• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bingley Hall

The Bingley Hall 1886. Len.

"World's Fair at Bingley Hall: Under the expansive denomination of the "World's Fair," an exhibition and entertainment opened at Bingley Hall last night and embraces one of the most varied shows of the Barnum type that has ever appeared in Birmingham. The proprietors of the "show" are Messrs. J. Birkett and Randall Williams, and the general management of the affair is undertaken by Mr. John Maitland. The show includes almost everything embraced in a huge fair, from a first-class menagerie to the usual appartenances of shooting galleries, giants, and boxing booths. The most interesting section of the show is that which is occupied by the collection of animals known by the name of Bostock and Wombwell's menagerie, and comprising excellent specimens from various parts of the globe. . . . One of the chief items of attraction was the optical exhibition by Mr. Randal Williams, the entertainment last night consisting of a very clever performance of "Faust". The shooting galleries and kindred things are arranged in rows across the hall, and at the entrance is a large contrivance comprised of "sixty galloping horses," worked on an improved system. In the centre of the circle of horses a splendid" operatic organ," by Gavioli, of Paris is fixed, and during the performances plays selections fom popular operas. Around the organ a number of figures are fixed representing the different nationalities of the world. In addition to the above-mentioned attractions several curiosities are on view, including the Headless Man, the Giant Boy (15 years of age, and 6ft, 7in. high), the Great Soldier Giant, Thauma, a huge Shark, and a variety of other novelties." (Birmingham Daily Post, 25 Dec 1886. Provided by Birmingham Central Library, Chamberlain Sq Birmingham).

apologies if this lovely pic has been posted before but it's one I have not come across until now....
(Replacement. not the same photo, but of the same exhibition)
lyn:)

Attachments

• 1886 bingley hall exhibitiin.jpg
    1886 bingley hall exhibitiin.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 16
  • bingley hall 1886 exhibition 2.jpg
    bingley hall 1886 exhibition 2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited by a moderator:
Lyn what a great photo . Where was the location was it the "Old Bingley Hall? the Building looks quite modern in design it appears to have a corrorgated steel roof. Dek

hi dek...sorry i dont know where it was held..im sure ive read it somewhere but cant remember..i bet someone will know....i wouldnt mind but i was only using google to try and find a solar pond pump and this pic came up...dont ask:D:D

ps..still cant find a pump but at least i found the pic if only by accident...:D

lyn

Hi Lyn & Dek

I have the photo and the information I have with it is, "Exhibtion of Local manufactures and natural History, Bingley Hall, 1886".

Phil

hi dek...sorry i dont know where it was held..im sure ive read it somewhere but cant remember..i bet someone will know....i wouldnt mind but i was only using google to try and find a solar pond pump and this pic came up...dont ask:D:D

ps..still cant find a pump but at least i found the pic if only by accident...:D

lyn

Didn't you take that photo Lyn ?
24.gif

Re: Ideal Home Exhibition

Yes....Lonnie Donegan....(does your chewing gum loose its flavour on the bedpost overnight)
I and several friends went to an all night show back in the mid sixties..(11pm..5 am) Yardbirds, The Nice, Animals....Entrance was one pound......Memories!!

Back in the "Good Old Days" there was a fellow by the name of "Brown" who had the electrical contract for (repairs and maintenance?) at Bingly Hall. I am talking 1950's.
Can anyone shed any light for me. The only thing I recall was that he drove an Austin Princess. I do remember my father taking me to see him once, inside the Bingley Hall buildings.

Old Brummie

Old brummie don,t know if this is the same guy but there was a company on the corner of Constitution Hill and Gt Hampton St called Brown Brothers ( or Partners) back in the 50s-60s they were an electrical company.Dek

Sadly Dek I don't remember anything about the company. I know he had 2 sons but they were both army - even after the war, and I am not at all sure if they went into the business when they were eventually demobbed. So I don't know if there were others (management types) involved or even if there were other premisses than Bingley Hall. But thanks anyway.

Old Brummie.

Long shot, but anyone remember the 'all night raves' at Bingley. Went to one, must have been about 1968. Dave Dee, Dozy, Beakey Mick and Titch, The Yardbirds, Animals (I think) Varsity Rag and much more. £1 to get in

yes.......i went to that one.......not bad for a pound was it!
Remember the backdrop behind the stage with the coloured liquid magnified creating the phsycodelic effect.

i mentioned this a couple of months ago on the" Bingley Hall"thread its location is the old Hockley Bus garage just driving by and noticed the sign. Dek

Thanks Dek I had not noticed your post. An ex colleague of Linda's went there yesterday to some event and it seemed odd that he had been to Bingley Hall.

This depends whether you mean the New Bingley Hall or the New New Bingley Hall!! The New BH is near Stafford and the New New one is by Hockley Flyover!!

I was not aware that there were any links with the Bingley Hall that stood off Broad Street andd the one in Staffordshire - so to me as a Brummie the 'New Bingley Hall' is that shown in the above link. In fact its name is actually 'New Bingley Hall '.

If my memory serves me right the New Bingley Hall in Stafford is on the Uttoxeter Rd and better known as the Staffordshire county grounds am i in the right place i apologise if not, to my mind this has been there for at least 40 years . Dek

• County showground Stafford
  • EXHIBITION HALLS
The Showground offers a choice of 5 exhibition Halls please click on the links below for plans and further details:
Bingley Hall - 6000 square metres of exhibition space with 200 seat restaurant, two bars and shower & toilet facilities
Prestwood Centre - 1360 square metres of exhibition space with a permanent link to the Argyle Centre incorporating toilet facilities
Argyle Centre - 1150 square metres of exhibition space
Sandylands - 1000 square metres of exhibition space with integral toilet facilities
Staffordshire Pavilion - 590 square metres of exhibition space with integral toilet facilities

Mike do you know if the New Staffordshire one actually replaces a previous Staffordshire one of the same name?

I was only talking about Bingley Hall the other night, the one off Broad Street. They used to have some good exhibitions.

In today's Birmingham Mail on Carl Chinn's page there is a photo of Bingley Hall (the house) with the adjoining exhibition hall shown.

Mighty curious.
It hardly inspires confidence when the sales team spells city's, "cities".

The Staffs 'New Bingley Hall' was marketed as a replacement venue for the old Bingley Hall on Broad Street. This is why I mentioned the connection. As far as I know it was a completely new build and there was no building on the site before it. Its also known as the 'County Showground' a name also pinched from elsewhere!!

I hope they are having bands on at the New Bingley Hall (Hockley flyover) as it would be VERY convenient for me!!

The old (original) Bingley Hall was quite an ancient wonder! All those cast iron columns and brick. It seemed to accomodate everything from agricultural shows to evangelical Christian cruscades to pop bands.
Presumably Bingley was the name of the developer.
Actually, there was no reason to demolish the old tub as there is a vast amount of land about, central.
It would have made a nice arts and crafts exhibition facility, with a scrub a dub-dub, paint job and intelligent lighting.
Alongside, built over the canal tunnel (Gas Street) was a splendid large church of neo Gothic (basic) influence, which belonged to the Unitarians. I think it was limestone (tall steeple). That was pulverized for no good reason. Further along, same side, was RC church which was one of the first modern such after the Restoration. A lot carpentry with good quality of light.
That was also reduced to rubble: and was an historical landmark (obviously).

I used to go there as a kid with my folks to the ideal home exibition. I remember dancing waters in front of the new rep by that stone thingy "that is now across the road from where davenports used to be" there was an ornamental pond in the park where centenary square now stands. I helped out a couple of seasons at Bingey hall with Chipperfields in 1973 & 1974 I spent quite along time standing around as we were employed to watch the doors due to fire regulations each door needed a body to stand there and an make a sure it was kept clear I spent a few nights
watching the "dear boys" saying goodnight to each other as they left the New Rep, stage door,across the road in King Alfred place in what appeared to me at the time as a rather strange tone. ,
The symphony hall and Icc swallowed up the next road along broad street including where Bingley hall stood. Bingley hall was immediatley opposite the New reperatory theatre and ran along Broad street to the next road king Edward place which has now gone. Along with the Tow rope cafe which ran along with a few shops in the same building as Bingley hall along Broad street.

Back