhibition of 1889, where it was exhibited alongside Symington's model of the earliest Marine Engine. It is now [1889] in the Birmingham Art Gallery.

Re: Richard Tangye: the Times Obituary 1906.

[Aidan, thanks indeed for the excellent Times Richard Tangye obit: what a wonderful find! He is definitely "my kind" of steam pioneer! I hope you don't mind my re-posting it here (somewhat edited, and in larger print so I can read it! ;)). It can serve as the "definitive biography" of the great man on the BSB thread, and later I will annotate it to include all the additional facts we have unearthed.]...

For completeness & transcription checking if not interest, here is the Obit using the Times archive (Tip I have shared before but am so pleased with it that I reiterate - Your modern day Library Card gets you into a world of online subscription-paid wonder for free!) - now added PDF for those with prescriptions

Last edited:
So begins another productive day in the BSB classroom! I am immensely gratified by the way our co-operative approach is yielding such a wealth of results. Such is the power of the BHF! Keep up the good work everyone. :)

So Richard Tangye and his brothers were humane and thoughtful employers (and perhaps a tad paternalistic?). In this they continued the fine Birmingham Quaker tradition of the Cadbury family. Thanks, Wendy! :)

I am sure they were and seem particularly enlightened compared with some of the horror stories of the times - Now I appreciate art as much as the next person (cries of sit down Molesworth, you swell) but coming from a largely undistinguished line of workers, I can't help feeling that some of the 1400 men may have preferred an extra 1/- a week than the opportunity to gaze upon the wondrous, little caring what a treasure trove would be bequeathed to future generations.

Re: Tangye and the Voice Contortionist 1886.

[Here is an amusing illustration of Richard Tangye's literary style. It is somewhat :eek:fftopic:, but the incident did take place aboard a steamer (and off the coast of Thylacine-land!). ;) The anecdote is taken from his Notes of My Fourth Voyage to the Australian Colonies (1886).]

Tuesday 9 February 1886. Hobart.... ....

It gave me the image of "grate Latin lies: The girls were beautiful" sitting at "the skool piano you kno the one which go WAM PLUNK BISH BASH ZUNK" :D

[Molesworth, you're in good form today! :D]

[Here's a contemporary (somewhat bemused and sceptical) account of the Murdoch model steam carriage at the Centennial International Exhibition (Melbourne, 1888-1889). From the Melbourne Argus (Tuesday 18 September 1888). Accessed from NLA Australian Newspapers.]

THE LOCOMOTIVE OF 1781

This is a funny looking little object, shown in a glass case outside the office of the British commissioners, with a label, bearing the follow inscription, attached: —

"This is the first locomotive ever run in England, upon which the whole railway system of the world has been built. It was constructed by Murdoch, the assistant of James Watt, and co-inventor with him of the steam engine. It was constructed in 1781, but not tried in actual operation till 1784. Messrs Richard and George Tangye, of Birmingham, purchased it from Murdoch's great grandson, and have considerately sent it to the Melbourne Exhibition as an historical relic of the greatest interest and importance."

This engine is about 15 in long, has three wheels of large diameter, the foremost working on a pivot for steering purposes, and a long lever attached, by which the engineer in the rear part of the machine operates it at will. Little else is visible but a square box and smoke stack, so that its works must be taken on faith.

A most interesting class thank you for allowing me in. Motorman's post on the Maudslay company is most interesting to me as my father often mentioned going to Maudslay's and now I understand why with his development of an automated vehicle wash.
Here is the Tangye memorial at Key Hill.

Thanks Wendy, can I sit next to you in klass? I'll carry your satchel for you. Your mention of the automated wash interested me as Maudsley moved to Great Alne, Alcester and a firm from Alcester supplied bus wash machines to both Midland Red and the BCT.
Sorry Mr Thylacine Sir, I got distracted away from the thread by this new gurl.:blush::eek:fftopic:

Last edited:
Aiden Molesworth stopp pulling that gurls pigtails or I won't show you these pictures wot I hav found for you of a Leyland Steam Mower.

Why thank you both - I thought it may have just been me...again :wave:. In an attempt to justify & direct the thread back:

James Sumner of Lancashire patented the first steam-powered lawn mower in 1893. His machine burned petrol and/or kerosene as fuel. After numerous advances, the machines were sold by the Stott Fertilizer and Insecticide Company of Manchester and later, the Sumner's took over sales. The company they controlled was called the Leyland Steam Motor Company.

Extracts of Leyland History - https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/wiki/Lancashire_Steam_Motor_Co :

1896 Formed from J. Sumner by James Sumner, Henry Spurrier, Henry Spurrier (II) and George Stretton Spurrier. The company started by making steam wagons from premises in Herbert Street, Leyland, where they employed 20 persons. This brought together the skills of Henry (II) who describes himself as a steam engine maker, James Sumner who was a blacksmith employing several people and the money from Henry (Senior) and George who were wealthy from being oil merchants and later farmers.

1897 Henry Spurrier (II) and William Sumner showed their first steam vehicle at the Royal Agricultural Show where they won the top prize. (It doesn't state but their steam Bus dates from same vintage)

Re: Richard Tangye: the Times Obituary 1906.

... now added PDF for those with prescriptions

Thank for that, Molesworth. I used the PDF of the Times Tangye obit to check and correct my version (post #135), restoring the original punctuation and paragraphing. I have done a little "modernising", for example changing "Clement-street" to "Clement Street", and spelling "shillings" and numerals in full. I hope the historical perfectionists are not too disappointed. Now I'm going to rest my aching eyeballs (I need to see my optometrist!) and eat my tea. See you all later. ;)

Thanks Wendy, can I sit next to you in klass? I'll carry your satchel for you. Your mention of the automated wash interested me as Maudslay moved to Great Alne, Alcester and a firm from Alcester supplied bus wash machines to both Midland Red and the BCT.
Sorry Mr Thylacine Sir, I got distracted away from the thread by this new gurl.:blush::eek:fftopic:

Of course you can sit next to me but no dipping my plaits in the ink well! You have my attention now with the information on Maudsley's my Dad mentioned them often I wonder if the firm was linked in some way to Smith Bros and Webb. Sorry Thylacine Sir I got overexcited with me new class mate:stare:!:eek:fftopic:

Back