• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bingley Hall

I remember a cast iron gents' urinal nearby - a pissoire, in France. I wonder where that went? There's one still around near the Jewellery Quarter railway station.

Maurice/Mossy, you're very welcome. It was the same one that JennyAnn was trying to link to but for some reason her link wouldn't work so I was happy to post a more direct link which thankfully did. :)

If anyone has any private photos, playbill/programme information or any personal memories they wish to share either here or directly, I would be most interested to hear from you, inluding you too Richie.

all the best again to everyone for now
Nick (my father's name, incidently, was Larry Jay who used to be a silent comedian before joining Dr Crock's Crackpots).

PS If anyone is interested, there is a clip lasting 2.21 minutes on YouTube showing my father doing his comedy mime. It's a mime of a woman followed by a man sewing a button onto a jacket and kindly posted by my half-brother Paul (Eugene Cheese) who is the young man shown in the first segment playing in a phone box with my father and another so far unrecognisable man with a beard. In the unlikely event anyone should happen to recognise him, I would be very grateful for any info or a name. Thank you again. Nick [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcMXpmlxzsQ"]YouTube - How a woman, then a man sows on a button[/ame]

I saw Dr Crock and his Crackpots with my dad when I was about 6 or 7 at Bingley Hall. Never ever saw them again anywhere, yet can still remember them giving me huge pleasure. Brilliant memory from waaaay back. They must have been good to subliminally impress a youngster like that!

Hi Dennis: I too have great memories of seeing Dr. Crock and his Crackpots at Bingley Hall. I remember going with my two brothers and our parents sat us down to watch the show whilst they went to see some of the exhibits. My youngest brother escaped from our grasp and ran around in front of the stage and the band had some fun with his antics. I have never forgotten this.
If you Google "Dr. Crock and his Crackpots" you will find several references to them. I liked this link with lots of photos from the 1940's. https://www.chuckleclub.com/mysite/crock.htm

My dad loved Dr Crock and his crackpots, I also went to see them but can not remember a lot I must have been about 4 or 5 think it was before I started school. No one knows what I am on about when I mention their name so this is quite good for me! Whether or not I have got mixed up or not I dont know but I thought it was the same show where Max Wall appeared too, I remember really crying because he frightened me when he tried to sit on my lap, I shuddered even as a adult when I seen him.

My dad loved Dr Crock and his crackpots, I also went to see them but can not remember a lot I must have been about 4 or 5 think it was before I started school. No one knows what I am on about when I mention their name so this is quite good for me! Whether or not I have got mixed up or not I dont know but I thought it was the same show where Max Wall appeared too, I remember really crying because he frightened me when he tried to sit on my lap, I shuddered even as a adult when I seen him.

Sounds like my experience too! Max Wall - brilliant. I also remember The Morton Fraser Harmonica Gang (?) somewhere in my deep childhood recesses...

Brilliant Lloyd, you are STILL a star (thought you'd got run over by a bus). That brought back some great memories alright. The Three Monarchs were a variation on this theme that I also vaguely remember...also there were lots of 'snake oil' salesman demonstrating all sorts of brilliant labour saving devices. A bit like a prehistoric one man Lakeland...yes, dad bought all sorts of rubbish from Bingley Hall Exhibitions. Probably still in a cupboard somewhere. I only went for the music seemingly, and to stop him going to the pub (mom's ploy).

Last edited:
Bingley Hall Boys & girls exhibitions 1960s

Does anyone remember a children's expo/exhibitions 1965-69,

I have strong memories of being at some event, saw a Dalek & also saw lion cubs that in some way where connected to the the film 'Born free'....& some where there is a picture of me holding a lion cub!!

cheers Donapr

Re: Bingley Hall - Dancing Waters

The Dancing Waters at Bingley Hall were previously mention in this thread in Posts 15, 53, 68, 69, 74 and 95.

Do these 2 Picture postcards show the Dancing Waters at Bingley Hall?

#1 is titled - The Prismatic Fairy Fountain at the Exhibition.
The Prismatic Fairy Fountain.jpg
#2 is titled - Stanley's Fairy Fountain
Bingley Hall - Stanleys Fairy Fountain.jpgThe Prismatic Fairy Fountain.jpgBingley Hall - Stanleys Fairy Fountain.jpg

Last edited:
Hi guys
Regarding bingley hall exhibitions
Did any one of you ever find a blue star tucked behind any things they displayed at the ideal home exhibitions
Every year we went we would search that hall looking in fridges arm chairs bath rooms you named the house hold item we checked
I reckon it was a roost to get people to come in
They claimed search for the star and win a thousand pound prize but you never heard of anybody winning at least I never did
Was you a winner best wishes astonian,,,,

A 1931 BCS Jubilee Exhibition photo. Love the cloche hats. The decor, the hats - so typical of the time. A little boy/girl has a front seat view of the band. Viv.

View attachment 93765

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bingley Hall Various

Bingley Hall - Central Ave
Bingley Hall - Central Ave.JPG

Bingley Hall - Orchestra
Bingley Hall - Orchestra.jpg

Bingley Hall 2.jpg

Bingley Hall 3.jpgBingley Hall - Central Ave.JPGBingley Hall - Orchestra.jpgBingley Hall 2.jpgBingley Hall 3.jpg

Last edited:
Wonderful photo's Two, thank you very much for posting them. The Tangye one is of special interest

Great photos Two. The 'Shortex' they were giving away free on the BCS stall doesn't sound too appetising - tallow!

Shortex is a butter-flavoured rich short pastry margarine produced from a blend of tallow and vegetable fats and oils. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 11
And I like these two features of the 1912 Tella Camera Co photo in post #114. The flags mostly Commonwealth I expect, but also USA, just show how widespread trade with other countries was in 1912. And a rest area with lovely comfy chairs. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 20
Excellent photo Stitcher, I was a fan of Bingley Hall, loved the exhibitions they held there

Back